GPU card issue

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fidox

GPU card issue

Post by fidox »

Hi !

I want to ask you , if someone here have any similar experiences with this issue.
I want to set up my older computer for my friend, so we purchased an used GPU card.
It uses extra 2 + 6-pin connector.
My power supply is 650W and it already have extra 2 x 6-pin connectors and before i purchased this card i mentioned all the details to seller
and he says, that, it should run normally on my computer.

So, i installed card into chassis and power on. At the beginning it was fine, then after some time, some lines appears and won't go away.
Screen is not blinking or anything similar, or black out, just those lines are always there.
Like you can see on pictures.

Are there possible 2 things :
-faulty GPU card
-weak power supply (seller mentioned "if" weak power supply , i can see blinking or black screen, but not the case here), power supply is quite new

I can send back card in 14 days, so i can get money back, but anyway, want to ask you here first, if any have some more experiences.
I always purchased new GPU cards, so i didn't have any issues so far.

Best,
Matej
Attachments
WP_20161015_10_36_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_10_36_16_Pro.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 2653 times
WP_20161015_09_43_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_09_43_34_Pro.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2658 times
WP_20161015_09_43_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20161015_09_43_14_Pro.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 2658 times
pastor

Re: GPU card issue

Post by pastor »

What type of gpu is it? It looks like its broken. 650W should be ok for most cards. I had a card looking like that after failed overclocking.
fidox

Post by fidox »

It's an AMD Sapphire HD4890 1gb DDR5.

I have also tried few minutes ago in another computer of mine, which has even better power supply and those lines appears right away.
Sometimes it's maybe few minutes fine, but then lines appears back again.

It was purchased from seller - store, which was already second hand, so i believe they didn't test this card first.
Like i said, i can send this card back, but anyway.
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (213.67 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
pastor

Post by pastor »

that card uses approx 180w idle and 280w under load, so depending on what CPU etc you have it might come close to the limit, but i rather think the GPU is the iussue. Either the cooler isnt properly fitted, or it is damaged in another way. i would return it.
valis

Post by valis »

Bad ram on the GPU, the card is bad.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Sorry, but Valis is right, your card is unfortunately bad, get it back as soon as posible, it's your best move.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks for all the replies.

I just wanted to hear opinions, cause i didn't have any issues before, ofcourse, i also didn't purchased second hand GPU card before, just creamware cards :)

Probably, in the computer store, they didn't test card, probably also overclocked or maybe it was part of old for new card and they didn't pay much attention.
So, they gave me 14 days guarantee if anything goes wrong.

Anyway, it's annoying.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Most of the problems I have had in a PC came from a bad GPU or a problem related to it. They can be very tricky, so it is the fist thing I would check when having a problem in my PC.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

probably a dead topic (and dead card) but that definitely looks like bad RAM on the card.
pastor

Post by pastor »

half-related, forgive me :)

This might relate to AMD-cards as well (i haven't checked), but i know for sure the new NVIDIA-cards are semi-passive, which means the fan will stay OFF (not running low, but actually not rotating) until it hits 60 celsius. Damn handy if you combine your DAW with other things, the 1060 only starts the fan(s) with demanding games, and even then they are damn quiet.

Reason i am mentioning this; the 1050's are soon out, and if they work the same way you can have pretty low wattage, silent, and cheap alternative to buying second hand stuff which is either silent or performing well.
fidox

Post by fidox »

Thanks for all the replies and for all the information.

That card has already gone back to seller. They didn't say much, just , yes, not working.
They tested it again in front of me, so, there was no problems to return it back :)