Antelope Orion Studio

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Antelope Orion Studio

Post by ronnie »

Intriguing: "Orion Studio’s secret weapon is the extremely powerful Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) device. Its massive parallel processing capabilities are far ahead of DSP chips used in similar devices. Through smart algorithms, oversampling and custom-tweaked models, the FPGA provides the lowest latency possible, allowing you to create up to four independent, (32 Channel X 4) zero latency mixes. Those can be easily assigned to any output including the two separate headphone outs."

Claims of very accurate analog hw effects emulation. No synths or samplers though.

Any thoughts out there. I like the interface. Would it be too difficult to achieve in Scope? Pretty ambitious with SDK I would think.

[EDIT/] Referring only to doing a GUI along the same lines for Scope. The current (revolutionary when introduced) Scope routing window is always in an X-Y plane (viewed from above) but this GUI more like a z-plane view through a console "pane" with the routing more like mausmuso's MIDI router/filter matrix than the "cables" paradigm. I haven't really thought it out too deeply but it seems that a z-plane approach would also be nice to have in Scope. As in nice but not necessary. Bottom line is does it sound better? Does it have less latency? I don't see how it could. No synths here either. Nothing more than test tones, not even noise! No really custom plugs like the one's we're spoiled with. But "could it core a apple"? (as in Art Carney, not Bill Gates, if you know what I mean). [/EDIT]

http://antelopeaudio.com/products/orion-studio/
Last edited by ronnie on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
garyb

Re: Antelope Orion Studio

Post by garyb »

ok, it uses a CPU.
tomato-tomahto.

DSPs are good for what they are good for an FPGA processor is good at slightly different things. neither are better, per se-
it's more a matter of function. there are strengths and advantages in both. the main way that DSPs are better are in scalability and the fact that they are purpose designed. FPGA processors are usually more powerful, but they generally are used as single processors.

that is simply a matter of advertising-speak. good algorithms are good algorithms in the digital domain.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Truth.
I have FPGA based Hardware module for a Hammond B3/122 Leslie and it is fantastic.
I like FPGA & DSP over CPU for instruments FX and real time work.
Thanks for the link.
Will be reading up on this.
valis

Post by valis »

RME has used FPGA's for their totalmix and totalmix FX for a long time. The mixing & FX are just fine, and they insure that all i/o is bit-transparent when settings are normalized (0), so if you choose to only pass signals through and add a touch of monitoring FX, the recorded audio is the same as if there was no FPGA in between the i/o and your DAW.

This looks like TotalmixFX with more features (the modelled fx) and a jazzed up GUI.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hey Valid.
How's Total Mix with external hardware and MIDI?
braincell

Post by braincell »

The RME Babyface is fantastic.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The XITE-1 also contains an FPGA for interfacing to hardware. I believe DSP1/2 talk to it, hence why all these hardware and software I/O needs to be on those DSPs.