Mavis! doc 2015 too see

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

Mavis! doc 2015 too see

Post by hubird »

I saw the fantastic and moving documentary from 2015 on tv tonight made by Jessica Edwards about Mavis, first lady of the Staples Singers. 2015.

Love our public broadcasting, as there are no commercial breaks :)
Surprise, it will be on line from the broadcasting site until 16 juni 2016 23:55 :D, in case your Netflix doesn't have it.
Here's the link:

http://www.npo.nl/het-uur-van-de-wolf/0 ... ON_1245978

You'll see Bob Dylon (young and old) who seriously wanted to mary her (hey, you didn't know that eh?), dr. M. L. King, Bonnie Raitt, The Band, (Take a load), and Prince in his studio, coaching her when recording her voice for an album which has never been published as a result of his clash with Warner Brothers.

Howlin' Wolf lived around the corner when she was young, 'Pop' Staple played oft together with him.
It explains where my strong associations with his voice (!) come from when I heared the first record of the Singers in the doc. A woman are we talking about :o 8)
dawman

Re: Mavis! doc 2015 too see

Post by dawman »

PBS over here is also very educational and great historical value like the Jazz DVD Series I recently bought.
Prefer memories I truly cherish stay out of the utopian cloud sent to watch over us, and have hardware DVDs....

ANkyu
hubird

Post by hubird »

dawman wrote:PBS over here is also very educational and great historical value like the Jazz DVD Series I recently bought.
Prefer memories I truly cherish stay out of the utopian cloud sent to watch over us, and have hardware DVDs....

ANkyu
I see.

Really nice to hear about your PBsystem :)

Yet a PBS still smells to communisme, don't you think? :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Our government sadly creates 2 worthless programs that benefits those who created said program, for every good program they create.

The benefit of having a collection of historical facts chronologically created is you get a reference point.
I now have a history of all music, which is organized sound, from the Byzantine era until the end of the 20th century.
I fill in the gaps with music from other cultures than us priviliged whites, and try and draw parallels.

This is where Ancient Gayliens and ancient texts, including the Epic of Gilgamesh help out with a bigger picture.
hubird

Post by hubird »

Here the general range of programs is reasonably balanced, I get what I need.
When those late night shows stop for the long summer stop there's room for nice docs, often music related.
Probably as elsewhere in the world.
I miss the daily talkshows, but those docs are a welcome change of meal.

Young people don't look tv anymore, they consume everything on line.
Some say this phenomenon will be a bomb under the public financing system on the long run.
I don't worrry, I will be demented then :D