Arturia Synclavier

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Arturia Synclavier

Post by braincell »

Nestor

Re: Arturia Synclavier

Post by Nestor »

Wow wow wow!!! I didn't know about it! This is great! I love them... :D
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

If you get it, let me know Brain or post a review about it here :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

Would love to but I have other shopping priorities this year.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Memories of college days spent endlessly tweaking patches....

G
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Great they have not only the original designer on board, but the source code as well. That always makes the difference between a reissue, and an emulation.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I've always found the Arturia TAE models to be really good. I'm pretty sure they were first with circuit emulation in the Native world with the best native Mini Moog.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

For some reason, the Synclavier sounds have been about the most musical sounds ever created in the history of electronic musical instruments.

There must be perfection somewhere, and these guys that created such sounds have reached the line or spot where creativity and technology meet in perfect harmony, so giving us some of this “perfection”.

Of course, there are much more elaborated instruments today, namely: enormous synths and huge multi-FX platforms, but, as I suggest, for some reason these sounds still prevail and, in a way, we kind of emulate them with all kind of instruments.

I think the Synclavier instruments are a mine of gold!

I’m so glad they have made it possible for all of us! I look forward the moment I will get my own copy of it!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Amazing ! Look what I've found by searching synclavier infos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr78ISrTElE

:o
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
hubird

Post by hubird »

nice clip, from a time that you still could be fascinated by the idea of playing guitar with a barking dog sound.
Prince once used a barking dog as snaredrum, and that's where my statement about a barking dog as SD came from, during an interview with Ulanbator in about 1993.
It became the headline of the story, but it was actually an open door already at the time, witnessed also by this clip.

He just touches it, but at the end he's asking himself what the new technology means for the ethical aspects of music.
If you can play piano on your guitar...

Well, 10 to 20 years later electronic (dance) music changed (expanded) all ethics of music, worldwide.
So it was a good question, as they say.

One nice quote about using the new technology:
"It's something that is available to me. You have to trust that your musical instincts gonne be the right one(s)"

This also illustrates why the generations which grow up with the new technology have an advantage: they don't have any 'ethics' to overwin when starting to make (electronic) music, even worse, they skipped the whole band.

It never turns out as you'd expect :D
braincell

Post by braincell »

hubird wrote:
This also illustrates why the generations which grow up with the new technology have an advantage: they don't have any 'ethics' to overwin when starting to make (electronic) music, even worse, they skipped the whole band.

It never turns out as you'd expect :D
I love the tirades where they threaten that musicians will stop making music if things don't change and there will be no more music. Such idiocy.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

And it's Pat Metheny ! The musician who has the highest respect from me ! The guy who uses electronic machines/sounds in a beautiful jazz music since he plays music. He is always searching new sounds, new way of making music. He doesn't has preconceived idea about how to make music and is opened to anything that please him. He is from far the most fantastic musician ever for me. And last but not least, he has a good sense of humor ! Like a lot of jazz musicians.... :D

In 3 words : I like Pat Metheny ! :D
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well somehow I ended up with a free update to my Arturia V collection. There was an update with Analog Lab 2 in my software center. Dunno if it's just a demo but I've been messing with it for way more than 20 mins. My understanding was previous owners had to pay to update version 4 instruments.
Anyway, the point is I found some Synclavier sounds even though I don't have Synclavier in my collection? hmmm
Nice sounds; At first I thought that there wasn't anything that we haven't heard in the last 10yrs of development. Then i got to some distantly familiar classic Synclavier sounds and they were really nice. I was privileged to work with one in our e-lab back in the mid-80's.
Seems to me this is best suited for very thick ambient sounds esp since it's now got 12 partials vice the 4 on the originals. Some juicey FM E-Piano too!
Not sure if i'll spend the 200$ to update the entire package as I've not even entirely gone thru the previous version.

btw: Big Pat Metheny fan. "Still Life Talkin" concert was the best! Just an amazing musician surrounding himself with other amazing musicians.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

JoPo wrote:Amazing ! Look what I've found by searching synclavier infos :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr78ISrTElE

:o
I have seen this video 100 times already yes :D BTW, Pat Metheny is not only one of the best guitar players ever, but much more importantly, one of the best musicians and composers in history, his understanding about music, his vision and conception of it are trully of my like.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Ditto, ditto on Metheny - the guy is unique - the music is unique. And let's not forget Lyle Mays, Steve Rodby, Paul Wertico and Danny Gottlieb and many others along the way. Hmmm. "Along The Way", sounds like a Pat Metheny title.

On point, I downloaded the Synclavier demo, and I can't find my socks.

I remember going to New England Digital with Kashif (we were in the same band in the early 80's) and he was knee-deep in the development of the Synclavier so we got lots of hands on and socks off. The price was way out of our league so we couldn't keep it. We were already in hoc for a Yamaha CP-80, B-3, Rhodes 73, Arp Odyssey, Solina, Mini Moog, RMI and the poor man's Synclavier - the Apple based AlphaSyntauri with custom FM software by Paul Lehrman. But now? This native beast is AWESOME. Got to save my pennies for this one - it's a native keeper.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

In the early 80s I was lucky to get a gig interning for Laurie Anderson on her Home Of The Brave movie project. Check it out if you have not seen it. Synclavier all over it. It was the heart of her set up... Well maybe next to her voice and violin. Anyway, her model was a later one that had the resynthesis and sampling abilities. I'm a bit sad to see that this emulation isn't of that version.

First thing I noticed with this emulation is that... Well it's somewhat better than the original. There would be all sort of artifacting in the FM engine under some conditions and the emulation didn't seem to have it. Smooth as a baby's bottom. What I do like about this one is the ability to lower the bit rate and get a really nice grit.

I'm going to have to crack the manual on this one for sure. It seems really great but I have to admit I don't quite get it yet. I did upgrade my V Collection to basically get this synth. The MiniV, that was sounding pretty long in the tooth compared to Monark or even Minimax, is also much improved. I think Moog Modular V has also been worked on. The rest of the emulations sound exactly the same from what I can tell. Decent, but not lighting the world on fire.

I think their UI designer/artist should be fired, or the person who directed them to their final interfaces should be put in stocks for a weekend. I could go on, but now the UIs are using massive amounts of RAM. I wish they put the resources to adding over sampling to the synth engines. Now I lose memory for images of wood and keys. :roll: Also, I get following the design of the synth you're emulating, but when you add your own mod matrix, have it follow a convention that matches all your instruments. Why do I have to wonder where (or if) this feature exists?

Some of the other offerings seem pretty good too. The Vox Continental sounds as harsh and cheesey as I remember mine sounding. Piano V sounds usable too. I wish there were more odd models though, like some weird prepared piano stuff... What would a piano harp mounted to a VW Bug sound like? That type of thing.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I don't see how the UI can possibly take that much RAM when we have gigabytes of free RAM space these days.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

braincell wrote:I don't see how the UI can possibly take that much RAM when we have gigabytes of free RAM space these days.
Stupid things like giant bit maps of wood panels and ludicrously stupid moves like having every key image be unique because your UI designer thought it would be cute to show some sort of global lighting that spanned the keyboard. I think it also loads up all the instances of each possible size so you can switch sizes without rebooting the plug in. Rookie mistakes.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I just watched a synclavier video review and it looks really awesome ! Even if it's the first digital synth, it's quiet modern and has been improved, especialy fm synthesis.

In french only but there must be some in english somewhere...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenfWOGFsDw
Marco

Post by Marco »

Sorry, but for me this synclavier isnt sooooo super, there are better stuff out there. I make music, but the Faszination of the synclavier arturia is not mine.

There is a Lot of vst Instruments , for me in my head there is an overflow error now.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!