Computer industry really suffering;Intel will cut 12,000 job

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Sounddesigner

Computer industry really suffering;Intel will cut 12,000 job

Post by Sounddesigner »

There has been little progress in Personal Computers advancements recently and it looks like it will be this way for a very long time. Primarily core-stacking and hyperthreading have been the norm and status-quo and it looks like this will continue to be, sadly such is only Substitute-Power and sadly True-Power such as actual large-speed-increases doesn't seem to be in the near future. Intel is cutting 12,000 jobs due to decline in PC sales. Intel will start to focus more on microchips that power data centers and Internet connected devices. Sales in Personal Computer industry (wich Intel helped founded) are seriously declining and I suspect it's cause all the smaller portable computers people are using more and more and that most average users of desktop computers don't need more powerfull computers. All though most Music Engineers and Composers have enough power ATM still the Audio industry ALWAYS can use more power for better Plugin-algorithms, REALtime Low-latency-performance, Larger projects, higher-sample-rate-projects, etc but it seems we'll be getting VERY little True-Power-Increase and only just more Substitute-Power sadly. Hopefully dedicated DSP's will start increasing more dramatically in power soon to compensate, if not the best of both worlds still remain most ideal IMV.

Here's a link - https://www.yahoo.com/news/intel-cut-12 ... nance.html

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nestor

Re: Computer industry really suffering;Intel will cut 12,000

Post by Nestor »

I don't think we need more of anything... anyway... but if you need to record big time, get a big Scope System, and you're done. If you need much more power, then get a server Xeon machine and you're done. If even like this you need something bigger, you can find a way to link several machines, like VST linke for instance. We are far, very far from being in trouble... my two cents.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
dante

Post by dante »

+1. I've been in the position for the last 16 months where I can say that hardware and system are no longer pose any limitation to creative goals.

A Xeon server would be good though!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Get Xeon quality performance with a C7Z97 OCE with an i7 5775C.
Server quality board with the CPU that new Xeons were made from.
Except this CPU has 128 MB L4 Cache.
It was meant for the Iris Pro GFX.
Disable the GPU/GFX in the BIOS and run a discrete GFX card like the 30 dollar EVGA GeForce 200.
Incredible audio CPU.
If youre using sample the pre fetch algorithims are accellerated for streaming samples.
If those samples are on an M.2 you can load and stream twice the amount of an i7 4790k with an SSD.

Its a rare CPU that will never be made again.
Works with Z97...
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote:twice the amount of an i7 4790k with an SSD.
Which is what I am running - and yet to max out at 80 tracks @96Khz...!!!
fidox

Post by fidox »

dawman wrote: If those samples are on an M.2

I'm gonna use Samsung SM951 128gb on intel Z190 chipset.
I'm thinking to put OS on that drive or maybe use for audio recording (not decided yet)

Will test this very soon , if everything works fine with Z190 and Scope 5.1 64bit.