VSTi latency - Samplitude ProX2

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

VSTi latency - Samplitude ProX2

Post by krizrox »

Thought I might seek more help here since there are so many experts. I was doing some recording today with my M-Tron VSTi plug-in and we experienced a problem with latency.

When just playing the M-Tron (using a Kurzweil stage piano as the controller/keyboard) everything seemed fine. But as soon as I hit record, there is an additional latency added which made recording a problem. The only way to reset everything was to shut down the Samplitude project and restart it. Normal again until I hit record again (same results if I just hit play). Somehow Samplitude is adding latency to the VSTi but I can't figure out how to solve the problem. Tried adjusting all the usual buffer settings in both Sampltiude and Scope. Tried different keyboards - same result. Tried a different VSTi (one that came bundled with Samplitude) - same results.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and if so, any idea what might be causing the problem? It's probably a simple mouse click but I couldn't find a solution after about 20 minutes of futzing around. Or it could be a bug in Samplitude?
Sounddesigner

Re: VSTi latency - Samplitude ProX2

Post by Sounddesigner »

I know that in Sonar you can disable delay-compensation for the tracks your recording on, can this be done in Samplitude? Delay-compensation naturally can add a lot of latency at recording stage.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sounddesigner wrote:I know that in Sonar you can disable delay-compensation for the tracks your recording on, can this be done in Samplitude? Delay-compensation naturally can add a lot of latency at recording stage.
yeah possibly. it's probably not called delay compensation though. samplitude uses a different vocabulary but I'll look into it thanks! would that explain the slight delay from when you press a key on the keyboard/controller to when you hear sound out of the speakers? lol It's odd that it happens even when just hitting play and listening back. As soon as I press the space bar you can feel/hear the delay reaction in the keyboard.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Yes, delay-compensation adds a delay that can be heard when you press a keyboard key and the sound is not immediately executed. But it shouldn't affect playback as you described so there may be another problem. I would still start with disabling delay-compensation on Recording track to see if it's related to the prolem or broken.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Also, IIRC Samplitude has a hybrid buffer mode/Engine where it uses two different buffer-sizes, one for Playback the other for Recording, try switching to and from this mode if allowed. Really nice feature that all DAWs should have but only a very small few do. It allows for Recording/Monitoring latency to be low and not affected by large Playback buffer or plugins latency in the Playback project wich may be high since it's using a different buffer Engine for Recording.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

be sure you're mot monitoring through Samplitude.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:be sure you're mot monitoring through Samplitude.
monitoring through Scope/Xite. I checked that but thanks for the suggestion.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sounddesigner wrote:Also, IIRC Samplitude has a hybrid buffer mode/Engine where it uses two different buffer-sizes, one for Playback the other for Recording, try switching to and from this mode if allowed. Really nice feature that all DAWs should have but only a very small few do. It allows for Recording/Monitoring latency to be low and not affected by large Playback buffer or plugins latency in the Playback project wich may be high since it's using a different buffer Engine for Recording.

EDITED

yeah I played around with that setting. it didn't seem to make a difference. it had no effect on the latency.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it is impossible for the latency to change just because you are recording.

software monitoring must be enabled for extra latency to result from pressing record. it's recording midi, no?
latency should remain the same when recording as when simply playing the synth through a midi channel. in any case changing Scope settings won't change the latency of the plugin during recording if it's different than when simply playing the synth via the Sam midi track.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I found the problem (thanks to your suggestions!). In Samplitude there is a monitoring setup feature that lets you select between various audio engine modes. It was a simple adjustment to hardware monitoring that solved the problem.

Anyway, problem solved and I learned something in the process. Thanks guys!