Avira Antivirus + Spybot Search & Destroy

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Avira Antivirus + Spybot Search & Destroy

Post by dawman »

Been using these 2 together and they work great.

But I dont need realtime protection on my new DAWs while performing.
I only need these activwted when uodating indtrument libraries
and downloading samples.

Can these be deactivated so they arent showing up in Task Manager using resources
or is there othet choices out there.
Money is no problem.

Ankyu
Nestor

Re: Avira Antivirus + Spybot Search & Destroy

Post by Nestor »

*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

For your antivirus. I'm not sure if this will trully help saving some resource, but try it out:

http://ccm.net/faq/11384-avira-antivir- ... -antivirus
dawman

Post by dawman »

Jeez Nestor you saved the day.
I was thinking about using portable installs but hate to give up real-time usage.

Thanks.. :wink:
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I've tried a lot of malware software in my life. None of it works properly except for Malware Bytes.

I had spybot running and probably a few other things running. Clicked on something wrong or ran something wrong and spybot didnt' care. Ran Malware Bytes and it cleaned up the whole computer (over 600 worth of 'bad stuff') in a few minutes.

I haven't found any other software out there that can do this.

In the end, I just stopped clicking on wrong links and stopped running stuff by accident. I don't use any protection right now and never get viruses.

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

It is true, Malwarebytes is by far the best of them all. And as Jimmy wants its spyware disabled, this could be the best option for him. If you need to, you can switch the program off enterely and then open it back wherever you need it, it takes just seconds. I have been using Malwerebytes for years and yeras for best protection. It updates itself automatically and it gives you a VERY high quality protection whine surfing the web. It is also the best to avoid these stupid bars that now and then trials want to install in your pc. I really recomend it above any other solution, but, of course, always along with a good firewall and antivirus.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Malwarebytes is indeed VERY good.

Malwarebytes works best for eliminating a problem after it's already infected the computer.

if you're going to engage in risky business, then no condom will promise 100% safety. the trio of Avira with Spybot Search and Destroy and Spywareblaster is as complete protection from getting infected as is available without paying. since Spybot protects against host file changes, this protection needs to be turned off in Avira.

use whatever you like. it's not a contest.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, MalwareBytes I've always used after the computer is totally messed up. You need to put the installer on an USB stick and run it from there usually. It will clean it for free which is great.

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Jeez Nestor you saved the day.
I was thinking about using portable installs but hate to give up real-time usage.

Thanks.. :wink:
Yes, simply deactivate the Antivir "guard" like described in the link.

Also, install Piriform CCleaner FREE ... https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Go to "extras" and click on the "autostart" tab.

You´ll see Avira Antivir installed some more applications in addition to the guard,- p.ex. "Avira Launcher".
De-activate w/ CCleaner or better de-install that too, otherwise it´s active always because there´s no way to set it to "manual" or "deactivated" in the Windows services list,- it´s simply greyed out .

In Win XP Pro SP3 and on 2 machines, I was able de-installing everything except the "guard", getting rid of everything which could not be de-activated in autostart.

When working w/ SCOPE and native DAWs like Presonus Studio One Pro, Reason, Reaper, Cantabile etc., I not only de-activate the "guard", I also de-activate the network connection in device manager completely and only activate network connection and Antivir guard on demand when doing updates and/or downloads of surf the web for some info I need for audio-/MIDI work.

On my machines, Windows firewall is active as a Windows service always, but does nothing with network card/ internet connection being disconnected.

Works like a charme.

I also use Malwarebytes frequently on demand.
It killed some hidden toolbars and other spyware crap from both of my audio machines, found a trojan too and deleted.
Since then, all fine.

B.t.w., Avira also installs a browser safety plugin you´ll find w/ CCleaner under "extras" > "browser plugins".
There are 2 tabs for Windows Internet Explorer and in my case,- Firefox.
There, you can de-activate several unnecessary things like Java helpers and s##t too,- all bloatware.

For Firefox I kept Avira Browser Savety, EasyYoutube Downloader Express, YouTube Unblocker, Quicktime plugin and Shockwave Flash.
That´s all and they do nothing as long the browser isn´t launched.
For Windows Internet Explorer I killed everything.

For CCleaner and Malwarebytes as also the other browser plugins mentioned above, Quicktime at 1st place, don´t allow automatic search for updates.
Do it manually on occasion.
Most of the times my office machine tells me there are updates, so I can decide for the others.

Avira looks for updates every time you power up a machine which has it installed and when you connect to the internet, you cannot change it ...
So, when your machine´s network card is activated always in device manager and connects to the internet automatic once the machine is powered up, Avira WILL perform an update !
But that job is by default scheduled to a minimum every 2 hrs which is a PITA !
Set it to every 24 hrs or such.
You only find it w/ Avira application launched, then go to the "extras" tab and click on "configuration" ...

In addition, Avira automaticly performs system scans which is independent from the "guard" state and kicks in randomly.
Set it to the highest,- IIRC every 162 hrs ...

CCleaner works very good, never had any issues.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

CCleaner works good if you're careful. I've actually cleaned the registry so good that it cleaned the stuff some programs were using. So be a little cautious.

I am not sure, maybe I did something wrong. But it a good tool. On Windows 10, it lets you uninstall the builtin stuff that Windows says cannot be removed.

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:CCleaner works good if you're careful. I've actually cleaned the registry so good that it cleaned the stuff some programs were using. So be a little cautious.
I use it since years at default settings and never ever had any issue on my office machine as well as on both DAW machines w/ SCOPE 4.0, 4.5 and 5.1 PCI and SCOPE 5.1 XITE as well.

I performed standard and registry cleaning everytime I had downloaded installers, executed,- and when installed, removed installers from machine,- just because everything is going to be registry entries.
After de-installations, I use it too.
tlaskows wrote: I am not sure, maybe I did something wrong.
Maybe, see above "default" ...

But all you do manually within CCleaner requires some knowledge.
Better de-activate and try before de-installing something.
tlaskows wrote: But it a good tool.
My experience too.
I also used Spybot and others in the past and after some time they became a desaster.

Since using Malwarebytes, CCleaner, OO-Defrag and Acronis True Image, all works fine incl. backups and most bloatware is gone from my machines.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Oh :lol:

Maybe that's the problem. I literally cleaned EVERYTHING! I will just not clean my registry. This way I won't break the computers.

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also disabled Windows Defender.
In Task Manager I simply check processes.
Click on the most useless ones and rename the exe (executables) to bin.
Windows searches for the exe but cannot find it.
In latency mon this seemed to help.

But only problem left is Scope PCI. overflow message as soon as I call up Kontakt in standalone.
Using Bidule this doesnt happen but I fear this will happen at a later time so heres the troubleshooting process.

Remove the NVMe SSD.
Use different SATA III ports.

We have 20 PCI lanes.
M.2 NVMe take 4.
Scope PCI takes 2
Video card uses 16.

Must remove video card and try on die GFX.

Lotsvof tests left.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Got the perfect workflow in Windows 10 now.

Can simply disable real time scanning in all Anti Virus software from the Start Up Window.
No more cluttered screen except for Recycle Bin (DirtBag).
WORKFLOW.jpg
WORKFLOW.jpg (134.02 KiB) Viewed 3361 times