Pianoteq Hamburg Steinway B

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronnie

Pianoteq Hamburg Steinway B

Post by ronnie »

"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Re: Pianoteq Hamburg Steinway B

Post by tlaskows »

Cool!

I was just testing the Steinway I bought from Addictive Keys a while back. It was on special for 50$. Sounds pretty good. But for out of the box sound, my 10 year old M3 still sounds better. Doesn't make much sense, but I haven't gone thru all the presets yet and the various microphones and other settings.

Cheers,

-Tom
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

IMHO Pianoteq Steinways have no peers, I have AK also and no match. This is a fantastic piano without GBs worth of samples just to taxi on the runway.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Cool!

It's good to know, but right now I'm set for piano sounds. I am not even a piano player :)

Cheers,

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have PianoTeq Pro 5.5 now.
Great Upright Steel Drums and Wurlitzer too.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

These guys are going to blow the market away with such good instruments...
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Post by braincell »

Trying it out now. I may finally be a convert to Pianoteq. First impression on a bad system is Model B sounds amazing, better than my previous listens to their demos. Piano is a major part of my sound. It's one of the few instruments that matches the input design unlike playing cello on a keyboard, playing keyboard on a keyboard works better.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

True.

I have many pianos, but they are all heavy and big compared with Pianoteq, and none sounds as clear. It is in the list around here too...
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor,

You may be interested in this. I recorded on a Steinway Model B recently. This is a $70,000 piano. I made this comparison with Pianoteq Model B. There are so many variables when recording, even different pianos from the same model sound different but it's interesting nevertheless.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by braincell on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

:D
braincell

Post by braincell »

This is a comparison between Pianoteq Jazz B and VSL Imperial.

The first version is Pianoteq followed by VSL

The VSL sounds warmer. Maybe they are both good. After posting this, I began switching between the two (Pianoteq & VSL). It seems like Pianoteq is more responsive because of the physical modeling which makes me play better. I think Pianoteq sounds less real but it feels more real, better dynamics.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

the new model sounds pretty defacto to me. I mean, in a good way, like it's the archetypical piano sound I imagine in my head. I wouldn't say it's very distinctive, but maybe that's the point. Either way, since moving to pianoteq I just stopped nit picking piano sounds altogether since I just load up the model D and just change mic position presets. Rest of the way I just play it so it sounds right. It's really nice to not have to mess with it all the time.

It's very much like how I think about my acoustic in Taiwan. There are better pianos out there for a fact, but that one's my piano, and I make use of it (well, in the past) without constantly worrying about all the other pianos. It was such a headache switching piano libs all the time, tweaking velocity curves, learning how to mix that particular sample set, etc... And every time it'd mess up my technique because I'm trying to adjust to an ever changing base. Fixing the instrument to a constant really helped me adjust to it and learn its behavior very deeply. There's truly no other VSTi that I think about in the same way.

I'm just surprised there are no other competitors in the physmod piano realm. Roland has theirs, and there's also Physis series from Viscount, but those are physical instruments. Seems most natural to do it in VSTi 'till the model is market ready, and then move on to fabrication. Gotta say, though, at this point in time, it's probably not worth it to play catch up with Pianoteq.

BTW, Jimmy, do you know if 5.5 had an overall update to all their models? Or was it more of a minor update
dawman

Post by dawman »

It might have, but I don't notice anything in the multicore testing which is all I have tried.
Once I get these new PCs tweaked better I'll check into it more.

I actually track 2 x Pianos together and love the sound of Orange Tree Rosewood Grand and PianoTeq Upright.

On my Physis K4 I have the velocity curves set up so PianoTeq is all that's heard in ppp through f.
PianoTeq is great at ppp through f. But after that I just don't get that sfz I like from a real Upright or Grand.
Rosewood is mezzo-mezzo at ppp through mf, but from mf to sfz it's a killer.

Good recordings Braincell.
Bout time you broke down and shared some music.... :wink:
braincell

Post by braincell »

kensuguro wrote:since I just load up the model D and just change mic position presets. Rest of the way I just play it so it sounds right. It's really nice to not have to mess with it all the time.

In my brief experimentation with Pianoteq, the tweaking did take up all of my time rather than playing but what I found very interesting is that when you layer two pianos (or marimbas in my case) and alter them, you can get some really unique, beautiful and importantly, very playable sounds. This could be thought of as a synthesizer which adds a lot of value to it for me.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

braincell wrote:Nestor,

You may be interested in this. I recorded on a Steinway Model B recently. This is a $70,000 piano. I made this comparison with Pianoteq Model B. There are so many variables when recording, even different pianos from the same model sound different but it's interesting nevertheless.

You may be interested in this. I recorded on a Steinway Model B recently. This is a $70,000 piano. I made this comparison with Pianoteq Model B. There are so many variables when recording, even different pianos from the same model sound different but it's interesting nevertheless.[/quote]

Cool! Well, the real one is a bit out of tune, which affects the experience, the fake is in more than perfect tune. Anyway, in most cases, as a general purpose, I would preffer the fake one, so Pianoteq, but there is a spark in there for the real one that it is not in the Pianoteq library, which is really cool to. But hey, it is a 50 MB or so virtual instrument, no possible argument in here, Pianoteq all the way. Cheers.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

braincell wrote:This is a comparison between Pianoteq Jazz B and VSL Imperial.

The first version is Pianoteq followed by VSL

The VSL sounds warmer. Maybe they are both good. After posting this, I began switching between the two (Pianoteq & VSL). It seems like Pianoteq is more responsive because of the physical modeling which makes me play better. I think Pianoteq sounds less real but it feels more real, better dynamics.
In terms of dynamics layers, there is nothing compared to Pianoteq.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

What do you guys think of "Emotional Piano" from Soundiron?

It may not be as versatile as Pianoteq, but I trully love its sound. It could be of my preffered pianos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-SoU_zYqzU
petal

Post by petal »

I really like the "Emotional Piano" - It doesn't suit every kind of style, but for my purposes it's great:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30820

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30995 (I think that maybe Pianoteq would be better for this track though)

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 67#p284567
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Very beutiful playing and sounds... :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote: Cool! Well, the real one is a bit out of tune, which affects the experience,

It was tuned that day but one key did sound a bit off to me when I was playing it.

I posted music from the VSL Imperial on a classical music forum not telling them it was a sampled piano and one of the senior members said it was "way out of tune" which is impossible. He said I need to have it tuned. :)

I guess different people hear things differently.