Decrease the amount of space the paging file is taking up

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Decrease the amount of space the paging file is taking up

Post by tlaskows »

I just did a fresh install of Windows 7 and 60+GB of precious SSD space was used!. So I looked around and by default Windows sets the swap file to the size of your RAM. So I am just testing these new sticks of RAM that total 32GB, so you guessed it, there was a 32GB file on my SSD. It's probably not a good idea to completely disable the paging file, but make it something sensitive like 4GB, I have no idea. I've never ran out of memory even with all my old systems.

Cheers,

-Tom
ronnie

Re: Decrease the amount of space the paging file is taking u

Post by ronnie »

Put it on another internal drive, not boot/os. Swap does too many read/writes for an SSD to survive.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

That could be an issue, my other drive is my old SSD :(

-Tom
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

You can just force the pagefile to be 0 then.

If you run into a problem, you can create a RAMdisk with a couple GB of the 32 you have, and assign the pagefile to that. Fastest pagefile ever.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

:) Good idea. I've never ran out of 16GB that I had...

+ My MacBook's SSD is 4 years old and been used everyday and no issues.

Cheers JK,

-Tom
braincell

Post by braincell »

Windows 10 compresses RAM when it's full.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Best not to f with windoze neuropathy. Put the friggin' swap file on a non SSD internal drive and forget RAM drive images. Freakin' save and load on start and shut down, defeats speed gain. If you have 16GB of RAM let WinDoze manage the swapfile size or just set it to 2-4 GB and forget it. You want space? Delete all restore points except latest in Disk Cleanup. You'll get like 4GB back or more. Also trash your Nvidia installs and game experience bs to get another 2 GB just keep the current driver. Sure they call it "Microsoft" but it's Mega-Hard and bring your own Vaseline.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hey Ronnie,

Yes, I know what Windows likes to swap even if all your RAM is free. I set it to 4GB :)

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have abused the paging file in the past, at no gain, and lots of pain. I would not mess with it, it is not worth the effort. In most cases the paging file works perfectly fine under windows own supervision.

In my experience, in no circumstances is advisable switching off the paging file, least of all today, with win XP, perhaps, there was an advantage, but today and with the huge amounts of ram we have, it is not only useless, but dangerous for your files, you can end up with a problem.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm,

Maybe I will move the swap file to my secondary SSD once I wipe it. You may be correct, it's better to have one, but I definitely don't need a 32GB swap file :)

-Tom