Strange NAMM Dream

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Strange NAMM Dream

Post by dante »

After reading of som of the upcoming new devices at NAMM, I went to sleep. Then we were at NAMM with friend keyboardist Mack (RIP) who was there as a birthday gift. We were having a party in the food hall and it was very hot. Then someone said that Mack had a bootleg version of 'Visions' (of the Emerald Beyond). We asked him to play it, but he said it wasn't a bootleg, it was a live performance. So we began chanting 'Visions', 'Visions', 'Visions'.

Well, he said he cant play that on these small Korg Minilogue keys, so I went off to see if I could borrow a full size keyboard. But no-one would lend me one. Then some guy from the Melodyne 4 stand told me to go up to the 'Advice Stand' up on the next floor.

I climbed some long winding stairs, dimly lit, a long winding corridoor at the end of a large room was a stand with 2 bearded guys like ZZ-Top serving water from water coolers at each side of their stand. Their advice was to stay hydrated. Once the customers had left, I approached the guy I recognised as GaryB and asked him if he had a spare keyboard. He took me aside, under a window there was a keyboard, like a small Solaris. I said 'well its too small'. He pushed the pitch bend wheel forward and the keyboard extended by an octave each side, like something from James Bond. 'Wow - are you selling this ?' . He said 'Scope 6 is inside'. It then dawned on me that the other guy was Holger.

I said 'thanks man' and took the keyboard downstairs where they were still chanting and the party continued...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
garyb

Re: Strange NAMM Dream

Post by garyb »

good dream, but Holger doesn't have a beard....
guppy

Post by guppy »

excellent ! :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow man, very nice dream, :) it looks like a British short, and the pitch bend feature to elongate the keyboard, what a feature… so convenient. I want this in a future drive… :lol:

Dreams can be so coo, what a wonderful world they are...
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
hubird

Post by hubird »

Scope 6?
Indeed, 'dream on', with or without beard :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

:roll:
it doesn't matter to you anyway, hubird. Macs don't have PCI slots.
hubird

Post by hubird »

wasn't OSX said to be possible with Scope 6?
I can affort an Xite.
Besides, I'd love to see S/C alive and kicking...even with my old cards.

It's the regular dreaming on this forum which does amaze me, like recent wish lists of emulations and so on.
Even for the already older Xite the system/UI didn't get changed one single bit...
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure it is, still.
but there aren't any PCI slots on a Mac. it's much more likely that an OSX version for an XITE would be made than an OSX version for PCI cards that won't fit in the computer anyway.

why would the UI be changed? it is PERFECT. P.E.R.F.E.C.T....
the UI is the most useful tool in my studio. i use it constantly, more than almost anything else available to me. of course, those who have little or no imagination avoid it like the plague....

i love it.

why am i associated with Scope?

i love it. yep, i'm a fanboy, booo, hissss....

i'm tired of hearing about "older". some people don't know anything about audio. "old" is often better than "new". there isn't anything made today that wasn't around 40 or 50 years ago, although the "new" version is often VERY convenient. the main thing about an audio product is how it SOUNDS. there's no doubt that Scope hasn't lost even one step in the sound department. sound quality has nothing to do with computer platform, although it may have once upon a time.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:
Then someone said that Mack had a bootleg version of 'Visions' (of the Emerald Beyond). We asked him to play it, but he said it wasn't a bootleg, it was a live performance. So we began chanting 'Visions', 'Visions', 'Visions'.
Just watching/ listening to ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMx_nkKqDg

Not "Visions of Emerald Beyond",- but I´ve seen the VoEB Tour live in 1975 and it was amazing !
dante wrote: ... I approached the guy I recognised as GaryB and asked him if he had a spare keyboard. He took me aside, under a window there was a keyboard, like a small Solaris. I said 'well its too small'. He pushed the pitch bend wheel forward and the keyboard extended by an octave each side, like something from James Bond.
:lol:

Well, I imagine what happens while playing and doing a lot of pitch bending, ... :D
dante wrote: He said 'Scope 6 is inside'.
Uber-Synth is born !

Great dream !

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hubird wrote:Scope 6?
Indeed, 'dream on', with or without beard :D
I think, that dream itself has a beard already.

Nonetheless, I really hope for SCOPE 6, even it´s probably a one-man´s lifework, worth a lifetime achievement award once finished.
The idea of SCOPE environment as it is is still cool, even is not so easy for a small company to keep step w/ MS-Win and/or Mac OS X developement.

For the time being, for me, it was more or less easy using a older computer running SCOPE side-by-side w/ outboard hardware and other software running on a 2nd and higher generation machine.
I´m not so software dependent anyway.

With that background, I never understood the Mac community being addicted to that technology.

Today, in the audio/MIDI department, I don´t see there are more Mac users around than PC users.
You can run most DAW software successfull on PCs, even they are cross platform like p.ex. Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, Reason and even Reaper.

I say it as a big fan of the work of G.Lengeling, whom I already knew as a student and followed/used all his (and Chris Adam´s) creations for Commodore, ATARI and Mac in the past.

Logic is a great DAW software, but not essential anymore.

I´d like to run Logic and SCOPE on Mac if that ever happens, but until it happens, I have no problems using old Macs and OS9 for what they did best and using Windows PCs for all the other stuff.

Look what Faxi does,- he uses Logic 5 on PC.
It´s already enough MIDI (and audio) features for pro production.
We can use Logic 6 on G4 Macs w/ OS X 10.4 11,- much better ...
Have a Win PC w/ SCOPE 5.1 side-by-side, then switch it on when you need it.

I myself, I´m happy I didn´t all the upgrades up to Logic X and never bought new Macs every 3 years,- I found that way too expensive even working as a pro.
Computer technology wise, I also never had the impression the grass is always greener on the Mac side of life.

Bud
hubird

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote:sure it is, still.
but there aren't any PCI slots on a Mac. it's much more likely that an OSX version for an XITE would be made than an OSX version for PCI cards that won't fit in the computer anyway.
that's why I said: I can afford an Xite, which was wrong English, I meant I have the mony to invest in an Xite if I want to and in case OSX would show up with Scope 6 coming.

My point wasn't OSX as such, but the naïvety of thinking emulations or changes to system/UI will be done anyway.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:

i'm tired of hearing about "older". ... "old" is often better than "new".
+ 1
garyb wrote: there isn't anything made today that wasn't around 40 or 50 years ago, ...
Well, let´s say "there´s not much around made today that´ wasn´t around before".

There are innovations in the software ballpark, not being imaginable in the hardware times,- but it´s most for the (post-pro) editing.
Computer based sample players are also much easier to handle than hardware, but I hate buying sample libraries,- so not much use for me.
There are also some virtual synths impossible (or too expensive) to realize in hardware,- but also there it´s questionable if these are essential for the realisation of a quality production or the music style.

It depends on if someone is willing to make the computer the basis for music production, composition and arrangement or not.
Many tasks can still be done w/o using a computer when a man has the skills.

A lot depends on taste, fashion, the time when it happens and such.

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

Bud Weiser wrote: A lot depends on taste, fashion, the time when it happens and such.

Bud

this, i can get behind.
garyb

Post by garyb »

hubird wrote: that's why I said: I can afford an Xite, which was wrong English, I meant I have the mony to invest in an Xite if I want to and in case OSX would show up with Scope 6 coming.

My point wasn't OSX as such, but the naïvety of thinking emulations or changes to system/UI will be done anyway.

ok, my bad....

i want an OSX version, too.
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Wouldn't it be better to have the low octave extend by pushing the pitch end, and upper octave extend on mod wheel - independantly ! You would need to press an alt key though at the same time Bud.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

SilverScoper wrote:Wouldn't it be better to have the low octave extend by pushing the pitch end, and upper octave extend on mod wheel - independantly ! You would need to press an alt key though at the same time Bud.

Bud