GSi Gemini and Axoloti... 15 years after S|C!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

erminardi

GSi Gemini and Axoloti... 15 years after S|C!

Post by erminardi »

Still claimed as NEW!!! -_-

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43
http://www.axoloti.com/

My dream for ages is a little 12x12cm external box from Sonic|Core with all the modulars+flexor standalone. With USB midi-in port for a controller, Midi IN/OUT, and audio IN/OUT. Something in between this Gemini and Axoloti.
USB programmable and iPad/wifi controllable.
Just a dream.

:roll:

I really can't understand how/why CW fell down twice... sigh. And why still now they don't ride the wave, in this DSP+iPad "revival".

Crowdfunding is the way!!!
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
JoPo

Re: GSi Gemini and Axoloti... 15 years after S|C!

Post by JoPo »

Yes 15 years later...

But the Axolot looks nice and the price is excellent, if it is a good quality : 65.00€ ! Ok, you must build the box arround it but it's not a huge task. You can always ask to tlaskows ! :wink: :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I do have one Axoloti board ...
Nice little solution but still quite some work to get something like SC modular.

But it definetly have some quite nice features like standalone use from SD Card and USB host port to connect any class compliant MIDI controller and play your presets. Still experimenting with it.

I really miss a standalone solution on the Xite-1 and didn't find a satisfying way to get something equivalent to the NOAH Ex for live playing use (with no computer)
Tau

Post by Tau »

Totally agree, I've expressed the desire to have a self-sufficient XITE-1 quite often... Even if we had to avoid using certain modules / devices, there could be an expansion card with some sort of flash memory that would hold a few pre-built projects, enabling one to take the XITE out without a computer. Do routing, synths, some effects, all pre-patched, no need for screens.

I have an Axoloti, and I really like it... The modules don't sound very musical to me, more like mathmatical stuff, but I believe that will change in time, and I've managed to make some nice sounding synths and even a step-slicer with filter and modulation. I have assembled the board on a VHS cassete case, and I take it out every week to jam, sometimes playing the synths, others just effecting the other stuff. Same with the Nord Modular, I program it, sounds, MIDI stuff, etc, then take it out and play.

I do wish Scope was like that. It sounds better, has much more possibilities...

Recently, I have been using an iPad for MIDI sequencing, sampling and the occasional synth plugin. Works a charm, super light too. I keep thinking I could get a cheap Windows tablet hybrid (which still has better software imho) just to host the XITE, doing bare minimum, but how would I connect it? The only way I know is to use Express Card, which is still available only on a few laptops, or thunderbolt, which I have never seen on a tablet / hybrid.

The most amazing thing is that both the Nord and Axoloti are way underpowered in terms of processing, but since they don't require a laptop to work, they're actually more capable. As stupid as this may seem, the best thing i could see for the XITE-1 in the future is iPad compatibility :)

I know most of us see the XITE-1 as a studio thing, but I think it could just kill everything else live.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes i do soldering just for fun now. I used to get paid for it though. Taken off big bga chips with just a heatgun ...

Now let me check the link!
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Sorry,

Just got home. Checked out the specs and the sound demos. The sound is not bad, but nowhere near Scope 5.1 + 3rd party. Come on, I hope that's some sort of alpha GUI, because I made better GUIs in VB in 1990s. Looks like it has no DSP, unless there is a tiny one on the microcontroller. It ain't gonna beat 1 Xite 333Mhz Sharc.

Why is everyone obsessed with iPads? They cost a lot of money. I am actually working on a side project right now that will be using 100$ Win 10 tablets for home automation. But I am not sure I will be supporting MIDI anytime soon if ever. Just infrared blasters for now. Keep it simple. I did my research and the stuff out there that's available for Windows is junk...

-Tom
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

tlaskows wrote:Sorry,

Just got home. Checked out the specs and the sound demos. The sound is not bad, but nowhere near Scope 5.1 + 3rd party. Come on, I hope that's some sort of alpha GUI, because I made better GUIs in VB in 1990s. Looks like it has no DSP, unless there is a tiny one on the microcontroller. It ain't gonna beat 1 Xite 333Mhz Sharc.

Why is everyone obsessed with iPads? They cost a lot of money. I am actually working on a side project right now that will be using 100$ Win 10 tablets for home automation. But I am not sure I will be supporting MIDI anytime soon if ever. Just infrared blasters for now. Keep it simple. I did my research and the stuff out there that's available for Windows is junk...

-Tom
the ipad is simply a standard for audio apps, with a decent latency and solid drivers. the competitors are too sparse and almost never reliable from this point of view.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

In theory, the windows 10 API should simplify support on Windows across phones/tablets/surface/PCs. Same API for drivers, OS, etc.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, JK...

In theory. I did find the driver for the MIDI over wifi that Apple uses. Apple made it open source, so that's great. If you only want MIDI control over WIFI or USB, in theory a cheap Windows tablet will be able to do it. I will do some testing when I get a chance.

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

FPGA hardware is impressing me lately.
My beloved B2003 has been laid to rest by the HX-3 module.

Now that Intel bought Altera for 17 billion expect to see more such hardware as standalone.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, FPGAs have always been impressive. Want 1000 UARTs/MIDI ports? You can do that with an FPGA. You can even have CPU implementations running on it. Just look up Open Cores. Lots of cool stuff.

And Intel has been on the right track for a while. Their Atom quads are fast enough for tablets and their Core M is flying and uses no power. My Asus Zenbook UX305A is less than an inch thick, it has a Core M dual core running at 800MHz (with turbo up to 2.0 or something) and the thing just flies with Windows 10 on it. So your 1U Scope box will be getting a lot smaller very soon.

Cheers,

-Tom