Frequency response of vinyl

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Frequency response of vinyl

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, I know way off topic, that's why it's here.

I compared some old records VS brand new ones. The turntable is a cheap Denon from few years back with a built in preamp. Hooked it up straight to analog in on PCI card. Running at 96kHz. Is this a normal/proper frequency response for a record? It does sound just great on my studio monitors, so it really doesn't matter. :D

Thanks,

-Tom
garyb

Re: Frequency response of vinyl

Post by garyb »

yeah, normal.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I knew you would know! I won't tell you how much I paid for the 25ft RCA cable to hook it up to my Scope :D

Let's just say, not a whole lot. Maybe you can buy a case of pop with that money ahahahaha.

The girl at the computer store was like no one uses these anymore/I haven't seen these in a while. I didn't want to get into details of how I cannot connect an analog record player using Toslink...

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

My parents are gonna kill me. I hooked up the subwoofer. Squarepusher was fine, perfect balance. But I have this 80s Bananarama or somthing and it's just shaking the walls :o

I am not sure how to tune it. I have a cheap DB meter, but of course the room acoustics are far from ideal. Basically it sounds different in every spot in the room :/

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, tuning the sub is nearly impossible without tuning the room.
just set it at a comfortable level.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yep, I know that :(

It will mostly likely be off most of the time. There's a foot switch that shuts it off. Perfect idea!

It's only 10" and it goes down low. It's pretty smooth, unlike those home theater or cab subs that can only play 1 note :lol:

-Tom
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Yup. Different tunes yield way differing sub stuff. I always have to play with the sub to get it right. I never mix with it.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yeah, I thought the whole concept of 'near field' was to sit close to them so things sound pretty even :D

-Tom