I has a sampler! Yamaha EX5 from 1998

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

I has a sampler! Yamaha EX5 from 1998

Post by tlaskows »

This keyboard is old but sweet. For 64MB of ROM sounds, it does sound pretty amazing. I don't understand how all these software samplers use gigabytes of samples and still don't sound much better than this old synth... :D

http://www.thomaslaskowski.com/?p=574

-Tom
tlaskows

Re: I has a sampler! Yamaha EX5 from 1998

Post by tlaskows »

Oh yeah, I just googled. I think this keyboard supports the famous Akai format. Never had an Akai :lol:

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm, the filters and envelopes are not imported when reading Akai format. That's easy to fix.

Look what I just found! This must be like 15 years old, but still opens on my Pee See.

Does anyone have an external SCSI CD-ROM for sale??

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

If you're talking PC extraction for use in STS - you don't need a SCSI drive. Check 'Converting AKAI Samples' tab here http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/sts_mast.htm
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

No, the problem is I want to use them on my Yamaha. I am running 64 bit, so no STS :(

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Oh crap, this keyboard only has 16MB of ROM sounds! Crazy...

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I was just playing with the AN engine in this keyboard. I know, it's only 2 voices of poly, but who cares? The oscillators can basically only have saw and square. Well, it does also have FM, sync and PWM. The sounds are easy to program from the small screen. No audible aliasing in the high registers! The filter, well. I don't think it's simulating any specific type of analog filter, but it does sound decent. There are a few choices of filters. Few LP with different slopes, the HP, BP, and probably notch.

Oh yeah, I found a breath controller from a guy that's about 20 minutes drive away from me! Yeah, it's the original BC1 from the 80s. Can't wait to try it out with the VL engine. I used to have a VL7, but it was too expensive to keep. I am also beta testing the new VL70-m Wizard. Seems to work with the EX5. The software comes with around 900 of VL voices! So many to check out :lol:

Oh wait, this topic was about sampling! I swear I will try to sample something on this board. Hmm, I need to learn guitar again or something :D

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

My SCSI to floppy Compact Flash adapter has arrived from Japan. No, it's not a floppy emulator, but a hard drive emulator.

And just this same day arrived my SCSI card for the EX5. I cannot wait to load samples at 40kB/s. I will copy that Creamware CD to the flash card and hit load. Ahahaha. Wait, I haven't hooked it up yet :D

-Tom