When overclocking unlocked chips, beware!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Re: When overclocking unlocked chips, beware!

Post by tlaskows »

I'm sure not many have seen this beast. It was never released because it cost as much as a good car.

http://www.sequencer.de/syns/yamaha/VP1.html

That is a monster synth!

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

garyb wrote::roll:
mouse....
Found one for Winblows and it seems to work! I am testing it before I start saving up 20 bucks to spend on this thing. It comes with some 15,000 patches! Yes, you need to use the mouse, but it's probably easier than editing envelopes on a 2 line display with 1 slider :lol:

oh yeah, just google FM Alive.

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

tlaskows wrote:Haven't you guys heard of the Yamaha VL1? It's super old (1994) and can play only 2 voices at a time and it needs a breath controller. No samples there, just virtual acoustic DSP based technology. I used to have a VL7 which is the same but only 1 voice. They are very expensive and super rare.

I love this guy's demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWxCrz3vmQ

-Tom
I have the PLG150VL plugin board - is that the same synthesis engine as the VL1 ?

Anyway, there were ways of doing VL on the cheap with some other card Yamaha released :

https://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/yamah ... -interview

mr Holwell worked out the sysex to get at the VL out of a $10 card ! :lol: :lol:
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Good morning, I really need a cup :D

No, the plugin board is about 5/10 where the VL1/7 is 9/10 in terms of being close to the real instrument.

The plugin board is pretty much the same as what's in the vl70-m module. It was made few years later and they cut down on the costs so they pulled a lot of the sound quality out of the original VL1/7.

But but, this VL board will still give you great sounds! Except, seriously, start saving up for a breath controller. You cannot play it without one. I have an EX5 (paid around $400 cash). It has this new, 'cheap' VL engine. Sounds pretty good still. I bought the MRT Audio breath controller package from Turkey on eBay. Works great! Best 300$ spent ever. It spits out MIDI, so it can be used with any keyboard really. But VL engine will sound the best. Anyways, I've been playing with VL since around 2000, so I know a bit. Feel free to ask any questions. Oh yeah, and the default VL sounds are a joke really. There's a new software out there that I've been trying to test out with my EX5 called VL Wizard. See, the factory 'elements' are not fine tuned. But this software comes with some 900 tweaked voices and you can send them to your VL board. The software will be commercial. I don't know how much it will cost. But the VL board only allows some 16 'custom' slots for the elements. So you can pick your best sounds and store them there. Of course, with the VL Wizard you can just select an instrument and it will send SysEx data and you'll be able to play the voice, but not save it.

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

Yes, breath control is best. But you can still sysex edit Ian Anderson's flute flutter without one 8)
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes,

I was doing some more testing for the new upcoming VL Wizard (it will work with your VL board). It's great! And this is a beta. He will add support for an EX5 because it has 16 custom VL elements slots instead of like 6 in the VL70-m :D

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Shizer,

as soon as I enabled HT and leaving everything else the same, the CPU hits 95 degrees (compared to 83 max before) and it detects an error after 3-5 hours. Grrrr. Lowering the clock and voltage. So just to bring up the point again, don't consider your system stable until OCCT doesn't detect an error or crashes windows in less than 2 days :( Just to be safe, you should run it for a whole week. So my system was stable (over 3 days of torture on max load and max memory load) until I enabled HT.

Cheers,

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Back to Gary's advice. HT off and it seems to be stable so far. I had no idea just enabling HT will make the CPU 15 degrees hotter an unstable. I don't care if encoding an mp3 takes a few seconds longer :lol:

Cheers,

-Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ive been building since last summer thinking heat was causing my audio to crap out.
Last night I decided to watch CPU Performance in Task Manager.

Core 2 out of 4 was at 80-90% from Kontakt 5.5. This is on a Z97 put into a larger case with water cooling.
When I lost audio I was using the HX-3 Module, no CPU....???

Noticed I was red lighting channel and master.

Does Scope STM-1632 turn audio into crap if the op-amps get pushed too hard?

Ive got 4 x PCs now and believe I wasted lots of time and money.
I can always use them but maybe someone can tell me if Scope shuts down like this.

Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

the STM won't affect the hardware, but if you're getting red overload indicators, it should sound like crap.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Sheizer, I have some really bad news.

I found software written by intel that will crash a CPU on stock settings in less than a minute.

It's called LinX. Can anyone test it?

I reset everything to default settings in the BIOS and this thing just shuts down the whole computer wth?

Cheers,

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Good afternoon fellas,

Well, that software must be effed.

This seems like the latest official utility from intel.

It's been running for 2-3 hours with no issues on a high OC. If you have an Intel chip, I think this is the one to use. It will read all your sensors and stuff properly. It actually looks pretty nice too!

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... Intel-XTU-

Cheers,

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

For 2.5 large this Reason user http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 8530c10096 is running the new Intel 16 core i7 5960x and overclockable to 4ghz stable.

I'm thinking my next system will be something like this, or Broadwell E coming out soon. I don't need all that power, I just want it. :lol: :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:For 2.5 large ... I don't need all that power, I just want it. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

For that money, I´d buy the new DSI / Oberheim OB-6 desktop module when it comes near future and enjoy analog goodness connected to XITE-1.

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Honestly Bud,

is that like a 3000-4000$ chip? that can run at least 16 x 16 poly divas. I think it will sound a bit too phat...

I've never seen a plugin that maxes out my 400$ CAD chip...

I didn't read the thread, but what is the guy running on a 16 core chip? That's overkill I think.

I can run a lot of stuff on my chip without it even coming close to maxing out. Ran 4x16 poly Divas until it started crapping out. Didn't drop out, but it was making farting noises. I'll never have to do that in real life!

Cheers!

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I know it is a little bit out of topic, but how's you're bass doing tlaskows?
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahaha you remembered! I haven't played it yet unfortunately, but it's all tuned up by my local shop. The strings feel good, the action is low, seems solid. I will be able to play around with it when my new audio interface is here :)

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

tlaskows wrote:Honestly Bud,

is that like a 3000-4000$ chip? that can run at least 16 x 16 poly divas. I think it will sound a bit too phat...

-Tom
Are you talking bout or tried the Swan Audio OB-8 soundest for Diva ? I heard it's pretty damn good !
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/09/ ... -the-test/
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Hmm, I would like to try some new sounds.

I am still waiting for my new audio interface and just wiped Windows...

But you can always bounce the tracks if you run out of horse power lol.

Cheers,

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:Honestly Bud,

No, but because we´re off topic here anyway, I just only mentioned ´cause when investing a lot of money, I prefer buying a piece of hardware offering all the haptics and great sound vs. a computer chip.

In fact, owning hardware, I don´t need Diva as also not running 16x16 of these.
Running more plugins doesn´t make the music better and that rules for the composition, the arrangement and production as well.
The more tracks, the harder to mix.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U