King Crimson life

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hubird

King Crimson life

Post by hubird »

Got a ticket for free from a friend for a King Crimson concert in Tivoli Center, Utrecht, Holland.
Only seats, round theatre setting, with great acoustics and no PA elements visible.
Nice!
And not a single lightshow element used, just a stable soft light on the stage all the time.
Only during the last song the podium got slowly put in diep red light, as a simple sign.
Three drummers in front, the band behind on a higher stage.
No speech or presentation, no show, nothing, during 1 1/2 hour.

Some communication got done with pre-recorded funny meant statements and thoughts about the disturbing use of cameras, phones etc., one by one by all members of the band.
Didn't see any flashes, so that worked :D

I'm not the guy to please with rock concerts, even not for free, but this was a nice and justified exception.
Nice to see and hear the polyrhitmic (drum) elements devided over three drummers on three exactly the same drumsets -except the specific additions each drummer had.

I wasn't a real fan of King Crimson, although it was a natural part of my musical luggage at the time.
But 'listening back in time' during the concert, the influence of the band on a broad range of rock music is clear.

There just was one song, a bit funky, which made me think of Talking Heads' album Bush, but who was first?
Nestor

Re: King Crimson life

Post by Nestor »

Lucky you! It must have been great! I imagine their overal sound was superb.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

How´s the LIFE of the Crimson King ? :wink:

You gave me english lesson (buy, bought, bought),- thx again ...

I tell you, in subject it should read LIVE ... :D

8)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
hubird

Post by hubird »

:P
Right, live, thanks for that one, a regular fault from my side :)

The sound was perfect, even up high were we were zitting.
And the volume wasn't bad as well :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

hubird wrote: The sound was perfect, even up high were we were zitting.
Zitting..?
So you have Acne and felt that popping zits on your face during a show was suitable...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... PgodYd0OPA

ANkyu
hubird

Post by hubird »

Kind of :D
Wish I had acne, I would be young then :wink:

I could lean forward with my arms over the board withouten the risk of touching heads of the row in front (actually below) of me, that steep :)
Last edited by hubird on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you are very young, just not a child.
hubird

Post by hubird »

you're wrong, I just look young :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you less than 40?
hubird

Post by hubird »

no.
garyb

Post by garyb »

oh, you are getting up there.... :lol:
hubird

Post by hubird »

I beat you, but mentally I'm a child :P
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, this is the important thing, and your friends here look and feel quite like children too, I guess music does it magic over us fortunately :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Post by braincell »

hubird wrote:
There just was one song, a bit funky, which made me think of Talking Heads' album Bush, but who was first?
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a 1981 album by Brian Eno and David Byrne. The best KC concert I saw was Discipline. They seemed to go downhill from there in my opinion. It was better with Bill Bruford. Now they have three drum trap drummers. That's stupid in my opinion. I think Fripp just wants them there to hide behind, literately and figuratively. He's much better solo but he doesn't do a lot of solo stuff because that doesn't sell and he judges professional success by sales.

I took guitar with him at Guitar Circle twice. They have these all over the world. It's like a cult.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I think everybody was better with Bruford.
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe :)

It was agreat concert, dedicated to the content.
That's a lot these days... :wink:
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

hubird wrote:Got a ticket for free from a friend for a King Crimson concert in Tivoli Center, Utrecht, Holland.
Only seats, round theatre setting, with great acoustics and no PA elements visible.
Nice!
And not a single lightshow element used, just a stable soft light on the stage all the time.
Only during the last song the podium got slowly put in diep red light, as a simple sign.
Three drummers in front, the band behind on a higher stage.
No speech or presentation, no show, nothing, during 1 1/2 hour.

Some communication got done with pre-recorded funny meant statements and thoughts about the disturbing use of cameras, phones etc., one by one by all members of the band.
Didn't see any flashes, so that worked :D

I'm not the guy to please with rock concerts, even not for free, but this was a nice and justified exception.
Nice to see and hear the polyrhitmic (drum) elements devided over three drummers on three exactly the same drumsets -except the specific additions each drummer had.

I wasn't a real fan of King Crimson, although it was a natural part of my musical luggage at the time.
But 'listening back in time' during the concert, the influence of the band on a broad range of rock music is clear.

There's no Talking Heads album called "Bush." Do you mean the Burns/Eno "Live In the Bush of Ghosts?" You probably are thinking of the Thela Hun Ginjeet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_PYrhZ17vg

There is some cross pollination between King Crimson and The Talking Heads. Before guitarist Adrian Belew joined the 80s version of King Crimson he played with and collaborated with The Talking Heads... so to say which band kind of formed that sound first... well I guess it's The Talking Heads, but it really comes from Belew. Those 80s King Crimson albums are really special IMO.

I've seen KC many times over the years. Fripp's funny. In nearly every show I've seen he sits on his little stool and hides. At the first US show after the long slumber of KC in the 90s, you could barely see him and Belew had to basically drag him out of the dark to take a final bow with the band. Frankly, it pisses me off. Don't want to be seen on stage? It's pretty easy. Don't perform on stage. Fripp is sure a character though, and a genius. All those guys are.
zerocrossing

Post by zerocrossing »

braincell wrote:
hubird wrote:
My Life in the Bush of Ghosts is a 1981 album by Brian Eno and David Byrne. The best KC concert I saw was Discipline. They seemed to go downhill from there in my opinion. It was better with Bill Bruford. Now they have three drum trap drummers. That's stupid in my opinion. I think Fripp just wants them there to hide behind, literately and figuratively. He's much better solo but he doesn't do a lot of solo stuff because that doesn't sell and he judges professional success by sales.

I took guitar with him at Guitar Circle twice. They have these all over the world. It's like a cult.
Ooops, I should have read this post before I responded. I'm in total agreement. Three drummers? Bruford is three drummers. I thought the 90s tour with two drummers was stupid. My guess is that it has something to do with him hiding... or possibly his OCD requires him to have a specific number of percussion elements on stage with him.

What was Guitar Circle like? I've always thought it would be a combination of fun and torture.
braincell

Post by braincell »

zerocrossing wrote:
What was Guitar Circle like? I've always thought it would be a combination of fun and torture.
You hit the nail right on the head! Also Robert Fripp would agree with your statement and would quote you. He probably has Google Alerts and will be reading this.