Chile earthquake: 8.3-magnitude quake strikes off coast

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Chile earthquake: 8.3-magnitude quake strikes off coast

Post by Nestor »

Again! We could feel it anyway from Argentina. 8.3 is really, really strong...

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/16/ameri ... arthquake/
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Nestor

Re: Chile earthquake: 8.3-magnitude quake strikes off coast

Post by Nestor »

It is confirmed that it has been of 8.4, one more point.

Everything in the house of a friend has been destroyed, and part of the roof of the house came down. Beware we are talking about a rough construction, a good house!

Chile inhabitants are waiting for tsunamis in the whole of the country right now, as I am writing to you.

There are a couple of death people already, but it seems that few people have gone through extreme damage, as far as we know for the moment.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, it's active in that part of the world. every few years...
i hope your friend is ok.
garyb

Post by garyb »

evidently a Tsunami is scheduled to hit my town about 4:45 this morning. 1 foot swell, so it's not like it will be washing houses away, but it speaks to the size of the quake...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I don’t have much information so far about the general situation. Nevertheless, our friend is fine, but his home, as I said, is in very bad condition and this is always hard to swallow. All the rest, familly and many more friends are all fine too.

Tsunamis finally came to be. As far as I know, a wave got into a police station and swept their space. Two men died of heart attack because of the commotion, both were pretty old people. Hundreds of people from Dichato, the place that was totally destroyed in 2010, totally swept away, did not want to move from their place, so police had to force them out of their homes. They were so angry against nature and life that they did not want to move… poor people, some would claim they preffer to die instate.

Fear has spread all over the country, it is not easy to witness yet another big one, after a mere 5 years of having the second most important earthquake in history. I remember well and with horror... I know how it feels to be there, and I can tell you, nobody will every guess what it is to be there, except those who experienced it first hand, in place, so overwhelming it is!

I have felt about 4 more movements in here, I mean, in Argentina, so this means replications are been felt over there, but in a strong way.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote:evidently a Tsunami is scheduled to hit my town about 4:45 this morning. 1 foot swell, so it's not like it will be washing houses away, but it speaks to the size of the quake...
Yes, it is amazing for such an extension of water to be crossed in a gigantic wave arriving to your place, in the other corner of the world…
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

So far, 24 replications of the quake have follow, some very strong, up to 7.5 and the so...
hubird

Post by hubird »

Nestor wrote:
garyb wrote:evidently a Tsunami is scheduled to hit my town about 4:45 this morning. 1 foot swell, so it's not like it will be washing houses away, but it speaks to the size of the quake...
Yes, it is amazing for such an extension of water to be crossed in a gigantic wave arriving to your place, in the other corner of the world…
it's the wave that moves, not the water. Only when the wave reaches the land you get that upward push producing the flood :-)

Must be very scary, an earth quake.
I experienced just one small one, in the night while working on Sternberg Pro24 on Atari.
Everything was shaking to some degree, but after it I could just work on as even the computer still worked.
garyb

Post by garyb »

a 7 or 8 magnitude quake is more than just things shaking. it's things falling all around...

just like that part of South America has a lot of quakes, so does parts of California....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Already more than 100 replications of the first quake, many of them rather small and a few very strong. The sea came to the streets and it is quite bad for some of the coast dwellers and their little shops and general turist business.

This time authorities managed the whole thing pretty well in Chile, the last time was a disaster. In the other hand, what really pisses me off is the stubbornness of many professionals that do not want to accept any new ways to predict quakes through none conventional methodologies.

The man called Aroldo Maciel from Brazil, has predicted this quake and hundreds of others with amazing presition. He warned Chile recently for this one, announcing this very quake its exact magnitude and the day and approximate hour! What else do you want to believe he was right? !!! Why, if his predictions have been proven so many times in the whole of the world and through many years, authorities do not want to open their minds yet? It is so stupid! Nobody understand! They could save people’s lives, but they seem to only care about their public facade.

https://www.facebook.com/Atlasdemigracoes

https://twitter.com/quakeredalert

Sorry the links above are in Spanish, you can always translate.
hubird

Post by hubird »

The man could be right, the direct link to the earth quake in Nepal sounds actually quite plausible.
Those earth plates are connected after all.
What made me think about the precision in time of his prediction(s).

Earth plates don't move according to a daily calendar, right?
So you need a more fine tuned instrument.
The only thing to get more precision I can think of is analysing computer data worldwide of thrills measurements, to look for patterns in the moving pressure lines.

If you then know the critical point of the magnitudes given the 'local' situation of the plates a prediction could be very precise.

I thought this kind of research would be too big for individual researchers.
But if he has access to all the data ánd knew to develop a self-learning software program he's da man.
I guess it will open doors for him.
Is his approach new then? I would expect not so, but that's a guess.

Hope your friends are ok :-)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

More than 500 replications have follow... Wow!
hubird

Post by hubird »

That's a lot indeed, Nestor...and it must be horrifying to experience.

We had a 3.8 earthquake yesterday, close to the gas winning area.
Not comparable with the Chile earthquake of course, but enough to have had a national debate of years already about who has to pay for the damage over the years and for the devaluation of the houses...

The judge has now concluded that the gas winning company (private but politicly controlled) has to pay for everything, and that the gas winning amounts have to brought back to much lower levels as we are used to.
In fact, that's already implemented. A bit that is, as the gas has been our national milk cow for 50 years to finance our standards.

Earthquakes are a theme here, and the Chile quake is monitored well.
Like about the small shop holders having lost everything, people's houses destroyed, no insurance, the scale of the problem for the authorities, etc.

It must be a strange feeling to realize you live on a place on earth which is deadly dangerous, but only every now and then.
With or without insurance.

I hope they will have a look at the methods of that researcher.
You can't stop the quakes, but you can save lives.

Yet, you can't move a country to a safer place :(
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I’m sorry for this situation in your place, and so many rising other problems with quakes around the world. Yes, earthquakes cannot be stopped or countries moved away, it is a dilemma with no solution.

It is interesting to know that the level of a quake in the Richter scale, or whichever scale you choose to measure it, it is not always equivalent to its infringed damage over buildings and humans. For instance a quake of let’s say 6.5, could destroy an entire city, while a quake of 8.5 could only damage buildings or do actually nothing important to the structures. This is so for a number of reasons to be considered, and these are the most important of them all:

The distance of the quake in kilometers long. That is to say, the distance that there exists between you and the exact place where the quake has been produced.

The depth of the quake. This is of utmost importance, if a quake is just a few kilometers down below your feet, your place will most likely be destroyed because the movements will be awfully violent. The friend I went to recue in Chile in the year 2010, was just a few kilometers from the epicenter so the movements were so violent that she could not move from bed, the bed altogether was first slammed against the left wall, then against the right wall, and all this for about 3 minutes and some seconds, she was lucky not to die. The movement was fast, what helped her was to hold tight to the mattress and the sheets that were properly attached to the mattress. She had neck ache for a few weeks.

The quality of your building. If your building or house it is not shake resistant, you are in trouble. In Chile, by the way, there are very high standards of construction today, but they do not always go by the rule. The department I used to live in was ready for 100 times the needed standards for the strongest possible earthquakes.

The soil hardness and structure. This is a complex one, which was explained to me by a friend of mine which is bridge engineer. The kind of soil you live in is extremely important, as there are sections that sort of float over the earth, because they are hard and at the same time are over a very soft terrain. Then you have the opposite, so the probable mathematics coming from this are very, very complex, and you may save your life depending on the soil, while your neighbor 25 meters away, may lose it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i hate to say this, but life is not safe. it's only fools who think that they are safe, or that technology of any kind will keep them safe. there is no such thing. risks can be minimized, but humans are just too small and fragile to have a 100% guarantee of anything. we do the best we can, and when everything breaks, those who are still here do the best we can to clean up. life goes on...
hubird

Post by hubird »

Some disasters are just to big to imagine.

I just read in a day paper that 73.000 year ago there was a mega tsunami with a wave of 170 meter high, caused by a collapsing volcano.
Cape Verdean Islands got totally flood.
Big rocks were thrown on land, like the one on the picture.
The photo subscript says it's located on the mountain plateau near Santiago.
I can't read the article as it's behind a pay wall, so I don't know if this rock is put there by the same tsunami event, but it's well possible.
Attachments
0510wettsunami2_it-1.jpg
0510wettsunami2_it-1.jpg (99.42 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

get an RV, move to southern Arizona and live off the grid. No tornadoes, no volcanoes, no hurricanes, no tsunami's, no earthquakes, no blizzards, no flooding. Occasional duststorm and sunburn. See you there :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

a meteor and a massive coronary....
hubird

Post by hubird »

or a breakdown of the RV :wink:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:lol: