Going for a new computer - please, some help will be cool

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

Re: Going for a new computer - please, some help will be coo

Post by Nestor »

BTW: The Samsung M.2 is in it's way, so I will be passing the "C" drive to it soon, I guess it will make a big difference in performance, as the HDD is the last boogleneck I have here.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahhh.... yes.

I spend coding all day long on a tiny 13" Asus Zenbook with a 1080p screen. Yes, I have glasses (I cannot see from far away, but I always wear them) so I can see fine.

My 15" Retina MacBook is for emails and browsing and other random stuff. But I also used to use it for iOS development. Oh right, SSH for logging and managing Linux servers too. I don't need Linux. OS X is Unix (I think).

Oh, all my displays are IPS, no idea if that makes a difference on the eyestrain, but the colours are spot on...

My head used to hurt after a long time in front of a cheap CRT screen, but that was a very long time ago. They flickered like crazy. I think the LCD/LED panels are way better on the eyes. I think if you wear prescription glasses, they have a special coating now that will protect your eyes from looking at the screen all day long. I don't really believe in any of that...

Cheers,

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Nestor wrote:BTW: The Samsung M.2 is in it's way, so I will be passing the "C" drive to it soon, I guess it will make a big difference in performance, as the HDD is the last boogleneck I have here.
Huge difference! Been using SSDs for about 5 years. The only hard drives are in my NAS for random files and backups.

I even put my old SSDs in my parents' old MacBooks.

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow brother tlaskows, I am now in the migration.... :D I will be installing the M.2 right away... I have it in my hands, it took a long time to arrive, but everything comes in due time, so they say :D

Next reboot should make a real big difference.... let see... :wink:

Switching off right now... I'm so, so exited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, it did not boot up from the M.2, but from the HDD as always, despite the fact I did the migration, unpluged the "C" old drive, and changed in the BIOS the boot up order. I am missing something and can't figure out so far, what it is... :roll:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I will try to use this one:

AOMEI Backupper is the simplest FREE backup software with system/disk/partition/file backups and system/disk clone. http://www.backup-utility.com
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Well, I could not make it happen today... it still gest to the old drive, and if I unplug the old "C", it just gest the MBR error
garyb

Post by garyb »

acronis easy migrate.
perfect clones no problem.

the bios isn't set for ide instead of achi is it?
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I've used the Backupper app many times with no issues. But there are many free options.

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote:acronis easy migrate.
perfect clones no problem.

the bios isn't set for ide instead of achi is it?
No, it is correctly set to ACHI.

I'll try the app you suggested, let see.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Nestor,

Make sure when you use backupper, both hard drives are set to the same bootsector type. I know that Windows 10 started using the same type as Apple has been forever (GUID). But on Win 7, it should still be MBR.

Also, when you're using backupper, you need to resize your partitions to the proper size if the drive sizes are different. Otherwise half of your drive will end up being the restore partition.

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

tlaskows wrote:Nestor,

Make sure when you use backupper, both hard drives are set to the same bootsector type. I know that Windows 10 started using the same type as Apple has been forever (GUID). But on Win 7, it should still be MBR.

Also, when you're using backupper, you need to resize your partitions to the proper size if the drive sizes are different. Otherwise half of your drive will end up being the restore partition.

-Tom
Yes, both drives were MBR, it asks you so in the manual. As you say, when I did the migration with backupper, I had to manually resize the partitions too, the system partion that is a mere 100mb was set to 20GB, wow, I did all as it should, but it did not work so far. I am right now doing a backup to try with the acronis migration Gary sugested, lets see.

I've just gone through a very short earthquake right now, it was strong and about two seconds long... :o

Well, I think it is the way M.2 works. They are SSD drives, but they connect to the information in your drives in a different, totally new way. You are not using the SATA connections, so there are tricks here to sort out, I will find them out.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Acronis Migrate Easy trial works full for 15 days. Great. I did install it and made the migration, apparently, at perfection, but when I try to boot from the M.2 it comes the old "MBR Error 1" encountered with Backupper.

My procedure:

Clone disk option in Acronis Migrate Easy trial 7
go with the program following the instructions
clone the old "C" drive into the Samsung SSD M.2
The process ends successfully and tells you to shut your computer off, I do.
Open the case, unplug the old drive
Start the PC again, get into the BIOS and chose the Samsung SSD as the boot priority, but when I get to load the operating system, MBR Error 1 appears again.

I don’t get this one, not a clue of why, it should be a very simple process… Perhaps there is something in the BIOS I ignored it should be different. I try to see what, but I don’t see anything that would refer to the SSD or to the M.2 platform.

If you try again, and just boot up for a second time after the MBR error 1 to see what happens, when getting into the BIOS, you see that it has chosen any of the SATA drives as a boot up device, even if they do not have an operation system.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if you plug into the same sata port as the original c: drive, you shouldn't need to do anything in the bios.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I think that's the problem Gary,

Every time I cloned a drive it was to an external USB enclosure. Then I would take that drive and replace the old one...

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

From what I understand, he is cloning from a SATA drive to an m.2 drive which obviously are not in the same place.

I'm sure there's a fix for that. Just do a bit of googling.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Aye Nestor,

Boot from the Windows CD/USB and just run one command:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/1507

should fix it. I think I had to do this in the past.

Cheers!

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

The M.2 drive is perfectly recognized by the system and it works perfectly as a drive, but it has been impossible so far, installing an OS. My time is over, I don’t longer can be trying for the moment, how to do it, I have to work and so the system must be available and cannot put it at any risk meanwhile, but as soon as I have time again, I will get back to this issue. But so far, I’ve done many things and nothing has worked. For the moment I will use the M.2 for editing, as it gives me blazing times, it is AMAZING how fast this tiny little thing can be!

thank you for all your help guys and a VERY special THANK YOU to Jimmy, to have sent it to me! :)
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

?

But i just told you how to make it boot...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

tlaskows wrote:?

But i just told you how to make it boot...
Yes, and I thank you for that. The problem is that now I am at work again, and the system is working the whole day through, but as I said, I will get it again when having some free time :)

Now, I am right now editing big audio chuncks with it, IT IS AMAZING, it is SO fast! It really is worth it!