In The Loop - EMU Systems Episode [2012 interview]

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

vascomusic

In The Loop - EMU Systems Episode [2012 interview]

Post by vascomusic »

Very interesting interview with the 2 founders of EMU Systems.

https://youtu.be/pDS2sDg0eP0
dawman

Re: In The Loop - EMU Systems Episode [2012 interview]

Post by dawman »

Nice find.
Makes me feel old since I had an Emulator II/III and Turbo 5000........
SoundBlaster never appealed to me though... :D
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I enjoyed so much this one, thank you! Great interview!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Some good piece of history. Interesting.

-Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

nice authentic guys :)
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Takes me back. Feelin' old, yeah, but good! Here in the Big Apple (NYC) we had Octave-Plateau ((Voyetra), remember the Voyetra 8?)) of which I still have their ISA MPU-401 clone (OP4001) and Turtle Beach (Sequencer Plus, Gold) of which I still have the original diskettes and manuals! Spent many afternoons driving out there in my brand new 1971 Bimmer 2002 (windows closed :wink: - about the same price as a Moog at the time $3200) and hanging out in the literally store-front office/lab.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dawman wrote:Nice find.
Makes me feel old since I had an Emulator II/III and Turbo 5000........
SoundBlaster never appealed to me though... :D
SoundBlaster buying EMU did create a strange oxymoron. But there's a new oxymoron for the industry that just occurred in similar vein. Behringer just bought TC Electronics and TC Helicon :D - http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ ... ner-620555

Those low-budget gear companies seem to have all the money :lol: .
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Thanks for the link :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

its because they make items cheap that are good sounding quality mass production

more people buying comps for games than making music

and like the boys said musicians are skint

then the lady said what the rich and famous and they said they want the items for free

when the new emulator4k came out it was $4000 they gave 2 away for free to stevie wonder

yamaha last uk gx1 synth was given to vangelis for for free they shipped it to him and he refused it saying its not a synth its an organ

i now the uk cheif engineer and some of the stories he told me are mad like all the potted modules for the gx1 and the cs range were just dumped into the trash as no body ordered any now that there failing there are not any and they ditched the original potted module schematics crazy at least arp allowed them to be archived

with companies like creative and beringer they work on small profits but large quantities more go through the door so they have overall profits larger than people selling dearer items

but maybe emu will do the the same as moog and roland and others back to the modular scene which is growing massively

would not mind a remake of the polyphonic cv keyboard
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Does that guarantee that Behringer reverbs will sound great now? :D

-Tom
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

tlaskows wrote:Does that guarantee that Behringer reverbs will sound great now? :D

-Tom
Or how about finally releasing the stuff announced at NAMM 2014
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

tell me more, ronnie. maybe a link?

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

TC is two companies.
it's two brothers that fight a lot. for this reason, TC used to go out of business and then reopen later. this happened a number of times before one brother kept the guitar FX and the other kept the computer/studio fx. the guitar FX are what built the legend. the computer/studio FX aren't nearly as special, though they are really good.

it looks like all this is over. TC will certainly continue to be an excellent product, but my guess is that the unique qualities and innovation that made TC super special are finished. like everything else, i'm sure the TC line will be much more consumer-friendly, but also more usual.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

tlaskows wrote:tell me more, ronnie. maybe a link?

-Tom
They (Behringer) showed the Motor 61 and Motor 49 MIDI keyboard controllers with Alps motorized faders and high-resolution rotary encoders like on the BCF's and BCR's, at NAMM 2014. Admittedly it wasn't until NAMM 2015 that they actually had them connected to anything. On board sequencer and nice prices. I've been waiting almost since then on a release date as I have it back-ordered!

As long as I have kept my expectations in line with the price (and have the product return window to fall back on) I have been consistently pleasantly surprised at the quality and sound of Behringer products. (The tiny XENIX mixers, the small near reference monitors, the BCF and BCR2000's, the FCB 1010, the V-Amp rack with 24-Bit/96kHz AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital outs (very SCOPE friendly) and even the A500 power amp (which was a chance) that turned out to be beyond all expectations.

I also remember when the TC guitar stompers first came out. They looked, too me, like all business with really nice cases, knobs, switches and jack hardware, etc. Solid, no neon schmaltz or wacky names. My guitarist friends ate them up as they came out. They really sounded good.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Those Behringer controllers look nice and the price is right. But I already have an 88 key master keyboard. I'm still getting used to the hammer action keys (I'm not a piano player) lol.

-Tom
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

garyb wrote:TC is two companies.
it's two brothers that fight a lot. for this reason, TC used to go out of business and then reopen later. this happened a number of times before one brother kept the guitar FX and the other kept the computer/studio fx. the guitar FX are what built the legend. the computer/studio FX aren't nearly as special, though they are really good.

it looks like all this is over. TC will certainly continue to be an excellent product, but my guess is that the unique qualities and innovation that made TC super special are finished. like everything else, i'm sure the TC line will be much more consumer-friendly, but also more usual.
Completely agree with you on the future path of things for them.