Protools comparison

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

crae

Re: Protools comparison

Post by crae »

All points well taken and despite myself I have learnt to "bounce" ( usually 20 layered Beachbobese harmonies) - the only slightly flippant argument I was making was that a home recording solo enthusiastic tracker can loose the inspiration whilst twiddling the knobs to get the system recording what was in the head :)

I like the idea of "Easymix" but I suppose that is sacralidge on this forum :-?
garyb

Post by garyb »

inspiration is one thing.
recording and the studio itself are another. the worst thing that has happened to music is the home studio, even though i use and love mine. studios are for putting everything together once the idea is complete. if you can't handle the technical aspects of this, why not spend the money on someone else's studio rather than buying stuff?

this isn't a rant to tell anyone what to do, or to moralize or anything like that. it's just what makes sense to my mind.
hubird

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote: the worst thing that has happened to music is the home studio, even though i use and love mine.
On the contrary, it's good for new and independent music, as it lowers the threshhold to start making music and lets you in control.
You could be right tho that it is bad for the sound of the music if not recorded by pros :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

i mean that people who specialize in the technical aspect of music, people who ran studios in the past are squeezed out of business. also, people who spend their lives on producing music can't get paid because of the glut of material.

people who actually have something to say or offer can do so now, just as always. the difference is that the amount of noise has increased, so actually those people have as hard or a harder time making a living. when i was 20, a band made $300-500 a night in a bar. that was 30 years ago. now bands make $150-300 a night in a bar(around the greater LA metropolitan area), and this is all very much because every kid with a computer thinks he's a musician. well, that and the facxt that nobody leaves their home to see performances of music...i'm thinking that public apathy is directly connected to the number of people who call themselves musicians, but who put so little effort into the harder aspects of being a musician. well, and also drunk driving laws, transportation costs and cable tv...

nothing is all bad or all good. as i said, i love my studio. i don't think that anybody specifically shouldn't have the gear or the access to it. it's just that there ARE negative aspects to the present mindset.
crae

Post by crae »

Spot on GaryB - I am eating in the local curry house writing this whist I wait for my weeky jam session with:
An Irish fiddle player
A Scotish fiddle player
A delta Blues player
A hard core 70's folkie
And me - a writer of Beatles ish pop songs - bliss

But if I want a wider audience in this day and age I need to use SoundCloud and email MP3's and I can't afford studio time - so I want to cheat!

That's all!
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, but if you love your music, you can't shortchange it.

i don't suggest that anyone just obsesses instead of getting things out, but there's nothing to be gained by putting out crap either. it's worth the time to learn about the technical end of music making, at least a little bit. while it may slow down the process completely for a time, it will make everything that much sweeter and easier in the long run, and it will make your material sound better.