so this happened....

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

FrancisHarmany

so this happened....

Post by FrancisHarmany »

a little over three weeks ago I got a call from my girlfriend. The cops called. The house next door exploded. Please go take a look.

The house still standing was ours. Rental.

My cat was missing. I informed the firemen and they found him under the bed. We where no longer allowed inside as the house might collapse. My cat was also unharmed. The next day they started tearing down my neighbors house, we received a call, our house might collapse any minute. I needed to call insurance to get a profesional company to get all our stuff out.

In the evening the next day my house was gone.... I managed to salvage our house number sign. Which I will mount to some bricks I grabbed from the rubble.

The next day we got the key to our replacement home in the same street. Since then we've been fixing it up and we're almost finished. All our stuff got profesionaly cleaned, clothes went to the steamcleaner, and we it all back. Damage around 500 euros.

The fucker next door probably tried to commit suicide...... no official police report yet but apperantly he told the people who helped him and put him under the shower. They're keeping him in a coma. Fingers got amputated, 75% burned on his body. Wont leave the hospital for 6 months.

All in all we've been extremely lucky...... The help we received from friends was amazing. I'm also also grateful for getting to know who my 'real' friends are. As some obviously didnt give a fuck.

My message to all; sometimes you do have an angel watching your back and please do get insurrance.....

To anybody ever having lost their house or belongings in whatever way.... I had no idea..... Blessings to you.

Next step; clean the attic and build a studio there. Its a bit bigger then my last attic which didnt fit a studio :)

How do you think cardbord moving boxes will work for sound insulation ??? The moving company let us keep all of them and I'm hoping it will be
a good way to stay friends with my new neigbhor! We're actually on a corner house now so thats a plus.

Peace, hopefuly soon I'll have my systems working again :)
borg

Re: so this happened....

Post by borg »

FrancisHarmany wrote:How do you think cardbord moving boxes will work for sound insulation ???
You need mass, and an airtight door/window, Frans... So no good.

Seriously, all the best, and thank that angel!
Puts everything into perspective, not?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Yes it does! I've been using this as a catalyst for positive change in my life.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

FrancisHarmany wrote:Yes it does! I've been using this as a catalyst for positive change in my life.
You are a brave-wise man taking it like this.
I whish you and your GF and cat all positive vibes!
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

whoa, this is extraordinary! I'm happy no one on your side was harmed.. and surprisingly the guy who caused the explosion is also alive too? Hope you can get everything in order without much suffering, but it already seems like you've turned the situation around into a positive experience. (or at the very least, an experience to learn from)
Ripper

Post by Ripper »

I don't know how religious you are but if it was me, I would re-thing the way I see it! :wink:

Good vibes for the three of you. (Yes, I also have a cat. That guy must have been a dog in some previous life, lol :D )
garyb

Post by garyb »

wow!

i'm glad everything worked out ok for you. how terrible for the guy from next door, even if it was his own fault....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Good news does exist.
When fear knocks on the door next time, don't be afraid to let faith answer it.

Heard that on the Espy Awards by a Cancer survivor the other night, been dying to use it somehwere.

Vibes from Vegas
dante

Post by dante »

Good luck with your new studio and utilising the extra space. When everything else is said and done you'll be left with that useful little bonus...
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

Wow, that really sucks. Well at least you and your girl weren’t there when the neighbor’s house exploded. If your cat could only talk….. what a story that would be. The silver lining of this cloud seems to be the attic, a nice spot for a new studio. If you want to keep the peace with your new neighbors, just get a good set of headphones for composing and only use your monitors for final mixes.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Man, this is so shocking! Sorry about all this. I hope you could keep everything that you had already with you.

Yes, losing your home is traumatic and intransmissible, only the one who goes through such an experience can tell…

In the other hand, this makes you more human, because understanding your own suffering you better understand other people’s suffering too, and this is something that lead us to compassion.

It sounds like a new start all together from now and on. Best wishes in everything you undertake!

Which was the mean of the explosion, gas?
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
valis

Post by valis »

I've lost all my things twice, the first time when I was young and had an apartment burn down. I can relate, though it was some time ago! Talk about positive change though, at the time CDs and Vinyl formed the entirety of listening options (well 8tracks, reel2reel etc of course too but I didn't have any of that). I also had 3 guitars that I lost. Looking back, I should probably buy a guitar again but I'm not sure if I had kept all of that music and my guitars I feel my tastes would have shifted more slowly, and it was only a few short years until I was involved in several night clubs for the exploding dance music scene in the mid 90's. That led to the second time I had to start over, but that's a story for another time :wink:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Holy shit Francis! :o

I'm just glad to hear that you and your girlfriend are both ok!! That's the main thing man!

Best of luck in your new home as well mate.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

To me, personally, all of this takes me to think about the meaning of life, the reason why we are here for, and what we are supposed to do with our time and energy. It all falls into the “importance” of being alive! I am convinced that everyone has a reason to exist, but not everybody knows which this reason is. These hard instances, nevertheless, like for you the burning of your house Valis, like for me going through the second larger earthquake in history, the disaster that Francis is going on right now, can help a lot to find out, exactly, what we are here for.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*