Uhe diva

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Re: Uhe diva

Post by Mr Arkadin »

the19thbear wrote: -Diva has more "aliveness" - ehrmm... what a word.. than the minimax.
That is a really nasty word you have discovered there. :D But does Diva sound like a Minimoog? If the answer is, it's not supposed to be a Minimoog emulation then why compare it? They're not doing the same job in my view. Diva from what you describe would be more properly compared to Solaris where you can change oscillator and filter types. If you think Diva sounds more like a Minimoog than Minimax, that's different.

Glad to know we're on the same page regarding the Jupiter-4 though. :D Do you have Io fitted? I love it with the extras and MIDI syncable arp.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:I agree. If the crack (drug) is free or cheap, then that's where the trend will go. Cocaine may be 'better', but hey crack is cheaper.
I better stop packing my beak, and start smoking then. But can you still perform OK after smoking an 8 Ball..?
I can't perform well after smoking anything - although I may think otherwise when I'm behind the 8-ball :lol:

Greg
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

as ever with roland to sell there synths they use old names of good synths

the jupiter80 is a bag of rubbish nothing like a jupiter8 the auturia version is better

same as there other synths with the same type name that use pcm samples and nothing todo with
synthesis by analog or va

the kronos is a oasys and we were having a debate about it at the korg forum about it having a vector moixer and the full wave rom table of the wavestaion sr

but guess what people are complaining becuase they cant make wavestation patches due to the hd synth section only being

the copy of the original synth design that started it all the korg dss1 sampler synthesizer with its dual osc system and mixer and analog filter

they copied that system but omitted the resonant filter to the m1 then they did the t1 which was the same but more pcm waveforms and pcm loading

then they ditch the pcm loading in the 01w but added waveshaping that caused distortion and could make fm overtones

they ditched that in all the other versions but they all used the same sample synthesis engine

but added bigger sample rom x series n series i series then the trinity still the same engine but added an access digital resonant dual filter so the trinty was an m1 with filters the triton they ditched the great filters the hd synthesis then was inplimented in oasys its the same tech

thats why a lot of the persons who own an kronos kept the wavestation sr becuase it cant do the vector synthesis of sr

john bowen worked on the oasys system which was never released and it got releasd as several products oasys sound card

prophecy the z1 and the trinity system

the evolution from these is the solaris soft and hardware as john left korg after this and came to creamware

the scope system could be great just by implimenting a few things sf2 sample osc this would give us a better multisound player less aliasing because there would be less uptranspose

and better bass response as the 1 sample system is lacking

as for filters the divas are nice filters but with open scope most filters could be emulated by the black box method were you send a pulse through the filter and record each set at each filtyer cutoff and resonance setting and making look up tables for waveshaping functions

its the only way to get correct filter responce via dsp from analog filters

the flexor system does great things that a lot of vsti cant do

but wave loop modulation for wavetable synthesis and zero latency negitive feed back which analog filters are responsible for there resonace sound

would make the scope system better but this is for scope 6 and native coding
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

These are the geniuses you are looking for:

*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Mr Arkadin wrote:
the19thbear wrote: -Diva has more "aliveness" - ehrmm... what a word.. than the minimax.
That is a really nasty word you have discovered there. :D But does Diva sound like a Minimoog? If the answer is, it's not supposed to be a Minimoog emulation then why compare it? They're not doing the same job in my view. Diva from what you describe would be more properly compared to Solaris where you can change oscillator and filter types. If you think Diva sounds more like a Minimoog than Minimax, that's different.

Glad to know we're on the same page regarding the Jupiter-4 though. :D Do you have Io fitted? I love it with the extras and MIDI syncable arp.
I havent got the slightest idea how a minimoog should sound as i have only played emulations :D - Diva is trying to emulate many synths - Jupiter/juno/ms20/moog etc.. - you can pick and choose osc/filters etc from each synth or go with just one synth. So when picking an all minimoog synth in Diva, i would expect it to sound like one - to a certain extent of course;) - Bottom line is - if i pick whatever synth - an all Juno, all whatever it still is more convincing as an analog synth than minimax - since that is the scope synth i have used the most, thats what i use as a reference. - the "aliveness" :lol: i mentioned before has nothing to do with a special model - vs whatever - its simply that diva sounds, to me, more like analog synths than any other synths i have heard in vst/dsp world.. Not saying that its perfect or that something similar in scope couldnt be done - im completely positive it could:) Well... enough about this - you all know how i feel :)
I havent got the money lately for midifyin the jupiter, but i hope some day to do it!!!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

The older chap looks like Howard Scarr.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Nestor wrote:These are the geniuses you are looking for:

The "man" is the third counting from left to right.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i saw those guys smoking crack behind my house the other day....
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I have spent about an hour playing with the DIVA demo and yes, it sounds terrific, it is true! :o No denial from my side! :D

It’s a shame, nevertheless, that the demo is so intrusive with those back-noises that come about every 30 seconds to your speakers distracting you from the experience.

In general I would say it has a “pure”, beautiful silky sound, very, very musical and exceedingly aesthetic. FXs are fabulous! They are probably among the best effects I have ever heard belonging to the inner workings of a VSTi synth, true. It has great capabilities and possibilities with its extraordinarily versatile LFOs. A Moog? Is not a moog a tall, it is rather a huge hybrid synthesizer.

I would like to hear it along with in a few demo songs, music with my own flavor but I don’t have the time of doing it. Nevertheless, for what I have done and heard, I know it will work pretty well with all sort of musical endeavors. It is an extremely good instrument, and yes, it is outstanding :wink:

Said that, I could easily print a list of no less than 10 synths that come to my mind just right now, but there are many more if I think for a while, which also have exceptionally good sound, and all belonging to the VST world. Some of them, I can tell, coming from Arturia for instance like the Jupiter V8, Prophet V and Moog Modular V, all absolutely stunning, well thought instruments.

From here and on, you could start arguing with me about the fact that they are not as “fat” as Diva is and so forth, but that doesn’t mean anything to me. What it is really important, is the perceptions my ears have, this is the point and what you can do with these synths when used in music production. If you disagree, you will have to make an appointment with my ears, because they have already convinced me and know much more than I will never learn… :P

As I said before, being focused myself in testing synths most of all in music production environments, there are many synths that are irreplaceable, as useful as Diva, and certainly, not below in quality.

Talking about synths, let me say that one of my preferred synths of all times in Scope, (you’ll be surprised I know), it is the “Lo fi”, v1, by Hummel synthesizers, it sounds great! Warning! You will not like it! Yes, iff you play it alone, you will have a headache probably, and will not like it very much, but used along other instruments, wow, it really shines giving to your songs amazing textures, unheard from other synths. Now, because this is not an impressive instrument by itself, you will not pay attention to it, wrong! :evil:

One more thing I have to say: I have been building my own samples for years now, and there are no more suitable kind of sounds than those that I have created myself. Then I build them as instruments in any of the sample players I have, be it an STS or a VST instrument and there you go. I invite you guys, to create your own samples and get ready instruments to play whenever you need them, it is a great idea, we have the knowledge, the equipment, the instruments, the mikes, what are you waiting for!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

garyb wrote:i saw those guys smoking crack behind my house the other day....
That is where they got their inspiration? :lol: :lol: yes Diva... :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

:D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Nestor wrote:These are the geniuses you are looking for:

And Sascha, who has been designing really great plugins for Magix Samplitude/Sequoia for the past several years has just joined them.

I'm fairly bummed, but why couldn't u-he grab the Scope SDK and REALLY build some awesome devices?

Greg
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Yes, why not, that would be awesome. The only problem, I guess, could be the complexity of entering yet another programming language which I think (not totally sure if it is true), it is quite different from the others. This is a disadvantage.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Bxdigital started on Scope before switching to native and now SPL/UAD, so I think it's possible given time, (which apparently some developers have plenty of).

Greg
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

siriusbliss wrote:Bxdigital started on Scope before switching to native and now SPL/UAD, so I think it's possible given time, (which apparently some developers have plenty of).

Greg

Wow, in that case it makes for a "sure they can"... :wink:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Anyway, who needs a Diva, look at that :lol: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEFzop3 ... playnext=2
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

siriusbliss wrote:
I'm fairly bummed, but why couldn't u-he grab the Scope SDK and REALLY build some awesome devices?

Greg
That's what I suggested them during last MusikMesse ... :D
dante

Post by dante »

And when you asked them what was thier body language like ?
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Drop them a mail, it couldnt hurt. A popular vst converted to SC dsp format would be free advertising for scope! People complaning that its too cpu hungry would be all *WOW*'ed if they saw the exact same plugin running on scope but 10 instances with 16 notes poly (or whatever).
I actually seem to recall Uhe people talking about how dsps could help with diva - over on the kvr forums... i might be worng though :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

My question was more about their DIVA controller prototype they showed there, but as they told me they were thinking about bringing this one to life with a built-in DSP card I suggested them to get in contact with SC ...

The repply from Clemens Heppner was more or less: "our project is more about homemade DSP board".

But I also saw a video with Urs Heckmann talking about using a 3rd party card for it :
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/mus ... ler-535953