Studio Monitor Stands

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Atomic Marshmallow

Studio Monitor Stands

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

Hello

I am revamping my studio space. I'm not just upgrading my computer, but also trying to make things more ergonomic and have a better listening environment than I do now.

At the moment, my Mackie HR 824s rest on my Ikea Jerker desk, directly in front of me. I have read how ideally speakers should be at ear height and situated so that the monitors and the listener should form an equilateral triangle. I know that room treatment is important too.

I've been recommended some monitor stands. These:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=BS-300

The specs say they can support 57kg, but they look quite flimsy in my opinion. I think my speakers weigh 15 kg. The other thing is the top plate is smaller than the base of the Mackies. So I am worried abot them toppling over.

Are they suitable? Would it make much difference to my listening environment? Are they strong and stable enough?

Thanks
garyb

Re: Studio Monitor Stands

Post by garyb »

i have an older version of these stands. they work pretty well.

better?
sure, make your own, fill 'em with sand.....
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I have these ones which I got second hand for super cheap:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=BS-342

I could probably fill them with sand but haven't bothered yet. They have PMC TB1-Ss sitting on top. 400h x200w x300d (mm) 8.5kg.
Atomic Marshmallow

Thanks for the answers.

I am total crap at handyman stuff. Someone would have to do it for me. I realise that makes me sound useless. If I were stranded on a desert island with other survivors and there was no food, I'd be the first one eaten due to the little value I would serve. I'd like to think I have other talents (I'm not a bad cook, so at least I could provide some decent recipes on how to best eat me).

But good to know that the Quiklok BS-300 should be fine, though I like the look of Mr. Arkadin's suggestion more. I also came across these in my search:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/jaspers_80113sb.htm

My main concern is if I buy a commercial product, it seems with virtually all of them, the plate the monitors rest on are smaller than the base of my Mackies and that makes me think they could topple over?

Would it make much difference to the listening environment having speaker stands situated in the equilateral triangle position. Acoustic room treatment is a huge factor too, but not something I will be doing for a while yet. Until that happens, should I even bother buying stands and leave things as they are on my Ikea Jerker desk?

Regards

AM
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

It shouldn't matter that the plate is smaller - as long as the base of the stand is larger (obviously). Most people I know use Blu-Tack on the four bottom corners of the speaker to attach it safely to the plate. With that stuff the speakers will not fall off.

Those stands are easily constructed: three Allan key bolts at top and three at bottom, no desert island skills required, just an Allan key.

Also note there is a shorter version of that stand I suggested.
Atomic Marshmallow

Mr Arkadin wrote:It shouldn't matter that the plate is smaller - as long as the base of the stand is larger (obviously). Most people I know use Blu-Tack on the four bottom corners of the speaker to attach it safely to the plate. With that stuff the speakers will not fall off.

Those stands are easily constructed: three Allan key bolts at top and three at bottom, no desert island skills required, just an Allan key.
You underestimate how crappy I am at DIY.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i like the first pair better...but i might answer differently if i saw the third pair in person. idk.

as to the handyman thing, take your time, don't be in a hurry and you'll get better. if you can cook, you can build.
Atomic Marshmallow

Hi

Thanks for the DIY encouragement Garyb.

Not 100% sure what you mean by the first pair. Is it the BS-300 or BS-342 ?

I am usually influenced by price, believing the more you pay the better the product. The BS-300 cost 36 euro, BS-342 105 euro and the Japsers 136 euros. I tend to buy quality rather than cheap, but if cheap will do the job equally well, then I'll go for cheap in this case.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the 300s might be more useful since the height is adjustable. i have a very old version(different lower base) and they've worked just fine for at least ten years.

when you position your speakers, just be aware of how they balance and how they are placed on the tray. there shouldn't be any problem. mine have remained in place during earthquakes.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

I made mine from square aluminium tubing like this:-

http://www.falconsa.com/signsupplies/square-tubing

And joined with plastic fittings like this:-

http://www.cityplastics.com.au/framing.html

Bought from a local hardware store.

Filled with sand as I joined it all together. Very solid and very easy to make.
Stuart.
valis

Post by valis »

Mr Arkadin wrote:I have these ones which I got second hand for super cheap:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=produ ... ame=BS-342

I could probably fill them with sand but haven't bothered yet. They have PMC TB1-Ss sitting on top. 400h x200w x300d (mm) 8.5kg.
I have these and have my HR824's on them (mk1's) along with some of the auralex monitor pads (whatever they're called). The base plate is large enough for the mackies, and I have the stands sand-filled (the front 2 legs, the rear one is hollowed out to allow for cable routing). They're actually available in multiple heights, I chose the larger height since my chair & above normal sitting height (6'5" and mostly upper body) put the midpoint between the tweeters & woofers at roughly eye level, and the mopads angle things forward to give me a nice image. Someday I'll upgrade to the primacoustic pads that are angled...but I may wait for better monitors before I bother.