paypal

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

juanilata

paypal

Post by juanilata »

How long before Paypal is available to the Receiver? Here is the question, please don't read more into it than I am asking, kindly. If I pay a large payment via paypal(couple thousand), then how long does it take for the receiver to access it. Does Paypal have a definite end time that it WILL be there/available/accessible?
Last edited by juanilata on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Re: paypal

Post by garyb »

unless it's an e-check, the balance arrives in the recipient's account almost immediately...
Mydriasis

Post by Mydriasis »

For example..

If you sent me a couple of thousand with paypal just now. I would get an email saying payment recieved and the money would show in my paypal account.
Unless echeque as GaryB says. In that case i would get an email telling me an approximate date of it clearing.

When its in the account it can be spent via other paypal transactions straight away..
But if i wanted to withdraw it to my bank account it could take 7 days.

With large amounts of money i think many people will not ship items until the money is safe in their bank account rather than the paypal account.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I'd rather extend this to even have 'cashed in' the money from the bank... :D
it wouldn't really help if there are legal followups to the transaction, but then at least it wouldn't be you running after the money...
This largely depends on the contract conditions, for example there are special regulations with cancelling payment for eBay items.
If 2 Paypal account holders do a private deal you should find the deadline for revoking money in the terms and conditions.

cheers, Tom
Mydriasis

Post by Mydriasis »

I sell alot of dance records on the internet (Discogs/eBay) and deal with people paying me via paypal almost every day..

99% of the time it goes smoothly but i have had problems with banks pulling the money back, even weeks after the guy has paid. guess if the buyer has got himself into a tangle with the bank!

Also people reporting items as not received will result in Paypal refunding them out of your account, if you cant provide a tracking number.
reflex

Post by reflex »

Actually, PayPal will refund a buyer's money even if you *can* produce a tracking number. You need to be able to produce proof of delivery. That can be almost impossible with international transactions and costs extra for domestic mail. Even then the post office sometimes doesn't provide proof of delivery in time to fight a PayPal claim (yes, I've been ripped off quite effectively in this manner - thankfully, it was a relatively small transaction.).
valis

Post by valis »

Interesting.
Is it worth selling my used records in small lots or singles? I see a lot of action for DnB collectables from the UK but I'm West Coast USA and I could use the money to finance some recent purchases, but my experience with smaller ticket items in the past has been that it's time consuming.

I've got about 5500 records spanning 92-present, about 4000-4500 are Drum&bass (the rest are downtempo/dub/dubstep/ambient and a smattering of house/trance/etc.) I've sold off some of the bulk a few times over the years (or I'd have 2-3x this many) but have considered slimming down even more recently. I don't have any real attachment to the bulk of them, but in the past I've sold in chunks to collectors in large sets and once helped a shop start by giving them a little under a thousand records for filling out their backstock (a good percentage of my records see very little wear due to short lifespan.)

Any pointers would be appreciated :)
Andy_F

Post by Andy_F »

valis wrote:Interesting.
Is it worth selling my used records in small lots or singles? I see a lot of action for DnB collectables from the UK but I'm West Coast USA and I could use the money to finance some recent purchases, but my experience with smaller ticket items in the past has been that it's time consuming.

I've got about 5500 records spanning 92-present, about 4000-4500 are Drum&bass (the rest are downtempo/dub/dubstep/ambient and a smattering of house/trance/etc.) I've sold off some of the bulk a few times over the years (or I'd have 2-3x this many) but have considered slimming down even more recently. I don't have any real attachment to the bulk of them, but in the past I've sold in chunks to collectors in large sets and once helped a shop start by giving them a little under a thousand records for filling out their backstock (a good percentage of my records see very little wear due to short lifespan.)

Any pointers would be appreciated :)
First place to check out would be http://www.discogs.com/
eBay is only really good for bulk lots these days.

If you have over 5000 records i can pretty much guarantee you'll have some which are very valuable.
Ive sold records for well over £50 more times than i remember..

On discogs you can check how many users own or want a certain release, browse users collections/wanted lists and buy/sell.

Selling them in bulk would be quick and easy.. if you were in the UK i'd be interested as ive been buying collections to sell on since 2002. Im sure there are plenty of vinyl dealers like me in your area though.

Selling them individually will bring much more money but will come in slowly, those rare and most wanted records will go quickly.
Its definitely worth doing but be prepared to be handling orders every few days for years to come...

I think your best option might be to do some research on discogs, list all the rare/valuable records yourself. Then split the rest into smaller bundles and sell those on eBay. Best profit for the least work

If you need to know anything else feel free to PM me :)
valis

Post by valis »

Thanks for the input Andy. So I just wasn't sure if it was really worth it in terms of time to sell; for instance I often wind up giving away old computer stuff I can't use since the time it takes to ship removes any value I gain from selling a $10-50 part. My personal business is a bit slow currently but when I do have work I can still yield $50-80/hr by the end of a project so netting $20-30 with a 40 minute run to fedex isn't appealing when I've got work on my plate.

And were I desperate for cash I do have plenty of valuable items, but am not sure if I'm willing to part with all of that just yet. I've just been meaning to clean out some of the 'middle' that will still sell but aren't much use to me for a few years now. It was easier for me to do this locally a decade ago but for obvious reasons casual collectors are less interested in vinyl these days.

I'll of course research them for going rates, and do try as much as possible to keep up with things. I have a small advantage of having to visit dogsonacid.com every day since I do things for the Grid there (not much on the board myself) and there's plenty of UK vinyl sale listings in the for sale section of the site. Just harder to gauge the US side of things (I guess without trying?) Selling in lots on ebay seems to be the most common thing in the US, and i'm not sure how many DnB people use discogs domestically.

Sorry to the OP if I'm derailing the topic :)
David

Post by David »

Thanks guys for this useful information :)
It's amazing how things help sometimes, I reason that you have just saved me a lot of money by diverting me from a simple mistake with paypal. Unfortunatley as that saving is not cold hard cash and rather a safe guard against losing cold hard cash I'm unable to share that saving with you. I hope I don't seem disingenuous if I instead thank you once again.
at0m

Post by at0m »

valis wrote:[...]Sorry to the OP if I'm derailing the topic :)
In case none of you noticed, the Original Poster was spamming us with plenty spamsites as signature. I wouldn't be too sorry for him, his post had been reported already, and his spam removed. ;p

So funny how you guys turned the spam topic into something usefull again :lol:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
valis

Post by valis »

Actually I didn't really, but good others were paying attention I guess! I did notice when I was submitting my post went into the OT forum instead so I was mid-post during moderation. :P