Nails in the Coffin

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Nails in the Coffin

Post by garyb »

i think you're a little bit confused, braincell. just because an idea is useful doesn't make it factual. it's still called the "theory of relativity", see?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_relativity
dante

Post by dante »

Would E=MC2 qualify as being a 'fact' ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, but it might be a useful concept. the idea that mass=energy is the most important thing.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

To summarise this useful page on the matter (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/w ... ry.101051/):

Observed phenomena are fact.
Explanations for observed phenomena are theories.

Theories aren't facts. They assist in the explanation of facts.

Sometimes, it seems people have issue interpreting the meaning of term "theory" when used scientifically. Accepted scientific theories are not the product of untested guesswork. There are any number of "theories" about phenomena - Aristotle for example had many many theories - but other theories have proven to be better models of observed phenomena (the "facts"), and thereby are more 'scientific'.

The important thing is to see that the job of Science is to be open to challenges to theories. If the theory fits observed phenomena (i.e. it fits the facts), and possesses the power to explain those phenomena, then the scientific community accepts that as a strong candidate theory. That was Galileo's deal, along with others like Hooke - they developed the very practice of science, debunking many of the received theories of Aristotle, by allowing theories to be questioned in a framework of testing, designed to exercise the conclusions of those theories. As it turned out, heavier things -don't- fall faster than lighter things, for example.

There are Laws in Physics too, like the law of the conservation of momentum, which again is a theory, albeit a useful starting point on which to build more general theories, like those of gravity and relativity.

And Dante, in the case of e=mc^2, that's a statement that is part of the Theory of General Relativity, which in turn is based on assumptions that Light is a Constant in all cases of movement. Again, that doesn't detract from the Theory of Relativity, it doesn't weaken it - rather, it's a finding that is mathematically consistent with the theory, one which has been tested many times, and successfully applied in the development of things, like nuclear power and GPS satellites.

I guess, the legal profession, they're just like scientists: there are observed facts (the bank was robbed, the man was killed), and there are theories about who perpetrated the crime. When sentence is handed down by a judge or jury, it's only handed down according to the strongest theory. We live and operate under that judicial system.

Science has the added benefit, over the legal profession, of time. There is pressure on society to address legal breaches quickly - but there's no rush on science to adopt theories. There is a large community of scientists (a big jury, if you will) who are committed to research and the ongoing development of theories. It took a world of clever people a full 300 years to develop a new general theory (of relativity), which expanded on the theory of gravity. And, in this case, both Newton and Einstein built new insights, and tested these insights, working from the laws and theories that preceeded them. As Newton himself said, in a letter to Hooke, his rival: "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants".

And Ockham's Razor, the Law of Parsimony, pre-dates modern science. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor, the principle can be interpreted as: "Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected". Science, and the legal profession, both prefer the 'simpler explanation'. It's a guiding hand.
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Most people would assume there is only “one science” as a whole, unaware of the extreme differences that there are between the many different groups that practices science in different ways and for literally opposite purposes. There is NOT one only kind of science but instate several life-threatening approaches to it, and then a sound, honest one too. I say so because I see over and over again that most people tend to believe that all scientists belong to the same mankind group of lovely people searching solutions to our problems, well… not at all! We should start by clearing who is who and what is what so we come to serious conclusions.

There are several kinds of science, or if you prefer, several intentions to its use. But these intentions are so strongly opposite, but we can actually say there are different kind of sciences, because sensible, honest people, will never just never step into certain grounds, because they are 100% immoral, like genetic manipulation of human beings.

The most important division comes to be the enormous difference that there exists between those who exercise science out of good will (not too many people indeed), versus the poisonous-drone-like-people that have gone through the university and then put their lives, capacity and energy, at the service of multinationals, I have to say, for ridiculously big amounts of money that easily manipulate their weak moral values, like for instance, the groups of scientists behind: Monsanto, Dupont, Syngenta, Groupe Limagrain, Land ‘O Lakes, KWS AG, Bayer Crop Science, DLF Trifolium, Sakata, Takii, not to mention the aberrations going on in the name of science in the deepest departments of the FDA, fomenting creations like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc… Yes, very reach people doing harm to mankind! Do you think any of their children take Prozac? Hundreds of scientists do work for the criminals of multinational corporations as well as for the creation or the most horrifying weapons, some are for mass destruction through brutal force, mostly, explosions, others weapons are monstrously destructive through chemicals, gasses and poisons or weather manipulation, others work inventing the most sophisticated assault weapons like the M16, the AK-103, or the German G36, some work in the new extraordinary protection methods for soldiers, machines of all kinds to help them, spy technology, weapons to kill from a distance like the infamous Heart Attack Gun, created decades ago already. Let us not forget about the amazing helicopters, planes and drones of today tactics with their high precision weapons and detection methods of all kind, and so many more prodigies of bad science, science to the service of evil... If weapons were to be used to really defend ourselves from something that is threatening us, that would be fine and understandable, but they are not for defending but attacking and conquering others, they are used for the world plan to achieve total control over the entire population, SOMETHING THAT IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW, and the scientists working with these criminals KNOW very well what they are doing, because they need to be informed in detail to properly create what these criminals want. These scientists are traitors to their own people, they are as bad as the criminals that lead them. They are disgusting, revolting, execrable human beings.

I had the chance to know one of these falsely refined animals, he was a multimillionaire, one of those guys that never think about money because they have so much, but so much money, that money disappears from their conception so much they have, they think rather in terms of power. He took me from France to England in his amazing car, so I could have a long conversation about his life, as he was only interested in himself, obviously, how otherwise would a person be so bloodcurdling egoist as to create weapons and earn money and then sleep at night? I have to say, he was delighted to “show up” about his amazing power in this world and how much money he would get, about his unique car, bla bla bla, and no doubt, he had a massive impact on me, particularly when he explained me so coldly about the weapons he build, he was very proud of himself and was enjoying my amazement, I realized he was actually using me to feel powerful. The doors of the car itself were so thick you had to put the whole of your kilograms leaning your body to push or pull them in the first impulse, then they would move softly, but that let you know you were in a high risk armored car, I guess not even a tank would have destroyed it easily. The glasses were amazingly massive, they were at least 15 centimeters thick. The car had a few of these redundant tricks used by those extremely reach Hollywood-like-people, like pressing a button and getting a full snack in front of you. Silly things actually, but cool and impressive. He was happy to impress me with all of them. My eyes were wide open at the luxury of the interior of the car: amazing wood, best leather, and the armchair was the most comfortable I have ever used in my life. Inside the car there was silence, like if the other cars around were not there, so really comfortable. He told me about his job and how he was part of a group of scientists coming from all corners, specialized in mass destruction weapons. I asked him the obvious question, I don’t remember my exact words, a long time has passed already since then, but I remember the meaning of my question and it was: “Don’t you feel bad creating weapons that you know will be used for people to kill each other?” And he answered me with a stupid justification that never got me satisfied, saying: “I don’t kill anyone, I create the weapons but I don’t use them”. What a brainless answer for a scientists that was!!!

The concept for science we are given at schools and particularly, at vocational tests, is that science is a honorable craft meant for the search of truth, and that meanwhile scientists are looking for the ultimate truth about life and all other relevant big philosophical questions like why are we here, who created us, which is the meaning of life, etc., scientists would find innumerable ways to help mankind to live in a better world a more joyous life. Is this what science does today for mankind? Hold on, I have to sarcastically lough for a while, then I go back and keep going… :P Of course NOT! Common!

In the other hand we have those scientists and their sound scientific concepts that truly search for the wellbeing of mankind, and even if it is not something useful and practical for us what they may discover in a given moment or through their life time, it is magnificent to our understanding of the universe giving us some of the beauty and the wander of being alive. Unfortunately, these kind of scientists are of no use to the criminals, so they tend to be neglected, they are rarely given founds to investigate, even if among them there are sometimes the most amazing geniuses we have had the honor to get to know in our sad earth, like Nikola Tesla for instance, someone that, beyond anything else, was an authentic brother to each of us, a “real” human being in terms of values, our defender. He was also, and curiously, a mystic person (do not understand it as religious person, it is quite a different concept).

That’s why you will find scientists in top of some projects that are short minded compared with others that are left behind, because they will never, by principle, work in such deceiving endeavors. Sound people with strong values are not easily tempted with money or power, they will refuse any proposal no matter how big they might be, they never accept a benefit to harm others, they will not do it even if threatened to death. That is why, also, after getting to know some details about what the elite wants, some very capable scientists get far away from any popular scenario, go to little places to serve some local laboratories, because they are threatened of death for what they know.

For the sake of it, and to give a clear testimonial of what I am saying, stopping those of you that will tell me this is rubbish, in Chile we got to know a woman that (as Gerson and so many other people), discovered parameters to cure cancer, she was a research doctor in the fields of cells. By the way, many scientists involved with cancer research have been killed after important discoveries, it is all on the records. She was extremely excited and happy with the good news, as you can imagine, and wanted to immediately publicize all these important discoveries worldwide. When she was ready for it, got a two hours phone call that let this good woman trembling in terror, they proved her they knew all about her private life, all about her family, bills, house, studies, bank accounts, etc. They threatened her to death if she would not immediately leave the country and completely forget about these discoveries. They got everything organized for here, including a good amount of money to leave the country, and in three days she had to leave Chile, with not chance to say anything. This is the world in which we live, a world of money and gangsters in the top!

Then, there is yet another important subdivision in science, in the good will arena, and it is about atheist and believers, which leads to a completely different approach to science too, but in the fields of sincerity. Of course, atheists in science are about deep theories rather than fanatical and silly denials of God. In the other hand, believers are neither the religious kind, but people that will have rather a deep understanding of the intelligence of the universe. Here there is a scientific approach split that starts and bases itself in very different values, and so the experiments and their results are also very different.

We know so little about anything… this is my final feeling.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*