eBay - what a scam!!

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

eBay - what a scam!!

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

I place 5 items for sale on eBay using Paypal as the method of payment.

Two people buy two of the items. They send me payment.

I check Paypal - no payment received. I send emails to the buyers to let them know that I will send them the items as soon as I receive payment. They email me to let me know that they have already sent me payment but I have not accepted it yet. I then realise that, in my 5 listings, I had entered my Paypal email address incorrectly using .co.uk rather than .com

I look for a contact number on eBay. Cannot find one. Google for a contact number. Find an independent site which lists them. Contact the Helpline - told it charges £1.50 per minute. Put phone down immediately.

Use eBays awful Help system to create an email to them explaining the situation in great detail. I give all the information that would be needed to sort out the problem at their end.

A few hours later I get a phone call from eBay. They advise me they cannot help but that I would need to contact their Help Line. I explain to him that I am not paying £1.50 a minute when it is something that can be sorted out quickly and easily at their end. They have all the details in my email. He explains to me something about not being able to solve the problem himself. He gives the impression that he is some sort of gobetween between eBay and the customer and sounds rather embarressed about the situation. He then says he will get someone else to call me back. An hour or so later I get another call from someone else at eBay. I have to explain the situation again to them. As I finish explaining the situation, I get cutoff.

The next day I get a call from eBay. The woman says something about she has got a missed call logged. I explain the situation to her. She says that she cannot help but that I would need to contact the Help Line. She was about to give me the telephone number when I got cutoff.

We use the phone regularly and never get cutoff.

So I have just sent the following email to eBay Customer Support:-

I have 2 items I have sold and 3 that am selling on eBay and I am using Paypal as payment method for the first time. I have entered my email address for receiving payments incorrectly. I have entered ***********@l*****.co.uk when it should be ***********@l*****.com. As eBay will not allow me to edit my email address for receiving payment on the 3 items that are currently for sale, please could you ammend the email address for these 3 items:-

I have contacted the two buyers of the following items to let them know I have been unable to claim the payments and they have cancelled their payment and paid me via Paypal using nevilletubb@lramp.com instead.

I emailed these details to eBay Customer Support yesterday, giving all the information that would be needed to sort out the problem at their end.

A few hours later I got a phone call from eBay. He advised me that he could not help but that I would need to contact their Help Line. I explained that I am not paying £1.50 a minute when it is something that can be sorted out quickly and easily at their end. They have all the details in my email. He explains to me something about not being able to solve the problem himself. He gives the impression that he is some sort of gobetween between eBay and the customer and sounds rather embarressed about the situation. He then says he will get someone else to call me back. An hour or so later I get another call from someone else at eBay. I have to explain the situation again to them. As I finish explaining the situation, I get cutoff.

Today I get a call from eBay. The woman says something about she has got a missed call logged. I explain the situation to her. She says that she cannot help but that I would need to contact the Help Line. She was about to give me the telephone number when I got cutoff.

We use the phone regularly and never get cutoff.

I can be contacted via email. I have emailed all the details needed to solve this problem. If you need to contact me then call me, don't cut me off and don't tell me that I need to call the Help Line which charges £1.50 a minute. This is a simple problem with a simple, quick and easy solution. I don't need to contact a Help Line to sort it out at a rate of £1.50 per minute.

3 items listed:-

Paypal email address for receiving payment is incorrect. Change from ***********@l*****.co.uk to ***********@l*****..com (which is also my registered eBay email address).

Job done.
dawman

Re: eBay - what a scam!!

Post by dawman »

Hey wait till they tell you that 21 days must expire before you can collect the money.
Anything over 1000 USD requires the reciever leave a positive feedback, but even then it takes 21 days to get your money.
I became livid because I first had some chump selling his PCM91 for 1300, and I was selling mine for 1100. Mine was bought right away, but I found out the guy who bought it was the guy w/ the 1300 USD PCM91 !!!!!!! ....Naturally he didn't pay me and then sold his as it was around the Holidays. ebay did nothing except give me a free listing, then a guy bought the PCM91 and used it for 3 weeks, then sent it back.......... 8) :lol:
It took me 2 months to finally sell it and I have never used PayPal or ebay since.
They can suck my ass.

Hey the lady who runs it so well will be California's next Govenor probably......... :roll:
She has been polling the entire state for over a year digging up dirt on politicians and preparing her campaign...
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Unless you have any kind of relationship w/ the seller...all those 1***t users...BEWARE! It has become a haven for crooks!
Joel
valis

Post by valis »

I do all my trading via forums now, or occasionally on craigslist (usually as a buyer) since you can meet in person and check things out before exchanging. When we do forum trading we use sites like beerology (originally for the Arstechnica trading forum) or heatware (used on quite a few other tech sites) for rating buyers/sellers. It doesn't prevent the occasional bad apple from causing problems but at least it's easy to identify who they are for future traders. There are other sites that do ratings but I'm not aware of any specifically for music forums...maybe we could get heatware to add PlanetZ? :P