straight to stage

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

straight to stage

Post by kensuguro »

In culinary school, I've got this assignment today of using a flounder, and cooking it any way using a limited set of ingredients. I thought abut it last night.. kind of have a game plan. We used the flounder for flounder bonne femme, but that's it. I'm thinking of doing a meuniere, on a pilaf rice shaped like sushi so it's like tiny flounder sushi, topped with tomato sauce and some garnishes. It just feels so crazy having to put this together without practice... For me, with music, theater, anything... it's practice, practice, practice.. The only way to make sure something works is to practice. And this dish is just coming straight from my head, to the plate, to the instructor. It's driving me insane.

Of course, I have practice with the individual parts and techniques so it's not really from a blank slate.. I guess that's when training comes together.. or falls apart.

If you think about it, for music I don't think you ever hit the stage without knowing what you're going to play. Maybe it's more like jazz.. You have a game plan but fill in on the spot. But still, that's with years and years of practice.

Ughh.. I'm beginning to feel sick in the stomach. I didn't even feel like this playing for dignitaries in Jordan..
dante

Re: straight to stage

Post by dante »

Improvisation can go a long way. I knew a busker dude who would just plug his guitar into a looper and jam with himself in the middle of the CBD. He sold CD's, and played the tracks on the CD but never the same way twice and always going of on tangents.

I have an open guitar tuning making improvisation easy, and never had to plan a jam that way, just go with the flow.

Thats probably equivalent of throwing the flounder in a pan with some oil and random veggies :)
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

dante wrote:Improvisation can go a long way. I knew a busker dude who would just plug his guitar into a looper and jam with himself in the middle of the CBD. He sold CD's, and played the tracks on the CD but never the same way twice and always going of on tangents.

I have an open guitar tuning making improvisation easy, and never had to plan a jam that way, just go with the flow.

Thats probably equivalent of throwing the flounder in a pan with some oil and random veggies :)
Our drummer is a Chef or Cook whatever you call it in English , but also our textwriter.
I like the poetry thats beyond I would call it , and food is an art too for sure.
Whats most irritating to me , is the secrets about it all , and ornaments of course.
Bear
dawman

Post by dawman »

kensuguro wrote: If you think about it, for music I don't think you ever hit the stage without knowing what you're going to play. Maybe it's more like jazz.. You have a game plan but fill in on the spot. But still, that's with years and years of practice.
It's not as hard as you think. Sometimes the best players are the guys who listen more.
That's why I have a tough time with Rock Gods as they expect others to follow them all of the time, but are usually so loud that can't possible hear others, and this reflects in their playing.

I have a friend who tears me up as a Solo performer, as his left hand and pedalling are incredible, but this guy can't groove or jam. When he sits in at the less pressured gigs where we cut loose, he is still uncomfortable with the concept.

I hate cover tunes and must play them everynight, but in 02/13 I have a 4 month break, and plan on trying to put together a weekend band at the few Clubs where Avant Garde, Poet Improv and Jazz is the juice. It's remarkable here as people pack a club anywhere, especially by the Universities, and while the money sucks, the fact that others are excellent players and actually LISTEN...

Most Rewarding.
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

dawman wrote:
kensuguro wrote: If you think about it, for music I don't think you ever hit the stage without knowing what you're going to play. Maybe it's more like jazz.. You have a game plan but fill in on the spot. But still, that's with years and years of practice.
It's not as hard as you think. Sometimes the best players are the guys who listen more.
That's why I have a tough time with Rock Gods as they expect others to follow them all of the time, but are usually so loud that can't possible hear others, and this reflects in their playing.

I have a friend who tears me up as a Solo performer, as his left hand and pedalling are incredible, but this guy can't groove or jam. When he sits in at the less pressured gigs where we cut loose, he is still uncomfortable with the concept.

I hate cover tunes and must play them everynight, but in 02/13 I have a 4 month break, and plan on trying to put together a weekend band at the few Clubs where Avant Garde, Poet Improv and Jazz is the juice. It's remarkable here as people pack a club anywhere, especially by the Universities, and while the money sucks, the fact that others are excellent players and actually LISTEN...

Most Rewarding.
But you mentioned Emersson ,
and I then mentioned Billy Preston,
Its very much both ways for me.
Both ways with more than one thing.
Bear
dante

Post by dante »

:lol: ..too much information ? 8)
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

dante wrote::lol: ..too much information ? 8)
Thats not fair.
I know I am very controversial ,
but I dont like to be silenced,
because people dont like the truth.
Thats not even democratic.
Bear
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Don't worry niceboy, Dante is just kidding, it is something good, he's been friendly that's all. You can be yourself, no problem.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

Nestor wrote:Don't worry niceboy, Dante is just kidding, it is something good, he's been friendly that's all. You can be yourself, no problem.
Thank you Nestor,
Dante is doing a fantastic job here.
I have never learned that nice way of yours.
I might learn if I try.
Bear
dante

Post by dante »

No silencing intended, 'both ways' can have another meaning in English :)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Very interesting stuff Ken! Thinking the way you do, mixing cooking and music, you made me think a few crazy things… he he…, :lol: yes. I mean, which would be the equivalent of:

Chorus, Delay, Distortion, Flanger, etc.

I guess that “salt” would be treble for instance, chorus would probably be “fat”, as makes things to taste double its size, “sweet and sour mixtures” could be delay, like having several layers of taste coming to you in different times through your tongue.

Well…, I’m probably getting crazy already… :P

Hope you do a successful jazz-food improvisation my friend :wink:
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

dante wrote:No silencing intended, 'both ways' can have another meaning in English :)
What I ment is that its very often is a third option.
Someone says something as if there is only two options .
Thats why I am not speaking out.
The subject is very controversial and we strongly disagree
:lol:
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

dawman wrote:

Most Rewarding.

I definitely look forward to hearing recordings of this!

G
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

siriusbliss wrote:
dawman wrote:

Most Rewarding.

I definitely look forward to hearing recordings of this!

G
Thats the point.
We have to build this Voice Amp first :lol:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

So, how is it going, did something already?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

niceboy wrote: Thats the point.
I was referring to hearing DAWMAN's recordings!
I've already heard your recordings.

G
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

siriusbliss wrote:

G
Once is enough. :lol:
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

siriusbliss wrote:

G
Not ready recordings .
Just sounde examples.
Dawman seems to be a little bit on our side here it seems.
:lol: semper fi
Last edited by niceboy on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

Nestor wrote:So, how is it going, did something already?
No but today I will start hopefully.
I like the LE-I tube very much , and we could record Voice ,
using RME as Maximizer,
but I am now in mood for Jk superstars DC blocker plugin.
Its fun to do research also.
:lol: semper fi
Last edited by niceboy on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hubird

Post by hubird »

nuts.