what's a good portable keyboard?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

what's a good portable keyboard?

Post by kensuguro »

I recently started jamming with a few funk/rock bands, and found that my nord electro 73 is quite cumbersome. The quick effects control with electro's extremely simple knob layout is awesome because it's easy to do mini adjustments while playing... But it's just so big...

I checked out some of the smaller 61 models.. korg x50, juno d, Alsesis qs6, Yamaha MM6.. seems like these are of a different breed than the electro, not really for the jamming musician.. I mean, who really has time to adjust parameters in the digital readouts in a live situation? Atleast korg x50 gives you 4 assignable knobs.. not too sure about the rest. Maybe I should just keep all effects on stomp boxes. Seems like korg x50 + couple of stomp boxes make sense. wah, fuzz, mod effects combo, delay, for a basic setup.

Seems like Electro is good for an actual performance, but maybe not to lug around to regular practices.. I mean, the 61 models come at around half the weight.. Any suggestions?
Zer

Post by Zer »

Too much for a rompler with USB midiinterface. I´d rather use a cme UF8 or Fatar VMK-188 - but I don´t need a built-in hammond.
"Heaven is there where hell is and heaven is not on earth!"
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

not sure if you got my gist, but I'm using a electro 73, and I'm looking to downsize, and go lighter just for practices. The CME and VMK88 are massive and heavy.. Most of the 61 keys I'm looking at are around 10lb or 4-5kg.

It's kind of disappointing to know that all these 61 key models are going to come with the usual cheap rhodes sound that have the weak and pounding samples, and nothing in between. I'm not worried about piano because they all suck going through the PA anyway. (at least any cheap PA I'll be going through)

If clavia made the Nord Stage compact half the weight, it would've been ideal. (and maybe half price, hehe) When it comes to actually putting a keyboard player in a wild band, I think the less moving parts, the less breakable things, the better. (rules out MIDI controller + notebook with vsti combo)
braincell

Post by braincell »

Zer wrote:Too much for a rompler with USB midiinterface. I´d rather use a cme UF8 or Fatar VMK-188 - but I don´t need a built-in hammond.
I had a UF8 and I totally hated it. I could not play soft notes even though I adjusted the curve. It would stick a little then suddenly come down hard. Some of the keys were worse than others and a few very bad. The UF8 would not qualify as a portable keyboard because it is very large and very heavy.

Fatar also seems very cheap. I will now only use Yamaha for a weighted keyboard. I use a Novation for a smaller non-weighted one.
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

How about a used Kurzweil K2000? 61 key, fairly light (but not super light), indestructible, and still sounds great.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well, I'm giving up on weighted keys for the time being. >vmk88 etc.
Or for practicing at least. Seems like 20lb is the limit for the higher end 61 keys, and 10lb is the limit for the cheaper ones.. 10lb seems like a good weight for a tiny guy like me. Just wished they had better features.
braincell

Post by braincell »

If someone beats you up, he won't be able to run far with a UF8.

It weighs 51.8 pounds!
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Alesis 61 noter is way cheap, and has lots of sounds, and weighs very little. If you buy one I have an 8MB ROM card that will let you dump high quality SF2 samples on it as well. You could have it for free, as your great little device you made for us ( Rhodes ) would justify that trade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALESIS-QS6-Synthesi ... dZViewItem

This is perfect for all styles as well, and even has the same reverbs they were famous for. It is an all in one jam synth, with a great responsive piano also. I believe it was the Jerry Coakley piano downsized to a ROM chip. @ any rate, for 40 bucks, it's such a sore dick deal ( can't be beaten ).
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

the auction clearly shows "NOT working conditiion", so I guess that's not that great for a deal, especially because Alesis' service for older gear is as good as not available at all. :(
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

still, the "upload samples from PCMCIA" sounds cool. I know rolands' juno-g (their recent one) loads patches from cards, but I'm not about to pay $900 for a practice keyboard. I wonder how much I can crank out of 8MB...