The flying sampler

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

The flying sampler

Post by petal »

http://youtube.com:80/watch?v=VjE0Kdfos4Y

You want believe your ears :)
hubird

Post by hubird »

but I can't :o :o
and if you mean won't, I don't :o :o
katano

Post by katano »

this is what i call a proper emulation :D
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I once met a guy with a mynah bird... that was definitely a trip. I was pretty amazed by the clarity of reproduction - I have heard parrots 'talk' before and if I was to compare them in terms of samplerate/bitdepth, the mynah was 12-16 bit, 32 kHz (good for hip-hop), whereas a parrot is something of a 4-bit, 12 kHz circuit-bent kids toy. Obviously the analog filters make them all sound pretty cool.

Anyway the lyre bird is amazing (perhaps the best reproduction compared to other sampling birds?), there's a few spoof versions of this clip too which are rather funny :)
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Have anybody seen the original program with David? I have not. It just seams a bit too convenient, that it starts out with bird sounds and then switches to human technical noise. Isn't that bird supposed to live in the jungle? Car alarm? It does look/sound amazing. I just don't think I really believe it. Manipulating reality is not uncommon at all on youtube.
hubird

Post by hubird »

good questions :-) :-(
Yet it's Attenborough's voice...
Maybe it's a specimen catched in a zoo, living next door to street sounds, like in Artis/Amsterdam, dunno.
If it's false the BBC would intervene, if not anyway.
YouTube pays a lot these days for publishing rights, legal rights owners know to find them today already.

Yet you can go into da deep, deep jungle, play city sounds off a sound source, and record the bird's emulations...
Hm...I would like to hear 'm do a classic mechanical type machine, or a hard disk starting up , or a filtered oscillator like the hoover sound :-D
AudioIrony

Post by AudioIrony »

Immanuel wrote:Have anybody seen the original program with David? I have not. It just seams a bit too convenient, that it starts out with bird sounds and then switches to human technical noise. Isn't that bird supposed to live in the jungle? Car alarm? It does look/sound amazing. I just don't think I really believe it. Manipulating reality is not uncommon at all on youtube.
Lyrebirds really do that shit :-)
They are Australian Space Chickens .
Also flightless - obviously to channel their energy into emulation skills.
Do a search on them.
They are not "Jungle" birds at all - they live in rain forest areas - distributed along the East coast of Australia.
There are two species - The Supurb Lyrebird - which is the one in the video and the Albert's Lyrebird (only found in Queensland / New South Wales border.)
Check them out here:
Lyrebirds
Last edited by AudioIrony on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---xxxxxxxx---
And Charlie said: "I'm cool with that" and set fire to a posh hammer to make it official
---xxxxxxxx---
hubird

Post by hubird »

The bird is amazing, but the broken car in the middle of da jungle is it even more...
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

From AudioIrony's link:
"Some people living on the edge of the bush are lucky enough to have lyrebirds visit their gardens."

There goes my quick assumptions. I see David in his camouflage gear walking in some crowded vegetation ... and draw the conclusion, that this has to be far away from civilisation. :lol:
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

This is totally real... it appears in a series called 'The life of birds'
dawman

Post by dawman »

Obviously a relative of the New Zealand Ground Parrot, another flightless bird due to no natural predators. In the States us Yanks have all these sayings that are derrogatory in nature, and also positive such as, That Bird don't fly, meaning it has no usefullness, and That dog will hunt, which is positive. As long as the bird speaks clearly, his life will be spared. A great survival trait through evolution.
On the other hand it's a good thing that New Zealanders do not suffer from homelessness as we in the US do, otherwise that 100 lb. Ground Parrot would have been extinct, as even a homeless broken down person could surely catch a 100 lb. Ground Parrot w/ no wings.

A Flying Sampler,...that's hilarious,

JV
hubird

Post by hubird »

with that bird in your car you could spare on a car alarm.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

That's freaky! 8)
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Wow! :o This little bird has put Modular III downl in shame! :wink: Nature is unbeatable!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Jungle ?? no mate it's called "the bush"
I can walk out my front door and 200 metres down the street and be in that sort of "jungle" because I live on the edge of the Sydney metropolitan area .
The lyrebird is a blast allright but my favourite singers [they dont do covers :wink: ] are the Butcher bird ,beautiful little sucker that one, and the australian Magpie . The Magpie does that tibetan singing thing where they produce two notes simultaneously . $10 bucks a week for ground beef and you can have the planets best singers come round for dinner everynight ....and breakfast ......and lunch .......and inbetweens.....and inbetween that if they think you're feeling like being a chump for them on the day :) . When you hear half a dozen kookaburras going for it it really does sound like you are being invaded by a large tribe of apes . It's all real down here boys ,you should check it out one day .
Cheers
Paul
hubird

Post by hubird »

I hate the birds yelping and the flowers stinking!
astroman

Post by astroman »

not all inhabitants of the area are noisy :D
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

"I hate the birds yelping and the flowers stinking!" :o
I get it ,you're a dutch comedian :lol:
The dogs are still barking then ?
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

Well Tom the thing is that those ones aren't really interested in us,we're outside their paradigm . What I do when something potentially nasty comes wandering across the floor is gently capture it and put it outside . I dont think they are stupid and I really believe that they can appreciate that
1] I didn't kill 'em and
2] getting stuck inside a drinking glass was a fairly undignified way of travelling so they dont want to do it again . Its worked for the last 20 years .
We changed the balcony door a couple of years ago from a central sliding glass door to a bifold and the rather large hornet that has been living outside for while eventually learned that while he was hovering inside the lounge room waiting for me to get up yet again and let the sucker out { he liked cruising out of his nest flying round the back of the house in the back door and out the balcony door back to his nest } that we'd moved the friggin hole , it took about 3 weeks but he/she eventually got it . Painting the balcony around his/her nest was a bit unnerving but it let me do it without any chemical warfare . I guess he/she liked the door opening service :) . In fact the only thing I enjoy murdering is the friggin cattle ticks particularly the juvenile ones ,they deserve death no doubt about it . They kill your dogs and make you feel like shit as well as itch like F..K . By the time the dog shows symptoms [paralysis in the back legs and vomiting ]it's on the verge of being too late to save them and you're on the verge of a six hundred dollar vet bill . Death to the fuckers
hubird

Post by hubird »

you got it :-D
But I do really hate it when I hear the birds and doves making terrible noise on my roof, where-under I try to fall in sleep in the morning after another night :-D