Chocolate - Hooked on Cacao

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jabney

Chocolate - Hooked on Cacao

Post by jabney »

Hershey's has a new extra dark chocolate called "Cacao Reserve" and it contains 65% cacao.

To me, the regular Hershey's dark chocolate has always seemed a little waxy. And unsweetened baking chocolate takes the low-sugar thing a little too far. But the 65% seems pretty close to what I consider ideal.

Hershey's also has a 35% cacao milk-chocolate. I tried it, but I didn't feel there was that big an advantage over the regular (and less expensive) Hershey's bar.

I'm posting this for a selfish reason: too many things I've liked don't seem to last very long in the marketplace - Ben and Jerry's Orange-Cranberry sorbet, for example. Maybe if enough people try it, Hershey's will keep making the 65%.

best,

john
astroman

Post by astroman »

interesting how and in which way things spread
it all started (imho) with Gianluca Franzoni a couple of years ago
the ARTE channel had an absolutely stunning feature about his cocoa-passion ... (or was it madness ?) :D

chocolate will never be the same again once you taste his stuff (or other brands made with identical care) - not a simple sweety, tho ;)
you first have to get rid of that broad, all plastering 'taste' an industry burnt into your brain as the synonyme for 'chocolate'

it may cost a bit more, but it lasts so much longer and with so many more flavours
(not sure about the Hershey prices...)

cheers, Tom
arela

Post by arela »

suddenly a lust come over me :-)
eliam

Post by eliam »

Interesting, the domori chocolate, I'll see if I can find some around here... I am a chocolate lover too, but I don't really like sugar, so everything with less than 80% cocoa is too sweet for me...
garyb

Post by garyb »

don't eat hersey's.
they are just downwind from three mile island(remember, nuclear meltdown and strontium 90 release) where the cows that give the milk for the milk chocolate graze. i know at least 4 heavy hersey's milk chocolate eaters who have developed thyroid cancer. maybe a coincidence, maybe not......

anyway, it's insane for a european to eat herseys when there are so many fine chocolate makers in europe....
husker

Post by husker »

Whittakers righer here is Wellington, New Zealand does a very fine 62% Cacau... 100% nuke free cows

Actually, chocolate is made from milk solid products and is exported from New Zealand to all over the world (the worlds largest exporter of milk products), with Hersheys and Nestle both using the stuff...

I can't imaging there would be much milk from cows local to the Hershey factories in Hersheys chocolate
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Sorry but American chocolates are rubbish. Last year i worked with a load of Americans in the UK and they couldn't get enough Curly Wurlys. And you can forget your Belgium stuff - far too fancy.
husker

Post by husker »

You call Curly Wurlys chocolate ? :P
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Chocolate is the ONLY thing that has kept me off smoking for the last few weeks - any chocolate but the stronger the better.
Here in the UK in many Tesco stores they sell a range of puddings (all chocolate) by a company called GU.
Seriously more-ish and VERY strong.
It isn't Death by Chocolate - it's more like sustained torture first and then it kills you :lol: :lol:
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Green & Blacks 70% Organic choc :-)

'tis fair traded too!
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

LINDT dark 85% :D
Zer

Post by Zer »

NOIR 86 % from french supermarket Auchan (99 cent) tastes well.
"Heaven is there where hell is and heaven is not on earth!"