Remember these guys?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Counterparts

Remember these guys?

Post by Counterparts »

I think I previously posted a link about the incredible touch screen tech these clever chaps have come up with. The potential musical applications..!

http://www.fastcompany.com/video/genera ... =422563006

:) :o 8)
astroman

Post by astroman »

I only see a huge potential for neck and eye problems...
and do some workout of the shoulder muscles before trying the same... ;)
it looks nice from a 'spectator' position (as the cam in the video shows), but after a couple of workdays with serious document processing in front of that type of workstation you'll be frazzeled out... completely...

the multipoint 'click' handling is a smart feature, though - yet it's not related to such displays by default.
Improvements in the ergonomic domain strangely lack in all major system supplier's software ;)

cheers, Tom
enjoying the clean glass when window shopping...
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I dissagree.

One's (head's) distance from the screen is no different than if one were using the 'traditional' input devices such as a mouse and keyboard.

Furthermore, there are thousands upon thousands of cases of RSI resulting from keyboard and mouse use.

In my opinion, a more relaxed, natural use of the arms and hands would be a superior technique, ergonomically, than using artificial devices.

Royston
miguel

Post by miguel »

I think the huge display and upright positioning are just for showing purposes. I'd find perfect for working a "simple" 24" screen lying flat on the table, much like any real desktop.

I work as a computer animator and I'm sure this technology would be so much enjoyable to work with. Grab a character's wrist with one finger, the elbow with the other, super fast and intuitive posing. Or grab and object with one finger, tweak it while simultaneously orbiting the viewport with the other... Right now, no matter the animation software, we spend more time switching than animating: switching selections, switching transform modes, switching, switching, switching.

I'll show it to my boss, he may buy us one when they are availeble :P
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

miguel wrote: I'll show it to my boss, he may buy us one when they are availeble :P
Mention the words, "bulk discount" to him. Bosses like that sort of thing :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

Counterparts wrote:...One's (head's) distance from the screen is no different than if one were using the 'traditional' input devices ...
yes, the distance is similiar, but this construction covers your entire viewing area.
Attention (as moving parts changes the full screen area) is demanded by your full viewing angle, not just the center 45 to 60 degrees of the 'classic' screen.
You certainly know the rule of thumb to place a screen below the straight eye-line to prevent drying of the eyes.
...In my opinion, a more relaxed, natural use of the arms and hands would be a superior technique, ergonomically, than using artificial devices...
I've had a 2nd peek into the movie - this is far from 'relaxed' working, since you tend to move items to where your natural focus is, and that's eye-height.
To constantly rise an arm to the level shown in the video is a severe work - if you stand it for only one hour, you may consider yourself in excellent physical condition. ;)

I don't 'defend' the traditional mouse/keyboard approach in any way - and there are methods shown in this video that can be very useful if applied under more ergonomic considerations.
The presentation is (of course) catching at a first glance, all looks smooth and easy, but it's completely irreal - a 'typical' designer's point of view, so to say... :P

cheers, Tom
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i think those guys have watched Minority Report a few too many times.
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

astroman wrote: yes, the distance is similiar, but this construction covers your entire viewing area.
True, but as miguel points out, the size of that sceren is really just a demo-thing. A 'production' model would be like a regualar, large TFT.
I've had a 2nd peek into the movie - this is far from 'relaxed' working, since you tend to move items to where your natural focus is, and that's eye-height.
To constantly rise an arm to the level shown in the video is a severe work - if you stand it for only one hour, you may consider yourself in excellent physical condition. ;)
One wonders how any of the great artists ever managed to paint anything in that case! :-D

I've painted walls before. With a brush. For hours on end. At eye height. The odd cup of tea break is all that's required, IMO.

Anyways, I'd really like to have a go at one of these screens...I think they're a massive step in the right direction for HID tech.

Royston
astroman

Post by astroman »

Counterparts wrote:...One wonders how any of the great artists ever managed to paint anything in that case! :-D ...
you know they make these either extremely fast ... or very slowly, with lots of pauses.... :P
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Completely agree with Astro, in which the position can be killing. I don’t imagine myself working all through, about 10 or 12 hours like I do sometimes. Impossible!
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
coc999

Post by coc999 »

i show you a link of similar 3d model i'm workin on :
http://www.emersonprocess.com/home/news ... _hires.jpg

What is funny is that the soft used to produce this model is now 30 years old (aveva-pdms).
And the guyz with who i work (15 to 25 years experience) are still constructing this volumes at 80% with the text command line .
(i have not seen that everywhere but on the present project that's the case.)

writing mode for that application is far most efficient than any screen menu.
All the old school designers hates the new interfaces and are still using the old method.

i can't tell you wich IT language is used but basically if you want to create a box .
you write in a command line new box x100 Y100 Z100
you wanna move / move by x....
you want to rotate : rot90tonext etc...

if someone one day propose that new screens my team will still request a keyboard :)
widy

Post by widy »

i found a diy project at
http://www.whitenoiseaudio.com/touchlib/

lg widy