Spaghetti Mess

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Spaghetti Mess

Post by yayajohn »

Just finished my OCD'er reconfig/re-wire of my studio. The best of intentions and care and planning inevitably become a twisted mass of pwr, data, and audio cables. Very frustrating and I have a great appreciation for the prof studios and others that have the wits to avoid what i call the spaghetti mess.
I know mine is probably really lame compared to some of your studios with globs of cable mess so I am hoping you will please post a pic or 2 so that I will not feel quite so bad anymore. :)
IMG_20130907_205926_868.jpg
IMG_20130907_205926_868.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 4006 times
IMG_20130907_210040_078.jpg
IMG_20130907_210040_078.jpg (833.28 KiB) Viewed 4006 times
dawman

Re: Spaghetti Mess

Post by dawman »

I got one that'll make you even more frustrated. But behind the console and walls or hardware are gobs of Snakes & Cables. These guys just rely on cosmetics since they do lots of viedos there with the pool party scenes out back and everyone wearing Mr.T Starter kits, etc.
King Kobra.JPG
King Kobra.JPG (83.65 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
hubird

Post by hubird »

rebuilding from scratch if the mess gets unworkable will help a lot.
Keeping currency cables and external power supply blocks apart as much as possible is also a good idea.
I have a huge shelf with currency blocks mounted on it for all power (supplies), easy accessable, tho only from the balcony with opened window, haha.

I once posted it already, and it's a bit outdated now for my current setup, but at least it helps when building the connections in real from scratch.
ADAT and Z-link is already a gift from heaven graphically, and nowadays I got rid of the KVM switch in favor of a third monitor for Scope alone.

The upper gray block in the upper jpg is my OSX mac (8-core intel now with RME RayDAT)), so using adouble computer setup was complicating it even more, I got crazy every now and then.
I find having it clear on paper helps a lot, even when reorganizing the cables again.

Before I did the same for 'studio connections', which includes also usb and midi, but obviously I didn't use the raster layout (term?) in Illustrator in that first try, as I had to learn the principles of I. first.
After that I realized I had to make two 'layers' to get the picture complete ánd readable, so I took the audio connections apart from the rest.
Still the second picture covers all connections roughly together.
Attachments
Audio-ext-instr.jpg
Audio-ext-instr.jpg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
Studio-connections.jpg
Studio-connections.jpg (121.85 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

JV, that is a beast of a console there. If it even fit in my little room, I would have to stand on top of it. Too bad you can't take a pic of the cables underneath, i can just imagine

@hubird I like your diagram. Soooo what does it REALLY look like :D
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Hubird, what is the program you used to make the diagram, I like it's clarity.
hubird

Post by hubird »

The two macs are under the table, so the connections between those are reasonable clear and accessable.
On the table is the rest, like the music machines.
Important is the shelf of perspex on the back part of the studio table, for the two main TFT's enclosed by the two nearfields. Then, to the right, with the shelf slightly curved to the front direction there's the third TFT, placed up on a few effect plus midi patchbay, and the Lunas plus patchbay under them behind it.
A bit like a curved cockpit, as the left audio monitor is also placed in an oblique angle.
Under that shelf on the table are the connections between the table gear, I can look through the plexiglass and can get my hands on the cables laid down from left to right and reverse.
They are all reasonably accessable.
Behind the table there's the window with the windowsill, on which is the wooden shelf with all the currency parts.
All is reasonably accessable, but I admit it's never good enough :-)

€jksuperstar: Adobe Illustrator. Vector based, so cristal clear at every size, but you have to organise the blocks in a decent way.
So in my case, in the upper pic I applied those not coulered parts in the patchbay and Machinedrum alined with the two lunas and the OS9 mac above, to serve the symmetry in favor of cable layout :-).
That's what I learned from my first design trial (second pic).

Note: the best would be access from behind the table, but that's not always possible in typical home studio settings ;-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hubird send us some tunes.... :)
@YaYaJ, I'll be there for a MTLYCrue party and sneak behind the racks and consoles.
The closets in the A Room are insane and stacked 4-5 feet high with expensice cabling, snake boxes, PBays, etc.
Cleans the place like a child throwing his crap under the bed... :lol:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

dawman wrote:Hubird send us some tunes.... :)
@YaYaJ, I'll be there for a MTLYCrue party and sneak behind the racks and consoles.
The closets in the A Room are insane and stacked 4-5 feet high with expensice cabling, snake boxes, PBays, etc.
Cleans the place like a child throwing his crap under the bed... :lol:
look fwd to seeing that one.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Old thread......same old shit
Well it's been studio re-work month. Moving to a different....bigger room...yay!....finally!
Now where is that old tanished brass oil lamp that I had laying around, time to polish it up a bit.
"Oh magic djinni please grant me a multitude of power, audio, midi, and USB cables that are all the correct length where they will magically go to the connection I point to so I don't have to squat, bend, twist and crawl ever again and they will never get tangled up."
garyb

Post by garyb »

gotta solder your own...

"real" studios have raised floors, trap doors and pipes that control cabling. cabinets that hide the mess from customers are also in play...
valis

Post by valis »

I need some trap doors, a few sharks with laser beams…
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

LOL! Mwahaha just wait until James Bond shows up for a session at my Spectre home studio.....
hmmm, I'll have to work on my monologue
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

... deleted because possibly not the correct topic for my post

:)

Bud
Last edited by Bud Weiser on Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the lasers won't really hide the cables, though.
i guess if anyone sees the mess, you can shark beam them, but that seems messy too.
valis

Post by valis »

I just want to keep the performers in line. Unlike the spaghetti…
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's why i kept a taser in the studio, disguised as a flashlight...
taser, laser, whatever works...