Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderator: valis

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 am


Dave Pensado also uses a lot of plugins from a lot of different companies, including Waves.

User avatar
Nestor
Posts: 6251
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Fourth Dimension Paradise, Cloud Nine!

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by Nestor » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Yes, I know, I follow him, so I know what he likes exactly. He's also a great human being.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 am

Nestor wrote:Yes, I know, I follow him, so I know what he likes exactly. He's also a great human being.
I sense that too about him.

User avatar
Nestor
Posts: 6251
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Fourth Dimension Paradise, Cloud Nine!

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by Nestor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:18 pm

I haven’t had the opportunity to know him personally, this is not what I mean, just in case, but I have been following him for a long time now through his page at: http://www.pensadosplace.tv, where you can listen to many innovative people like Greg Wells, which I also like a lot, a very smart guy in my humble opinion.

The way Pensado’s interacts with people is very friendly and appropriate, so musicians feel great being by his side. He is very simple or humble, as you may want to call it, so he’s someone affordable to communicate with, so every episode is great! Everyone owning a studio should benefit from this online tv.

Finally, this guy has something I cannot ignore ever in a person: he knows a lot but HE ALWAYS LISTENS TO THE PERSON IN FRONT OF HIM! That’s a great attitude I always admire from anyone.

I know by fact that I will never be a great engineer or anything, I just like this world of music, and I like to mix and master my own material, and little by little, I understand better what I do, thanks to these kind of great, passionate people.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:09 am

He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 am

garyb wrote:anything for home use is just something that is branded with a famous brand.
it doesn't make the thing useless crap, but it does mean that it's not going to be the same as the real thing, nor will it be close.

Regarding the SSL Alpha Channel, I believe you may be wrong. Here is a statement from from an SSL employee:

The Alpha Channels are built on the same production line in the UK that our other products are. The mic amp is a similar design to the E Series Channel, the EQ is taken from the G console, the limiter is from the 4 channel SuperPre, and the a/d is an in-house SSL design.

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21201
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by garyb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:15 pm

they can say whatever they want.

similar is not the same.

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:26 pm

garyb wrote:they can say whatever they want.

similar is not the same.
I have preamps already.

User avatar
garyb
Posts: 21201
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: ghetto by the sea

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by garyb » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 pm

sure, but i was NOT dogging the product.

User avatar
dante
Posts: 3703
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by dante » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 pm

braincell wrote:He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.
Have u tried LCR (Left, Center, Right) mixing - that is, push backing stuff to hard left and right pan, with solo stuff centre. I use HAAS like effect to push a rhythm guitar or keyboard pads hard left and right stereo wide - which makes them sound like they are 'behind' the centre stuff - like vocals and bass/kick.

Then you can hear what the vocalist is actually singing with the music still kicking ass, and the bass not clouding up the side stuff.

User avatar
Nestor
Posts: 6251
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Fourth Dimension Paradise, Cloud Nine!

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by Nestor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I know you are asking to Brain, but I use this approach all the time, yes, with some nuances and details, it all depends on the track and kind of music, but this is definitely one of the most important ways to make room that I always use, yes.
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*

User avatar
braincell
Posts: 5894
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:00 pm
Location: Shenandoah

Re: Waves SSL E Channel Sore D Deal

Post by braincell » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 am

dante wrote:
braincell wrote:He always says that mixing is a lot of tiny improvements that add up to a great mix. That helped me, also the concept of creating a space for everything within the mix. I will never be a great engineer but hoping to improve. The more tracks, the more difficult it is to mix. I try to keep my music very minimal.
Have u tried LCR (Left, Center, Right) mixing - that is, push backing stuff to hard left and right pan, with solo stuff centre. I use HAAS like effect to push a rhythm guitar or keyboard pads hard left and right stereo wide - which makes them sound like they are 'behind' the centre stuff - like vocals and bass/kick.

Then you can hear what the vocalist is actually singing with the music still kicking ass, and the bass not clouding up the side stuff.

I haven't tried it but I've heard of it.

Post Reply