Repairing an Elka EM22

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Re: Repairing an Elka EM22

Post by Marco »

Nice technic with the Midi tool, sounds really like a guitar, but I know it is not really real! Can you make one more demo with some drums? This sounds really cool. A korg poly 800 is a simular machine. They are paraphonic.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Glad you liked it :)
I'll probably make another demo when i am more familiar with this thing, but don't hold your breath while waiting ;)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hahaha nono I'm not stop breathing! Have fun with your new old machine.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

That's a really nice sound from a synth that didn't appear to have very favorable ratings when it was first introduced. ??? I wonder why?
Thanks for the sound byte
Marco

Post by Marco »

The sound of these synthesizers were not very modern at the time of 1984. These synthesizers had to wait 35 years to get modern. When they came out, they called the sound cheesey. Today it is top modern!

Just be happy! :D :D :D
next to nothing

yayajohn wrote:That's a really nice sound from a synth that didn't appear to have very favorable ratings when it was first introduced. ??? I wonder why?
Thanks for the sound byte
No problem :)
Well, i guess it was up against some fierce competition :) If you look at the videos in this thread, showing the keyboard version, you'll see there is VERY limited hands on control. Sure, there were others with the same "issue", but if its in a shop placed between lots of blinking surfaces with knobs and/or sliders, a first time customer will be much more fascinated with the hands on editing control of the others. If i never touched it before, and i wanted to adjust cutoff frequency, i would have to push an edit button, type in the number 52 and then move a slider... Same routine for ADSR and LFO control. People complain about the menu diving of the Deepmind 12... little do they know. Brand is of course an issue, seeing the competition they where surrounded with. It really needs some external effects to "shine", and even if i didn't hang too much around in these shops in the mid eighties, I am gonna guess the korgs and rolands where much more favourably set up in shops regarding outboard effects and general profiling. And when the prices where not far off each other, i can see people heading for the others...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
next to nothing

Ok, time for the next update, called "know your shit before you speak" :)

Spent an hour or two creating a preset, and here is my findings...
1. I am now able to use the editor in parallel with ableton live. I thought i tried this earlier, but apparently i must have done something wrong. I use scope midi out 1 from the editor, and the scope midi out 2 from Live. Then just use a MIDI merger before going to the MIDI dest. I still cant get real time results from the synth, i have to reload the preset on the synth itself to get it to register the changes. Sorry to the scope world for lying regarding multiclient midi...

2. From how i read the manual, external parameter changes, like adjusting cutoff freq, can only be done via SysEx, not "standard MIDI" (a bit unprecise, i know). So without some MAX for live addon i cannot adjust these from live. I have another user trying it the standard midi way this weekend, but i have my doubts he will succeed.

3. Creating a preset from the synths user interface is a bit troublesome, editing parameters are fine, but when i try to store them the thing locks up.

Some additions... The LFOs seems to be a bit basic. even on its slowest setting it is pretty fast, so no good for slow modulations. Envelopes however seems good, with long release times. Haven't made any percussive presets yet, but from the guitar preset in the demo it seems to be able to produce some snappy modulations.

I am able to produce some nice pads on this thing, so i am happy so far, regardless of the limitations.
petal

Post by petal »

Sounds good and nice demo!

About real time editing in Sysex from live + M4L, unless Ableton has added Sysex support recently, then I'm afraid it is not possible. Live does not handle Sysex at all therefore M4L doesn't either.

I want to control my FS1R from Live as well through Sysex, but I havn't been able to find a solution so far. I'f you have Cubase, you might be able to build or find a "Control Panel" and control it from there:

https://www.soundonsound.com/cubase-device-panels

Tried to see if I could find an existing one, but no succes.

I did find this though:

http://najomusic.free.fr/jeanmsp.htm
Last edited by petal on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
next to nothing

Thanks! Well, there you go, me not reading shit properly again :D
The editor you linked to is the one i am using, and it is quite ok. Only thing is, for the moment, real time automation is a no-go.
petal

Post by petal »

OK - Well I guess your easiest choise is the Control Panels in Cubase, but only if you have Cubase :)
petal

Post by petal »

petal wrote: About real time editing in Sysex from live + M4L, unless Ableton has added Sysex support recently, then I'm afraid it is not possible. Live does not handle Sysex at all therefore M4L doesn't either.
News just in: Live 10 will feature a fully integrated M4L and Sysex support:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... -everyone/
next to nothing

God damn it. I have kind of been waiting for this as i have the standard Live 9... Logged in and saw i can upgrade to suite with 20% off and free L10 upgrade... I need to start saving some cash.