Korg Prophecy 1995

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Marco

Korg Prophecy 1995

Post by Marco »

Hi guys. I shot this synthesizer I already had in 1998 and sold for stupidity in 2001. Today I got it's twin brother for a few bucks. And I'm amazed about the sound!

The Prophecy is an awesome synth that can do anything from huge Moog sounds to delicate flute sounds with exceptional realism provided by incredible sound technology and multiple real time controllers on the synth. If you want screaming guitar from a synth, check out the Prophecy, if you like retro Moog & ARP, this baby won't dissapoint, as many owners have said before, it doesn't make a cheap imatations of the great synths of the 70's, it actually sounds exactly like them plus a digital insanity , except , with amazing real time control with 2 wheels, ribbon controller ( X / Y & Z ), plus 4 rotating knobs.
This synth can do almost ANYTHING that any other lead synth can do.

Remember, this is a lead synth, and plays just ONE note at a time, so as an all rounder, it aint gonna happen, but as a kick ass lead synth monster that blows everything else away ( it also has a soft side ) then this baby is the champ

The synth is the reason why people still use synths. Oscillator group selections are predetermined but dont fret. This is what synthesizers are supposed to sound like, modular almost in variety of routings for everything from filters to FX settings. The options in this synth are a wealth of choics that almost seem too much and you might get lost in the tweaking and find your self with a patch that sounds like a FM modulated Trombone with severe distorted character and green legs. Wave shaping and Feedback modulation are strange territory and will make you wonder if this synth is too capable of loosing you in a maze of modulations. Sometimes it is too deep, but by pushing these boundries you learn to stay afloat, hopefully. My only gripe is that the EGs are too esoteric and hard to quick edit for my taste. Other than that, one of the best synths ever
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
jksuperstar

Re: Korg Prophecy 1995

Post by jksuperstar »

I remember this beast. MOSS was the expansion card polyphonic version of it (4 or was it 8 voices?). It's still alive in all the korg flagship synths for sometime now, too. I think.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Very useful, it sounds great! Here you have the original video in those days :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZsJrAJXuWw
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Post by Marco »

The sound in the moss boards is not exactly the same. The Prophecy is unique it was korgs first attempt in VA synthesizer. The korg z1 was the polyphonic version, but not very successful, it was to special, for me it is a good choice. Today's VA simulate all analog synthesizer, but the Prophecy and z1 do have string oscillators like scopes guitar Plugins. And brass oscillators. And there are crazy ways to bend a sound into incredible insane ways. So this synthesizer is unusual, no other does it that way. And yes BTW this Prophecy does the analog synth sounds too!

And no today's korg VA s are not equipped with the same oscillators. Moss is a synonymous for VA in korgs language. Today korg goes the same way like all others, there simulations are analog synthesizer VAs.

I like the swim against the mainstream, if you always to the same like the others, you will never be special!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
valis

Post by valis »

I always wanted one of these
Tau

Post by Tau »

I have both the prophecy and the Z1. Although they share the same underlying tech, they are totally different, the Z1 much more powerful, but the Prophecy is a joy to play. A bit tedious to program, but can do unique sounds
Marco

Post by Marco »

Wonderful! You are my friend now! Yes unique sounds are what I want.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

brings back fond memories. Was a big time Trinity/Triton Tri whatever back then, and had lots of fun programming the MOSS stuff. Then I kicked into high gear and went full Nord Mod. Powerful, but has a different sonic personality compared to MOSS. I think MOSS has a distinct sound, like it wanted to sound a certain way. Gotta respect some assertiveness from a synth that knows who he is.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Now I have a Z1 too! MOSS for president! This synth is a great keypoard with great controllers and sounds dreamy. Others keep there minimoog forever, I keep the MOSS forever.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Here is the baby
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I'm very happy that you like them so much! When we find instruments that truly makes us feel great, it is something special! Enjoy and play a lot of it brother! :D
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
Marco

Post by Marco »

Who is WE? Everyone can choose his own favorites and share their joy. Even if nobody likes my instruments..... I don't care!