Sub-Bass Harmonizer / Octave Doubler

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chill69

Post by Chill69 »

When I was in school, my physics teacher introduced me to a device called a Sub-Bass Harmonizer. I've never heard anything like it, it took the incoming audio signal and then added in sub harmonics to make the bass sound absolutely huge. It didn't sound like an exciter, and it wasn't an EQ trick - the bass just sounded much more full, and the results in the osciliscope were quite dramatic, as the wave form changed substanially as the effect was increased. I don't know if Creamware has something like this, but I think it would be hugely popular - especially if used on instruments that were not bass instruments (eg, make a hollow sounding flute sound full and alive).
I don't even know if that's possible, but I don't have the 25,000$ to spend on the real generator that my professor was borrowing from another university.

Now for an easy wish! Or so I think, just a simple octave doubler, that will mimic the signal just an octave or two lower (possibly higher?) nothing perfect, just stompbox quality, and dare I say ModTracker quality, as sounding like a Chipmunk might be appealing in the upcoming holiday season.

Thanks!
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

You might want to check out Celmo's sub-bass X-tractor. Not actually tried it myself yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll do what you want it to do (in the sub-bass part of your query).
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Creamware already has an excellent subbass generator algorithm in it's Osiris package (part of the Tirpledat plugin). Unfortunately it only allows 16 bit wav files and only installs on Win98. But there's supposed to be a new Tripledat coming out, so maybe the Osiris efx will survive. I sure hope so, it's quite an amazing audio restoration suite.
/dave
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

try this

get a filter, and set it to low pass around 100- 250 hz

output that into a pitch shifter set to -12 semitones

mix the output with the original signal.
Chill69

Post by Chill69 »

Thanks for the idea Neutron! For something completely different I switched out the concept for a band reject, and 2 shifters, one at +7 and one at -12. Bad things can happen with good ideas...:grin:
ds-sound

Post by ds-sound »

In continuum of your thoughtline, I recall hearing two plug-ins that inhance the sound in a similar manner.

One of them is the V-Tube plugin, that as far as I know acts as a virtual analog harmonizer by manipulating the frequencies using devision and multipy.

The other plugin (I'd love to ge my hands on that one!) is a bass inhacer that produce a clean 50hz sin-wave, while 'Riding' the original signal accordingly. Nothing like what you just described, I know, but still useful and highly useful. :smile:
ds-sound

Post by ds-sound »

God forbid my spelling.
I should always read my messages before clicking 'submit'...

Enhance, 2xUseful, etc'.
Sorry, I'll be more careful in the future.
:sad: