Clever delay machine

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

mr swim

Post by mr swim »

I'm sure I remember posting something about this but it doesn't seem to be here - I must have been dreaming, which is something I do quite a lot about this particular idea.

I want a delay player that

a)you can set the number of times it spits out the delayed audio (e.g. 4, 6, infinite)- even different amounts for each channel of the stereo ?????
b)you can choose that some of these play in reverse and/or with effects which can be plugged in.
c) maybe even have an LFO assignable to effects which can be put on the whole audio output.

Help me in my time of need, oh yea developers !
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

How do you decide where the beginning of the count is? fruityloops (for example) can do that delay counting thing because it is generating the actual sounds rather than processing them.

think about what would happen if you had a simple snare hit. you set it to delay 3 times. the count starts on the beginning of the first hit (triggered by a gate) then play it back 3 times. but another hit happens before the last one has played. so the delay starts the count again. the sound from the first hit is still in the delay line as well as the second hit. the counting would get all messeed up.

now say you are fruityloops. the "delay" is really just "play the sample 4 times and stop"
at0m

Post by at0m »

How does the SFP Pattern Delay do that? Any developer ever made one?
The Pattern Delay has 4 '1x delays', each with their own pan and volume settings. But it's the user that switches on/off an extra delay. Should be nicely doable to put inserts in the chain, but I reckon each sample/delay line comes straight from the input, and not from the previous delay line. So some smart multi-fx modulation will need to be applied. It'll take lotsa DSP I guess if one had to put a different filter before each delay line, plus having it modulated -per LFO and/or longer delay time etc.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-09-09 22:43 ]</font>
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

True, Neutron, that would be, if not impossible, extremely complex, and hence extremely DSP intensive. True, Atomic, the effects would also eat DSP.

Maybe that is all a bit pie-in-the-sky then . . . oh well, a man can dream . . .

What about the actual reversing of some of the delay data though ? Would that be possible ? Say you've got a multi-tapper . . . could you specify that one of the delays took each input and reversed it ? Or would that fall into the same trap mentioned by Neutron ?

I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT AS A DEVELOPER ! !

one loves ones desires and not that which is desired.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mr swim on 2002-09-10 07:27 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

If it's something really cool, nobody would mind that it ate so much DSP :wink: I wouldn't, if it had reversible delays :-]
borg

Post by borg »

maybe the polyfractus fx delay (vst) could be of a little help. it's definitely not what your really after, but i thought you could set it up to repeat 1 up to 5 or 6 times. must check it out later.
however, don't get excited :wink: