Midi cc # & channel converter

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

scary808

Post by scary808 »

I'm not sure of the possibility or difficulty of this one but here goes:

A device that recognizes specified midi controller data & allows you to send the same controller value to a different controller number &/or midi channel. I was looking at my Roland VS880EX one day & thought "hey these faders transmit midi data" so I hooked it up thinking I could use the VS880 as a control surface. When I did I saw that each fader & pan knob transmitted the same cc# on different midi channels per fader. The CC #'s on these units are fixed. There are probably a lot of other cool things one could do with something like this. I'm sure many of us have Roland VS series products that we wish we could use this way. I did find a way to use the 880 as a control suface, it uses up almost half of my Pulsar 2's DSP.
cook

Post by cook »

I'm trying to do the same.

Any new understandings around this VS880- controller-issue?

Maybe with Pulsar MIDI-Merger?
at0m

Post by at0m »

Have a look at http://www.bome.com/
I use some of his programs, the Midi Translator thing I used to replace what could have been 'midi modular' or something.
cook

Post by cook »

at0mic...always knows something -)
at0m

Post by at0m »

The doctor says I should get some sleep once in a while :razz:

But ofcourse, it would be massive fun if midi translators were integrated into SFP :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-09-19 13:31 ]</font>
scary808

Post by scary808 »

On 2002-09-19 07:56, cook wrote:
I'm trying to do the same.

Any new understandings around this VS880- controller-issue?

Maybe with Pulsar MIDI-Merger?
Here's what I've figured out. On the VS-880, each fader & pan knob transmits the same CC# except on a different Midi channel. When you toggle between the mixer on the 880 luckily the next layer has different CC#s. The way I got around this was I just dropped 16 channel strips into my project. I named & numbered them all, arranged them nicely,and changed the Midi channel to correspond with fader/pan/layer. It takes a lot of DSP but it works.
j9k

Post by j9k »

you can do that with the "to knobs" mdl i built for the mod2.

load the midi controller mdl and assign its' controller number to the incoming message. connect it to the to knobs mdl and assign that one to the new controller #. and also any extra processing in between.

j9k
scary808

Post by scary808 »

Hey j9k,

Any chance you could put a basic project together & post it in the projects area. I'm not quite sure how your module works. That would be cool. :smile:

Chris