NUMBERS for everything

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Yes, to me numbers are far better than turning a virtual knob. Some settings have numbers, but some others do not. This is one of the reasons, why I do not like working with the masterverb - just to name one. I want to be able to dial in everything. I would gladly give away the turning knobs completely. To me working with numbers is much more creative (and precise). I spend less energy trying to twist the knob (possibly to possitions I have allready been at) and more just going thru the options.

NUMBERS ARE FAR BETTER.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

knobs AND numbers....
yes, numbers (expecially hz!) is what i miss sometimes....rated it 10.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Personally I prefer sliders and numbers :wink:
j9k

Post by j9k »

are you talking about the text faders or just the dirrect text input?

what about a separate page like the effects in logic.

j9k

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: j9k on 2002-08-21 01:13 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

Numbers and letters :smile:. Had to use C in the mixer quite a few times. It's almost impossible to center without the c.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Double clicking the pan gives you center position.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

frequencies for filters in mod2!! (the rage continues) :lol:

YES, numbers and correct UNITS for everything, please. None of this "0-128 but you can't see the decimals, sorry" business. How uncreative!

I'd vote this a 100!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2002-08-21 15:23 ]</font>
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

My god people !!!
On 2002-08-19 13:29, Immanuel wrote:

"I Would gladly give away the turning knobs completely"

Immanuel
Beeing a "digitalizt" is one thing....but to give away knobs......?

I know they are not accurate....and i know they aren't real....

But accuracy....like that....
Do you acctually mean that music is supposed to be made matematicly ???

I thaught music came from feelings....

If the sound "feels" just right...then it is right.

Im okay with sliders and numbers or numbers and knobs....

But please...don't take away the knobs from me.....they are all i have...(soft irony)...

Okay....im quite sure that people are going to give me reasons why....

But noone can tell me that numbers are better then knobs.

When i produce....i do not work with my calculator.....i work with my heart !!!

Hope i didn't offend anyone by posting this reply :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2002-08-25 02:28 ]</font>
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

No offense taken from my side.
I myself prefer to work my music with feelings.
But I don't see the point in a round circle with a line having more feeling than a 3 (or more) digit number.
It is about different ways of "holding" the software. I have far more "number intuition" than "tiny round knob with a line intuition"

Immanuel
at0m

Post by at0m »

I totally agree. Buttons are cool, cos the programmer can use different slopes etc. to make the values as much as possible in 'useable range'. Midi divides in 128 values, while 128 often makes for way to big steps. CW stuff seems be able to calculate with much more extended ranges. Like Ken's search for 'actual frequency values for filters'. Would be very nice.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

In most cases you could be accommodated. including the different curves for knobs. unfortunately the text boxes have to be changed by the developer to make them take negative numbers.

It is not that hard to have both a knob and a number, it is just deciding if a certain knob is fine as a knob or better with a value attached as well.

Defilter for example is a filter (although not readily available) that shows the actual filter freq, and you can enter it . some controls on it do go from 0 to 127 because their is not a proper value that can be entered (such as "q").

what would you put as a "proper" measurement of wet-dry mix for example? i would think 0 to 127 would be the best because we already use those values in a sequencer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neutron on 2002-08-29 02:46 ]</font>