Better GUI

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Re: Better GUI

Post by braincell »

Being able to export Scope audio from Cubase under the Rewire protocol would be a lot easier than recording ASIO into Cubase. When recording Scope, you have to set up a track, and record in real time. When you export from Cubase, it's much faster than real time and it can automatically import the section you just exported. I do this all the time with a keyboard shortcut. It takes seconds and much less effort than recording an ASIO track from Scope. Being "workable" as you said isn't good enough. It should be an elegant solution. That is the whole point of Rewire. You don't absolutely need it but it is great.

Reason is not for me because I don't do that kind of electronic beat music. It's not comparable to Cubase really. Apples and oranges.
dante

Post by dante »

braincell wrote:Reason is not for me because I don't do that kind of electronic beat music. It's not comparable to Cubase really. Apples and oranges.
Reason is not restricted to electronic beat music. Far from it.
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's a bunch of synthesizers and drum machines. I play cello, saxophone, guitar and trumpet. I don't do synthesizers and drum machines anymore primarily.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

braincell wrote:It's a bunch of synthesizers and drum machines. I play cello, saxophone, guitar and trumpet. I don't do synthesizers and drum machines anymore primarily.
BS !

It´s up to you if you use the Pheads instruments devices.
Reason 6.5 is a almost fully fledged DAW application w/ the exception it lacks VST support.
For a native app, the SSL modelled mixer is cool and most FX devices are usable.
Like you can buy 3rd party VST plugins,- you´re free to buy REs (Rack Extensions) to complete the pallette.
It´s a hard disk recorder like any other DAW, w/ comping, time stretch, quantisiation and more.
It´s not only a sample player,- it´s a real sampler incl. automated slicing and REX file export.
There is a timeline and there are signature changes possible for audio/MIDI sequencing.

It´s definitely not the same like Cubase but it also don´t wants to be,- but you can record your cello, saxophone, guitar and trumpet in Reason like in any other DAW application.

Reason was a native software instruments and FX rack up to version 4,- then it started to change since v5.0 w/ the name "Record".
Since v6.0 Reason and Record are ONE application and w/ Reason 7 there will come more features like (advanced) MIDI Out, more audio busses stuff and partial integration of Phead "ReCycle" features.

Especially when you DON´T need lost of VST stuff and use external MIDI gear and/or real instruments,- you can do a complete production in Reason 6.5.3 today and it will onyl be better w/ Reason 7 being released april 30.

I was a long time Cubase user,- switched to Presonus Studio One Pro 2 last year and use Reason 6.5.3, all together w/ SCOPE 5.1 and now waiting for SCOPE 6.
If Reason would become a rewire master,- and I hope it will be maybe w/ Reason 7.5,- I´d use Reason as my main DAW feeding SCOPE environment via ASIO and MIDI and rewire Plogue Bidule to Reason as a "low CPU VSThost" for the last 3 or 4 VSTis I need.
B.t.w.,- I like the GUI of the SCOPE environment.
For me, it´s easy to work with and with almost no need to read the manual, except for in-depth features of some special devices.
The SCOPE 6 GUI will be improved anyway,- so I wait what comes and see then.

SCOPE 5.1, XITE-1 and Reason together are already winners for me.
They cover an extremely wide range of sounds together w/ my MIDI hardware controller keyboards delivering sounds too.
I can play,- so I have no probs recording into any DAW recorder like I recorded to tape in the past.
Not all the VST sequencers features are necessary for me.
Once I recorded something,- I can mix in SCOPE.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Well summarised !
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Well summarised !
This afternoon, I recognized there´s a Youtube vid demonstrating Reason 7 parallel bus features in the SSL mixer.
You´re able to create "parallels" from already existing parallel busses by mouseclick from pulldown menue.
Easy to create fat sounding tracks that way and before streaming into SCOPE mixer which is limited count of channels,- and there´s the SAT connections limit too.

Bud
braincell

Post by braincell »

I hope for Rewire too! I do use a lot of VSTi stuff too such as Kontakt and Battery (with my own samples) and Vienna Imperial (best piano I have tried).
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote:Especially when you DON´T need lost of VST stuff and use external MIDI gear and/or real instruments,- you can do a complete production in Reason 6.5.3 today and it will onyl be better w/ Reason 7 being released april 30.
Bud
In fact many of my Kontakt VSTI's are now replacable in Reason such as Suitcase Rhodes, Dan Dean Bass Guitar library, Mellotron and my DX7 sounds can be multilayered with PX7 (which I have now and have loaded multilple instances into Reason no problem).

Admittedly some of these are 'LITE' versions ( eg not a full EWQL Orchestra ) but they do the job I need. Some third parties release both as Kontakt Library and a Reason Refill. Couple that with some of the amazing Rack Extensions coming out, and Reason is progressing in leaps and bounds now and we are able to do more and more stand-alone in it than ever before. Its only a matter of time before a full Orchestra Rack Extension comes out, challenging at least the lighter versions of EWQL and such I predict.
braincell

Post by braincell »

My feeling is that Reason uses lite versions because Reason users have less money to spend. I love Cubase 7. I have no Reason to get Reason.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

:)
Last edited by ShogunSpy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Bud Weiser wrote: Especially when you DON´T need lost of VST stuff and use external MIDI gear and/or real instruments,- you can do a complete production in Reason 6.5.3 today and it will onyl be better w/ Reason 7 being released april 30.

I was a long time Cubase user,- switched to Presonus Studio One Pro 2 last year and use Reason 6.5.3, all together w/ SCOPE 5.1 and now waiting for SCOPE 6. If Reason would become a rewire master,- and I hope it will be maybe w/ Reason 7.5,- I´d use Reason as my main DAW feeding SCOPE environment via ASIO and MIDI and rewire Plogue Bidule to Reason as a "low CPU VSThost" for the last 3 or 4 VSTis I need.
Bud
The bad news is - Reason 7 requires Windows 7 - wont work on XP. Well, if Scope 6 wont run on XP either then it may force the issue anyway.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:
The bad news is - Reason 7 requires Windows 7 - wont work on XP. Well, if Scope 6 wont run on XP either then it may force the issue anyway.
Yep, I recognized that in a minute after I typed my post above.
No biggie, most of todays upgrades require Win7 and I won´t upgrade as soon Reason 7 will be available april 30.

The very bad news is,- I cannot upgrade my machine to Win 7 because there are no Win7 drivers for that board on ASUS site.
New machine needed, not only for Reason but also for NI Komplete upgrade from v7 to 8 or 9.

But,- I´m waiting for my 2nd SCOPE PCI card, 6DSP ... and the ASUS P5WD2 Premium mobo offers 2 for audio cards working PCI slots which can get their exclusive IRQ,- which is the GOOD news.
The Intel dual core machine w/ XP will become the one for 15+6DSP PCI cards.
I think will be ideal for the BC Modular stuff and STS samplers running in SCOPE 4.5.

I aquired a 3HU rackmount case and have to find a quality PSU which fits.
That will be the basis for a separate XITE-1 machine.
I expect SCOPE 6 requiring Win 7 too because it´s also about OSC support.
Upgrade time is when SCOPE 6 is out.
Can´t wait for Musikmesse news.

In the meantime, I´m busy re-configurating my home studio ...
Today, I aquired an Ashly SRA-4150 quad-amp (1HU) and found someone selling an Ashly MX508 mixer in perfect condition.
I hope it´s not sold already.
Some service/repair parts from US, Taiwan and UK on the way to my home,- some w/ delay unfortunately.

All will need some time to be finished, so no hurry w/ updates/upgrades.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Since I have a machine capable of running x64 (8GB RAM) - I'm considering the option of dual boot, so I can setup x64 but still maintain x32 whioch I know everything is working on, until all x64 issues solved.

My C: has WinXP32 on it - my D: drive has plenty of space.

Should I install Win 7 / 8 x64 on D: - or should I create a new partition ?

The techy here at work says I should just be able to install Win8 on D:, and then select which OS to run at Boot time.

Would it be that easy ?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dante wrote:Since I have a machine capable of running x64 (8GB RAM) - I'm considering the option of dual boot, so I can setup x64 but still maintain x32 whioch I know everything is working on, until all x64 issues solved.

My C: has WinXP32 on it - my D: drive has plenty of space.

Should I install Win 7 / 8 x64 on D: - or should I create a new partition ?

The techy here at work says I should just be able to install Win8 on D:, and then select which OS to run at Boot time.

Would it be that easy ?
A dual boot system works always ...

3 options:

2 separate partitions on the same drive,- Partition C:\ w/ XP like it is actually,- Win 7 or Win 8 on partition D:\ (same drive).

You should install all you VST plugins into a vstplugins-folder into a separate partition E:\ on the same drive or on a separate drive.
It will be recognized by both systems by tweaking the VST path in the registry.

or

2 separate drives,-w/ the disadvantage the at the moment unused drive spins always too and wears out while using the other system drive.

or

put your Win XP system drive in a removable case/caddy (3.5">5.25") and do the same w/ the other system drive and Win 7 or 8.

Swap drives (Win XP or 7/8) on demand before booting the machine.

I´d go for solution 1 or 3.

Bud
bosone

Post by bosone »

what i really miss in the SFP workflow is the possibility to switch mix channels or change effects routing inside the inserts, just as i can do in sonar....
hubird

Post by hubird »

good one, Bosone.
Working at a mix I often need to change mono/stereo settings of channels and reorganize them, as you never have enough of them (in my case 24 adat channels)
To be able to change effects slots routing would also be nice.
First having to save save the preset (a stupid proces if you wanne save it up to project level), then changing the slots
is quite boring.
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

what would be cool if someone made a Multi FX plugin with some kind of matrix to arrange the slots into.
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
braincell

Post by braincell »

Making software look like hardware is called "skeuomorphism." I think it's really stupid and it's not in vogue anymore. The emphasis should be on having it easy to read with no distractions. If they wait another 10 years to update the look it might be back in stye again though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

braincell wrote:Making software look like hardware is called "skeuomorphism." I think it's really stupid and it's not in vogue anymore. The emphasis should be on having it easy to read with no distractions. If they wait another 10 years to update the look it might be back in stye again though. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although Native Instruments seems to have also missed the boat on this. Perhaps Germans are still in retro mode. HEY GUYS! IT'S 2013! TIME TO WAKE UP!
You should buy your software elsewhere when not being satisfied w/ GUI and workflow.
It´s pretty clear how SCOPE 6 will look like,- you see it on their website (at least before you buy).
Same rules for the other companies.
GUIs are a matter of taste too ...

When someone makes a Minimoog clone p.ex., he wants to make exactly that and when I decide to buy it,- I´m happy I find all the operational elements where they are on the hardware devices panel,- so no learning curve.

See, you´re only one little braincell and most of these companies have marketing research departments,- so what you get is the result of their research.

S|C probably doesn´t have a large marketing research department,- but the SCOPE environment was successful for decades for the customers who wanted it like it was and is.
For anyone who worked in hardware recording studios in the past or toured w/ lots of keys and multi-rack systems, virtual cabeling like in SCOPE, Bidule and Reason is the easiest to follow and understand.
Please forgive the old experienced guys having no intention to re-learn all new because of graphical gimmics and most photo realistic or futuristic designs.
We simply don´t watch the music, we listen to it.

Bud
braincell

Post by braincell »

May I remind you that this is the wishlist section. It's not for people who are totally satisfied. If you don't want change, you should not be in this section of the forum. I have a right to my opinion and that is what the wishlist is for. Maybe you don't have an opinion. That is fine. This section is to talk about what we want. It is not to dis people who want different things than you do. Again, it's not about me. It's about Scope so please don't talk about me. That should be obvious but some people seem to miss the obvious. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: