Kontakt

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Kontakt

Post by peksi »

Native Instruments Kontakt has a lot of high quality instruments and more keep coming. That platform would be worth while to port to Scope.
jhulk

Re: Kontakt

Post by jhulk »

it sounds like kontakt

the filters are week

but its easy to port

just convert the nki files to

akai format

and use the sts samplers
peksi

Post by peksi »

I just bought orchestral instruments and they got pretty nice articulations implemented in those things like sampled portamentos to make it sound natural when playing live with keyboard. I think it is some sort of scripting and that would be lost in the conversion I think.
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:just convert the nki files to akai format and use the sts samplers
WHat program to use to do this jhulk ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

cdxtract or extreme sample converter...
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yep gb is right

as for the scripting thats a kontakt thing

scripting allows you to layer sounds and add controls so that you can control from a panel

but i do thee same in modular i just add the layers and the controls on the screen

in a modular format

no having to switch between panels

and im not limited to using the filter once set by the scripting i use the polyfilter mostly as its like having the martrix 12 filter which you can swap out to what ever you want

the other problem with kontakt is your fixed to the scripting samples you can add your own to that script with out deleting the sample content then adding yours as the same names

which is very time consuming

in modular i can have folders of samples of any samples i require

then i can use any and preset it to any so that when i preset the samples change with the presets i make

just like a sampler /rompler does which is more like reason

in kontakt its very hard to bank lots of samples ln scripting

say i have 20gb of sample files in folders for my modular its not a problem it only loads the samples used in the layers

now with kontakt scripting those samples would have to be in layers

so say i have 4000 multisamples in that 20gb of samples in folders

now with the script i would require 4000 layers

which means when loading that instrument it would have to load 20gb of content every time

and hence why you need windows 7/8 for bigger ram

but with modular say its a 4 voice instrument then if i loaded 4 different multisamples in each layer of 32mb 4 layer velocity akai format samples of 108 samples

it would be a max of 128mb per preset it would be less if i used the same sample in each layer

now if i did the same in kontakt

a 4 voice synth which can have 4 different multisound multi velocity layers

using any one of the 4000 multisounds like the modular

would have to load all the 4000 multisamples for the script to choose them inside the instrument

so even though you would only be using 4 multisamples max for a synth patch and maybe only being 128mb

because the script has to have the instruments in layers so that you can choose them it need to load all the multisounds

this makes it impractical as a rompler

unlike reason which can get the files from folders just like modular can

now with the new sample osc the modular is now a very capable sampler in the fashion of the emu ultra range as you can add layers and samples just by loading what is necessary

and then the samples are just stored on the hard disk until they are needed and loaded into the sample osc when needed

also in kontakt its a pain to create good modulation matrix's or even vector synth models the same its a pain in reason

but in modular you just add the module and wire it up and its there for control

and with the bc modular modules and the 14bit midi cc control messages the modular can be controlled very smoothly

all my midi tracks is run from an atari 1040ste with cubase 3

this midi clock is sent to my daw as the latest daws the midi by usb is crap i only use my daws for audio recording and nothing else as they are very good time keepers in the audio realm
peksi

Post by peksi »

Modular V with Kontakt instrument compatibility might then be the thing. Holger, could you do that for us? :)
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

mod4 is finished it would have to be something totally new

sdk6 type module but what your asking for is a sample module that has a format conversion routine for other formats like kontakt format

problem there is up to kontakt 3 the format was easily converted

but from kontakt 4 it was an embedded format and no one has found out how to translate the nki files but the samples are in wave format so you can make your own keymap file up for it

which means a little work on your part

dont need to wait for s/c or modv for this

as just around the corner is a sample osc with akai 4 voice layer velocity and it works great you can then turn you kontakt 3 nki files into a sf2 instrument

and load that into the sample osc as it has sts and sf2 compatibility

or you can convert it to akai format which is the biggest and most used format of all the akai s1000 format has the biggest cdrom library of all the formats
peksi

Post by peksi »

The best orchestral and choral sets are all only in Kontakt format. The world seems to be moving that way.

Akai S1000 format has some orchestral stuff too but no where near matching quality. I cannot say about other genres though.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes but kontakt 4+ formats are imbedded and cant be converted

s/c would need permission to add format dont think thats going to happen

as a competitive company

as i said you can use the samples they are in wave format

as for s1000 you can do new samples that are multi gb in akai format just like kontakt as they just use wave files then make keymaps up that are converted to the s1000 or kontakt nki format

i do use kontakt and when doing your own samples you have to make a key group layer then add wave files or aiff and then place them on the keymap then doing all the looping for that velocity layer then you have to the next velocity layer and on and on

just like you had todo in hard ware samplers

once you have done all your velocity layers then you add all the synth stuff so that it switches between and crossfades the layers

once done you save it as a nki file

so todo the same for modular you can make up keymaps in awave studio or constructor using the same samples and then save it to the format that the new modular sample osc can use

either way its easily done just needs some work on your part

thats how the people do it who create kontakt instruments and how we have always done it in hardware samplers

some one has to construct the instrument so that it can be played by the instrument

get your hands dirty and roll your own keymaps unless you can find a way for nki version 4/5 to be translated and if so ill buy your program