XITE-L

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

XITE-L

Post by dante »

An idea I had for the next XITE model, which would be called XITE-L (for Live).

This model could run standalone as a synth expander (similar to NOAH) but it would be only 1U high per current XITE-1.

You could use it with a PC the same way as with XITE-1 but load LIVE only projects into it (eg Scope projects that used no DAW related software I/O's such as ASIO/WAV, just the XITE hardware MIDI and Audio I/O's). These Scope projects could be stored on non-volatile storage inside XITE-L and called up from front panel or MIDI program change.

Hence no need to take a PC on the road for Live, but would work the same as current XITE-1 in a studio with DAW and PCIe connector. Hardware Audio in's would work as well in case you wanted to do Vocoding or other similar insert FX processing. Guitarists could use XITE-L as a huge stomp box. H/W Mixers like BCF2000 or Mackie could be connected into Scope projects with a MIDI controlled STM with ADAT I/O.

Would this be feasible / good or bad idea ?
jksuperstar

Re: XITE-L

Post by jksuperstar »

It's a great idea. You'd have to promise to never use any devices that use host RAM, like masterverb, delays, samplers, etc.

Maybe it could also be done by a small single board computer that has a cardbus slot on it, and no moving parts. Auto-boot to SCOPE, and then just add project loading via Program Change, or something like that.
dante

Post by dante »

Yes, you're right, it would have to be restricted to devices that did not use any ASYNC. The project window could have a 'Build for Live' mode, where async devices, software I/O's and anything else that needed host comms would not appear on the device menus.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Plugiator! :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dante

Post by dante »

Don't think plugiator work like an XITE in a DAW context - it's a fixed architecture synth box like Noah isnt it ?

I'm talking something that can run Scope projects - both standalone and with DAW.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Sure, Dante, I was joking... a modular architecture PC independent is still a dream for us on PlanetZ.
In these days I'm trying to build a little modular rack with a ITX MB + Atom CPU, and a little case, a 16 knobs controller built in and a fixed and complex ModIII patch.
Just for this usage.
With an automatic boot and without monitor or mouse.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

xite-L

the L stands for Laptop you know__

good vibes
dante

Post by dante »

Well I would be very interested in covering your project in ScopeRise Erminadi. Also interested in how much of Scope can actually run without a host once the project is loaded
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

ok, I'll keep you updated. :)
the only question is if 22W can be enough for the sound card Pulsar 6DSP ...

Latest news: instead a 16 knob controller I've decided for a dedicated REAL modular touch controller as Jazz Mutant Lemur. In this way I can change everything inside the patch without monitor/mouse/keyboard, anc I can in future also change my modular patch (or device).

:)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

erminardi, if you have an iPad, you can get an RDP client and remote into the ITX box, so you have full control, then also run Lemur or TouchOSC as the MIDI controller. Works great :)

the total price is less than 1/2 of the Jazzmutant Lemur, and you can still have full control of the PC. so get an ITX box with wireless if you can, and make a secure adhoc network between the two. you can also route any compliant midi device connected to the iPad through to the pc over wifi if you want the iPad/controller free from the pc rack on stage.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Thanks for the tips, but a second hand Lemur was mine yesterday for 350 euros.
I prefer professional and stable Ethernet link instead weak WiFi... I still prefer one single piece of gear for every dedicate duty instead a "toy" like iPad/iPhone/Android that promise everything but not so stable for seroius usage ;)
ehasting

Post by ehasting »

i think an ipad with a dock is not in "toy" genre. In fact the ipad is amazingly stabile, and the lemur software are getting updates :).
However i see your network thoughts, and i guess the best way around is to use midi connection from the ipad, which will work just great.
(but stay away from the Alesis IO dock, it dosnt support SysEX :P)

But anyway.. whatever templates you create for your Lemur, i am of intresst :)
Higen
http://www.scopeportal.com - Community Sonic Core SCOPE Plugins and Devices
http://www.higen.org
dante

Post by dante »

Erminadi, heres hoping your project will be a success.

Errata: Subsitute 'host bound' where I mentioned 'Async' above - as it has come to my notice that the two terms are not nessesarily equivalent.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I'm not a Apple user, so:
1 x iPad = 600 euro (because I want last version with 3g, if I would decide to buy one :D )
1 x dock = around 100 euro
1 x app = around 40 euro
total: 740 euro
pros: a lot of others "toys" app
cons: wifi, for sure I would use it for other 10.000 uses... so a lot of confusion. Not professional!

1 x second hand Lemur with Mu and Dexter inside = 380 euro
pros: cheaper, its dedicate and professional also for live.
cons: not an ubiquitous iPad ;)

here my simple thoughts.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

380 euro is a great price, especially with Mu & Dexter! Last I saw one for sale, it was $1200 US.

I mentioned the iPad because it is available, and the Lemur is only on the used market. Also, I tend to use the iPad as an interface to my DAW (Live) and to SCOPE, so no sequencing happens (typically) on the iPad. As such, ultra low latency isn't high priority, even though latency on iPad virtual keyboards really is unnoticeable.