Korg Delta

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Korg Delta

Post by dawman »

Thanks CW.
I went from 10 down to 4, I should have gone to 1 I will try that.
Then I can use the vast folder of samples I have collected too.
I sort of gave up on x64 Sample Ocillators when I found trouble in SYnthskool.
But it would be great to have them working with some new work around....

Ankyu
dante

Post by dante »

Nice patch. Loaded it into modIV and started playing around. I got the prob with not all notes triggering. On load, I turned ther volume of some of the Oscillators down because I found a major third was playing on a single key. Soon managed to isolate and re-tune oscillators.

Will try out all the various waveforms next.

Great stuff.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

its definetly something wrong with the sample osc you need to switch down to 1 voice then back to the poly ytou need

now there is another way i can just send the wav files in a folder and place that were the device is and then load them that way maybe doing presets will then

work

as the 30 presets i did were wicked and you can get some very complex scapes from this device

but wasting 4 hours on them for them to be lost to time and space is just a shame

i wish i had written them down on patch saheets the good old way at least i would of remembered how i did them thats modular synths for you

if you dont write it down or sample it its gone
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:its definetly something wrong with the sample osc you need to switch down to 1 voice then back to the poly ytou need
Yes that works !
jhulk wrote:now there is another way i can just send the wav files in a folder and place that were the device is and then load them that way maybe doing presets will then work
Yes that would be good, and then allow us to load each osc with any of the waveforms to experiment. EDIT - I just found out how to do that w/ Drag and Drop from Sample Pool list !!!
jhulk wrote: as the 30 presets i did were wicked and you can get some very complex scapes from this device but wasting 4 hours on them for them to be lost to time and space is just a shame
Yes that would be frustrating.

Anyway at least we have something to noodle around with, getting close to the Delta !!

Thanks again.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i have always done the drag and drop from the pool

otherwise it would be pointless in having a sample pool if you cant get at the files

dante ill do the pool as samples in its own file

and as using the jd800 pool as thats supposed to use zarg sample pool

either way i will nail this in the but so that it can do presets

but i think the sample folder pool will be better as then the dev file wont grow every time we do a preset

i have been making modular modules for 20 years and diy synths

and i repair all makes of synths and samplers aned do new upgrades to old equipement

we are curently making new pcm cards for the m1 t1 wavestation as the soft version just dont sound the same

i have been producing sample sets for the last 22 years and you might of heard some of my creations in ensoniq hardware

we will sort this out before i release my other modular devs
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:i have always done the drag and drop from the pool otherwise it would be pointless in having a sample pool if you cant get at the files
Yeah my bad for not reading the manual :roll:

Anyways look fwds to developments :)

Hope a re-install fixes your delays and reverbs.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

delete the sound pool ill upload a new folder this has the dev file and the sample folder pool

presets work ok like this and dont add to the size of the dev

so the answer to the sample problems is dont use sample pools as they are buggy

cuases problems with presets

now i dont know if this also cuases the same problem for the poly

but i can now do presets ok no more wasting time

the dev will be only 1 note poly so that it works from the batt then its up to you to do the amount of poly you require

now lets make some presets

no need for work arounds any longer just use a folder make a folder of the devs name put dev in that folder open folder make another folder with the name of the samples put your samples in this folder now when distributing this file zip the folder and all the files will be where they are supposedf to be

now unzip folder in devs folder choose the modular 2 folder and unzip there

now when you are on the main place for choosing the devs goto the mod2 folder and there should be a folder of the korg delta on roids then a open box comes up with the dev just like when going through the patches

choose the dev and it will load up now when you press on the L button to load samples it will automatically come up with the sample folder just load the sample

and your away no need to search as its set up that way on my system

hope this makes it easier for everyone and all my modular patches will be done like this from now on as its the easiest way and simplist with out any problems

have a nice day its actually sunny here for the first time in 3 months with out rain
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

here is the dev in the folder zipped just unzip

into your devices folder in the mod2 folder

the presets work ok now

if there still any problems let me know
Last edited by jhulk on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks jhulk, I will try out next time I am in studio, and create some explanations in ScopeRise. Then make/use presets for music :)
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:i just looked through my collection as i have in the past had use of a synth museum in bristol which had some good old synths that i got to play with
Is this the museum ?

http://jonathan.miller4.users.btopenwor ... orrell.pdf
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes andy horrel

he owns emis music shop in an old church

i brought a lot of my gear from him all my quasimidi gear

my mackie analog desk

and various bits and pieces

he has some great synths the syrinx not seen many of those about

and his roland 100 modular
dante

Post by dante »

Yes 2 x pics of Roland Modular on page 4, and the EMU Modular as well (I didnt know EMU had a Modular) - not to mention Fairlight CMI. And amongst all that Analog, he says his favourite is a DX1 !

Awesome stuff, if I ever go UK I MUST see this museum.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes emu were famous for there modular synth thats what made there bread and butter before they did samplers

they invented the polyphonic keyboard which the prophet5 used

they invented all the custom synth chips the ssm range by dave rossom

he also invented the h and g and e chips

which were used in the emax 1 and 2 and the e3x and the ultra series which uses 2 of these h and g chip for the zplane filters

all the filter and other synmth chips were designed on the emu modular first

then they let them be used by other companies

sequencial had to pay royalties for the stuff they used from emu the biggest cost being the polyphonic keyboard

yes if you go to his shop which is just outside bristol in mangottsfield which is in the bristol county

you just after ask him to have a look and he will take you up there as its in the roof of the synth shop

as i used to buy lots of stuff from him i went up there a few times in the 90,s and sampled a few nice things he nver had the dx1 then other wise i would of sample it to death that thing has poly aftertouch and you can layer patches it has the best dacs and its crystal clear

the syrinx is a great synth he had that back then i sampled that and his modulars he has a massive moog and roland 100 and 700

it was also becuase of him that a brought a matrix12 as he was showing me the modulation potential on sound you could create complex modulation that you could play a pad sound that evolved over 2 mins

he also showed me how to use a lfo in time with a bass drum on a gem s2turbo that it synced in time and would make the drum thud

i brought my first pulsa2 from him in 2000

and i brought the best ever controller keyboard the quasimidi cyber6

and still use it today as it has the best programmable arpegs ever you can have upto 32 midi channels triggering and its great for those trance effects

it has a 8 track sequencer with groove swing like the mpc60
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:as i used to buy lots of stuff from him i went up there a few times in the 90,s and sampled a few nice things he nver had the dx1 then other wise i would of sample it to death that thing has poly aftertouch and you can layer patches it has the best dacs and its crystal clear
Yes, only 140 of those DX1 ever made (less than Solaris?). If he got one now, he's a lucky man.
dante

Post by dante »

JHulk, this patch is good. I made a demo :

http://soundcloud.com/hitfoundry/modular-korg

Its damn close to the original, not quite the same in the bass, but pretty damn good in mid range, close for a sample based model !
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

nice patch sounds great

the problem with the bass end is that its only one sample

for it to have really good deep bass i need to use c2 samples minimum

i can doit with 3 multisamples but it would mean 18 sample osc

as you need 3 sample osc for each section then you have to set each one to a keyboard range

if you want to try this version let me know as i can make a version with the 18 sample osc

but dsp load will be higher

i will do it that way for the vp330 as the samples will be permenantly set you wont need to change them

glad you like it look forward to hearing some more of your preset collections
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

isn't the synth section of the korg delta, based on 4 square oscillators divided in 4 octaves?

Why don't you replace sample oscillators with square ones?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes that can easily be done

but i sampled the settings of the sound generators at different levels

you could also swap the sample osc for the wavetable osc

which has many variations of waveforms

the patch works nice and you can get some nice sound scapes
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i see it's great to make sounds with your modular patch, i'm interested in the emulation, but there isn't much information around the internet about the korg delta, so i have found a couple of reviews and the manual, where it is supposed to be paraphonic and it uses one only square oscillator and flip flop circuit to do the harmonic split.
They wrote that the oscillator is square, so i pointed out that your wavetables aren't squares, but maybe the summing result of multiple squares at different pitch, so it would be interesting to record the clean out of each of the synthesizer section(let say, filter is bypassed and one only signal generator at a time).
This is just for the sake of 1:1 emulation.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

your write a lot of the waveforms are not squares

its to do with the octal ranges and the noise and the filter

i have done lots of sampling of analog synths and the variation of square waves and saw and tri is so vast no square wave is the same from each manufacturer

its not like additive synthesis where you can get perfect square waves or saw the more patials you use the great the waveform

they used crude shaping circuitsd on sin waves or saw waves to get a square

its not supposed to be a 1 to 1 emulation as i never just sample the osc on there own i sampled many variations of the sound generator and noise

its taken the idea of octal sound generation of osc waveforms but using more complex waves as used in this config you generate even more complex waves

coupled with the poly filter with different types you can create sounds that the delta cant as its limited to lowpass filter

and the string section i have added there own osc and filter which is not on the delta

what i was aiming for was the flow of the delta but brought upto date with the things we have at our disposal

im glad you like it but its still in developement

and dante is helping me as it was his original idea as we want to get it as good as possible

any feed back also is welcome thanks or proposals thanks