Empty Modular with also mod ins and outs

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

ChrisWerner

Empty Modular with also mod ins and outs

Post by ChrisWerner »

It would be great to have also mod ins and outs beside the audio ins/outs.
Something like the circuit level module but available in the scope project level.
So someone could build a modulation mod device, filter device, OSC device, effect device etc. but connect them on the scope project level.
This would help me to spread a modular synth over different modules.
roy thinnes

Re: Empty Modular with also mod ins and outs

Post by roy thinnes »

what's the difference between Mod and Audio? They are both "Sync" signals.
Or, in other words, what Mod Sources do you think of, if not sync signals, like Lfo, Envelope, Osc etc ?
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Yep, for example, connecting one LFO out from one modular patch to a new empty modular patch and use it there. Is it a async signal then ?
Sorry, I have mad ideas but I am to lazy to go into deep details, sometimes.

I can connect an LFO out to an audio out in mod 4 but I cannot get it back from the audio in to a, lets say Lmod of an ADSR.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

I see, it's that old sync-async thingy, which IS quite confusing if you are not a developer.
So:
Sync signals is everything related to Audio signals, like Osc out, Mixer in/out, Envelope out, MVC freqOut. very fast, in high precision.
Typical Async signals are MVCs control signals like note, vel, AT, gate, clock. All Env inputs are async. (As I believe) there are some signals that have better precision than others, like MidiGate vs. EnvTM or LM.
Because the PC/Mac (which has to deal with other processe too) is involved, precision is not so high.
And there is yet another thing because with Flexor, you have only sync signals, (including Env gateIn).

Conclusion: if Modular don't let you connect some Mod source (from within or outside the Modular shell) to a specific input, use a sync-async module.

IMHO it would have been better if there are special coloured pads for async signals, not just the usual blue ones.