Emt140 plate reverb!

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

Emt140 plate reverb!

Post by the19thbear »

The only software reverb that really sounds like the real deal is the uad version. I LOVE that sound! That is the only plugin I really miss now that I have sold my uad card.
We have some very great sounding reverbs on this platform, including the free spring reverb (can't remember who made it though). Why not the emt 140 plate?:)
erminardi

Re: Emt140 plate reverb!

Post by erminardi »

I agree, EMT Plate is almost the only (soft)reverb I use intensively in my mixes!
Actually and now I really don't know how to replace it...

Try RSPV-01 Masterplate v3 for free from Hifiboom or plate that comes with 5.x Scope SO, but I prefer EMT overall.
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

the19thbear wrote:.. including the free spring reverb (can't remember who made it though)....
Do you mean Celmo's one?
astroman

Post by astroman »

Celmo's isn't free, the one mentioned was probably by MCCY...
but sorry, both devices don't really shake it...
the 'best' one I found in software is Type4 by an Italian guy who also makes a nice Space Echo emulation...
You can get real ones (spring reverbs that is) on eBay for a few bucks as outdated hifi gear, for example the Sansui RA-900. They all feature sick light effects :lol:

cheers, Tom
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

The type4 is sadly a spring reverb. I'm looking for a plate, a real old school plate emulated in software. Might have to use nebula though... Even though the interface is counter intuitive.
astroman

Post by astroman »

yeah, sorry for dropping in that crap and the diss...
but I remember a quote from Warp69 when asked to 'extend' his devices (which the SC PLate is effectively)
He said it would be impossible without some other DSP modules.
He got as far as he could and didn't see any way to break the limit with what was available that time (several years ago).
I'd expect something in that domain, as this big memory/bus hog doesn't seem to exist on the new architecture. Someone will do it... (pure speculation)

cheers, Tom
(I find the SC Plate pretty good and of course the P100)
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

The Plate140 use FDN for the tail which can be recreated in the current SDK, but unfortunately there's also a small convolution part (probably 256 samples) which is more difficult to recreate efficiently on Scope. It can be done with a lot of feedback modules (1 sample delays). Unfortunately we don't have convolution modules in Scope SDK (the sharcs even have specific instructions (fused multiply/add) for this purpose) so any implementation of convolution in Scope SDK would be unnecessary demanding.

The question is - do you love the sound of EMT 140 or the sound of UAD 140?
garyb

Post by garyb »

is that true in the current sdk too?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Yes. There're no new modules available in the new SDK 5.1 - I think the primary priority was compatibility with Vista/7 and 64bit.

You could argue that it's way more feasible on XITE than the PCI boards - I haven't done any tests.
garyb

Post by garyb »

so we just need a dsp programmer to write the code for the convolution module. :lol:
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

The question is - do you love the sound of EMT 140 or the sound of UAD 140?:
Well.. i have never used the real thing - but used the uad alot.
The thing is that i instantly recognise the sound of old plates - i get a "feeling". Not sure if it is specifically the EMT 140 - but the UAD 140 gives me the same "feeling".
Very vague i know... but i cant describe it better:) But that is what leads me to think that i love the sound of the EMT 140 - any big old plate might do though... i'll have to hear (and feel :P ) first.
astroman

Post by astroman »

:o and I was really thinking you were 'experienced' ... with the EMT 'thingy' :D
probably it's less the plate than the recording itself... you mention 'old', so I guess analog tracking...

btw I had a similiar impression with Warp's A100 when adding a bit (less than 20%) of 'small room' to whatever was on the channel. Kind of old tape recording sheen which quality analog stuff delivers, so to say...
BBE once had a whitepaper online that described a (imho) comparable process they use in their sound enhancers.
No science claim, tho - was just listening.

cheers, Tom
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

I have tracked many whole sessions to 24 track tape and mixed on SSL consoles.. that alone wont make it sound old. if you want i want it to sound old, i mess stuff up and saturate tape and use color plugins. BUT the UAD emt will give it the final "old" sound. it of course wont sound old if you use it in electronic music... im just missing the icing on the cake... old icing - yuck!
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, if the UAD delivers just that, then it's a very affordable way of faking - who cares if the result pleases.
I was just trying to focus away from the reverb as a reverb, as I'd consider that more a symptom than the source.

cheers, Tom
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

The UAD 140 doesn't like my EMT140, but yet again, none of the plugins sounds identical to my hardware unites - maybe my hardware units just sounds different compared to the versions UA have access to.

The UAD EMT250 does actually sound similar (maybe 80-85% - the overall tone is the same).

I thought DAS was working on something?
Last edited by Warp69 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Yes I remember a picture here on Z, there was a hardware plate reverb unit standing in their laboratory.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Warp69 wrote:Yes. There're no new modules available in the new SDK 5.1 - I think the primary priority was compatibility with Vista/7 and 64bit.

You could argue that it's way more feasible on XITE than the PCI boards - I haven't done any tests.

Sonic Core did state in a email to SDK developers that they wanted feedback and requests for future implimentations in the SDK iirc. So it's definitely important that experienced developers like yourself tell them what's needed for the SDK.

In order for this platform to easily go to the next level the SDK has to permit it i'm sure. Also hope S|C don't take too long for the upgraded SDK when requests are made.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

My primary priority is a working developing environment and in my case that includes working Wave drivers - In my setup Im unable to use Scope SDK without wave drivers, I will be happy when they fix the wave drivers so I can start using Xite and the SDK.

Im sure others with access to Scope SDK will express their needs to SC.
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's sad to see that with the amount of on chip RAM we have that some serious attempt at making the XBox a huge multiFX unit might never happen.
I am still quite pleased with using it as live mixing, monitoring, and synth emulation instrument.
Nothing compares.
But it's depressing to see such potential, and see no further development.
Thankfully Modular IV and Solaris are a success..

BTW Warp69, your verbs sound so much better on the STM2448 and the XITE-1 now.
The Inverse is really so close to the priginal algo I can't tell the difference..
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: But it's depressing to see such potential, and see no further development.
Thankfully Modular IV and Solaris are a success..
I am sure, if there is a way, it will come..