MIDI Channel Changer w/ OMNI Out

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

MIDI Channel Changer w/ OMNI Out

Post by dawman »

Title says it all.
This means I can use a Single Panic Button on a single channel instead of 16 channels which needs 16 knobs or buttons...
Ankyu.
at0m

Re: MIDI Channel Changer w/ OMNI Out

Post by at0m »

http://www.blitter.com/~russtopia/MIDI/ ... /reset.htm

Not sure if FFh works on Scope, though, but it should, according to the MIDI specs...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Brotha' Man at0m.......

" A Reset message should never be sent automatically by any MIDI device. Rather, this should only be sent when a musician specifically tells a device to do so. "

This is something I totally agree with. Wolf has an AUTO button for reset and it is very slow to engage and seems it only works sometimes.
Thats why I am glad to see that it has a Manual reset button that accepts MIDI CC's.

From what I can tell I can't do what I want even in Modular, but I haven't given up.
I am afraid I will have to walk over using 1 x instance of the Panic Button and manually use it on each MIDI channel until the notes clear.
Sure beats a re boot during a gig, but it sure seems like we could use a Panic Button with OMNI and MIDI Channels 1-16 in the front and back end.

Below yuou can see that the Reset and AUTO Buttons can have MIDI CC's added.
If only OMNI was a choice on the channel selector.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

not so easy to understand WHAT you need;

i needed this for testing_
maybe it helps;

pressing the SEND button your sending:

the midimessage ( in dec) you like;
on the midichannel (or all) you like;
as often you like;

hope you like it vibes from vienna
Attachments
MidiMG.zip
(25.03 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
David

Post by David »

1stly, thank you for this device.

I was expecting an in-line midi device (input and output like Wolf's) this is not a problem but do I take it that I can connect this to all devices requiring a Midi-Reset message by using a midi merge module before the midi input of the device which is needing a reset message? (surely this is the intended way?)

Is it possible to make the Send button assignable to a Midi CC message? - I understand this probably seems a little odd considering I'm this device to send a midi reset, but it would help me to use this device with a hardware (external) reset button?

Many thanks for these good vibes, I do realise this device can do so much more than originally requested and is a terrifcally useful tool

very grateful
feg
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

basicaly no probl.
but this would maybe no good vibes to hamburg im afraid_
wolfs device does a great job;
if it dont work a button is still better than a restart me thinks;
so please take it as a free addition to a great bundle everyone should have_

sorry and good vibes
David

Post by David »

the point is appreciated and I hadn't thought of that!

still very grateful
dawman

Post by dawman »

I don't understand what message I should type in...?
I really appreciate the device, and it looks as though I might be able to type some MIDI language and use it.
I have no idea how to do that though.
I was wondering if its possible to attacha MIDI CC to the send button....?
I basically am looking for a MIDI Note off/on switch to act as a reset ( panic button ) for stuck notes.
I have Wolfs stuff but having to use 16 buttons for each project is really adding alot of extra gunk....

Thanks tgstgs

Good Vibes From Vegas............
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

sys reset /progr change/ all note off/song select . . . generate whatever message you like;

see here for more info about midimessages
http://www.midi.org/techspecs/midimessages.php

good vibes
wolf

Post by wolf »

" A Reset message should never be sent automatically by any MIDI device. Rather, this should only be sent when a musician specifically tells a device to do so. "

This is something I totally agree with. Wolf has an AUTO button for reset and it is very slow to engage and seems it only works sometimes.
well .. of course I totally agree with the "automatic" thing and usually hate such stuff, b u t .. this is special "wolf" automatic with some thoughts behind :
If "auto" is on it only sends note off messages after a while of inactivity in the input *and* immedeatly stops to send note offs as soon as something is again reaching input. This means there is never ever nowhen nowhere nada nix nullo sent out as long as you are playing.
That's why it sometimes may look like it doesn't work (and of course midi needs to be routed through it to make it happen).

I understand your point of having 16 surfaces to look for .. extremly disturbing too.
I just want to remind that sending midi in OMNI mode is not possible and simply sending all channels would needlessly draw bandwidth away so other solutions are needed.
I'll get back to scop'ing in about 5-6 weeks, after a nice break from all & everything, so stay tuned.
wolfs device does a great job
thanks for the flowers :)
David

Post by David »

Thanks for the reply, it does make clearer what is and what is not possible for this device.
I look forward to the return to development Wolf, & hopefully a solution.

Thanks guys for looking at this

feg
at0m

Post by at0m »

XITE-1/4LIVE, how about using a single instance of Wolf's device, diverted to all channels using 15 extra Channel Changer's from Alfonso? That should get you what you want, although pretty cubersome eh. But it will do the job!
at0m

Post by at0m »

Oh, great to see you hacked your way around it already :)