"Patchname to Program Change" MIDI device

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chisel

"Patchname to Program Change" MIDI device

Post by Chisel »

I use Ableton Live 8 and the one feature that I wish it had was some type of patchname script like Cubase and Logic support. I use the external instrument device to send MIDI to and receive audio from my hardware devices. Then it got me thinking, all I need is a MIDI device that would map patch names to MSB/LSB/PC messages. It could read in a text file or have a built-in editor to list the mapping of patches to MIDI messages. I work exclusively in XTC, so it would need to support XTC mode also. Is it possible to create something like this in Scope?

Peace \/
chisel316
siriusbliss

Re: "Patchname to Program Change" MIDI device

Post by siriusbliss »

This would be nice.

Live is not as advanced as people rave about. It doesn't even send MSB/LSB messages very easily.
Otherwise in Live, you can at least label the cells with the patch name.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

siriusbliss wrote:This would be nice.

Live is not as advanced as people rave about. It doesn't even send MSB/LSB messages very easily.

Greg
I've never heard anyone raving about lives advanced midi capabilities either lol Best bet is to rewire in those instances. The arguement that a +£600 package should offer this would be valid but then no other package yet offers the advanced timestretching algo's and gui for live applications although logic and cubase are now taking steps in that direction.

Anyway chisel I found this over at kvr: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3696283 may be useful?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

irrelevance wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:This would be nice.

Greg
The arguement that a +£600 package should offer this would be valid but then no other package yet offers the advanced timestretching algo's and gui for live applications although logic and cubase are now taking steps in that direction.
Samplitude has better timestretching algos than Live - hands down. I'm forced to use Live in a theater production since the producer already had it (and they're paying the bill). I would've preferred to use Samplitude for this live production, but it wasn't an option. Live's WARP feature is cool, and Samplitude is adding this to their existing audio quantize/stretch features. However, I find Live's algos very grainy, and the program tends to warp long wav files even when the warp is turned off (known bug). There are a LOT of features that a V8 product should have - especially for live production, but it doesn't.

In the meantime, I'm using MIDI-OX to transform incoming MIDI commands into other commands. At least in MIDI-OX I can name the input / output ports and patch names.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

See also this :
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=26178

Discussion on having a device for midi sysex rec/playback from within a scope project.