the VHS1 as a device!

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

the VHS1 as a device!

Post by the19thbear »

YES! i would like the VHS1 as a device, with only the most basic controls! :)
erminardi

Re: the VHS1 as a device!

Post by erminardi »

mee too :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

What's the VHS1?

Please tell me it's a perfect, one-to-one recreation of my old Grundig video player!

:D
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

chris, you are more right than you think ;)

check it out (its called vcr1 though, not vhs1) at http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... 15&t=26172

Oh, you MUST listen to the example mp3!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Yeah, the demo mp3 is seriously warped. Sounds a bit like one of those Dharma initiative videos in lost (sound quality wise).
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Wow...

I was actually joking! Why the fuck would anyone want to make anything sound like it's been through a VHS tape!?

Though now that I come to think of it, I probably could find a use for such a device... Hopefully the UI would include a crappy old remote control, with bits of sellotape around the edges to hold the battery in place - and chew marks from where my dog bit it!

Actually, even better would be to have the front of the Grundig video player as the main panel, but there'd also be a big sofa that you had to click on between some of the cushions to bring up the remote control! It could even have such advanced features as 'SP/LP mode', or maybe even 'Set Timer'...

Seriously though...

WHY!?
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

OMFG!

I hadn't heard the demo before I posted... that is FUCKING GENIUS! Makes me want to grow a mullet and fuck girls with really hairy muffs! To a background of cheesey '80s synth-pop! With a camera rolling in the corner! While never actually fixing the refrigerator!

Quality.

I want it now! I can actually hear how most of it was done (the 60Hz hum is quite authentic, but for the benefit of those living in the UK with perfect absolute pitch, can you include a UK/US switch that makes it 50Hz?) The wow & flutter are awesome, and I love the filtering!

Fan - fucking - tastic!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Ken's patch gives you the hum, noise & filtering, but I think those wow & flutter effects in his demo were created by other means.
spefor

Post by spefor »

the19thbear wrote:YES! i would like the VHS1 as a device, with only the most basic controls! :)
+2 :lol:
Please Shroomz ! do it for us. Thank U.
scope pro,sdk 4, bx digital, bx control, das rmx160, das dynamic bundle, das reverb bundle.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I don't have time free to make it, but there's plenty other people who might. In fact there's at least 3 of you on this thread saying you want this that all have an sdk, so get your fingers out. :lol:

Mark
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Shroomz~> wrote:In fact there's at least 3 of you on this thread saying you want this that all have an sdk, so get your fingers out. :lol:
Advantage: Shroomz~> :lol:
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I hadn't heard the demo before I posted... that is FUCKING GENIUS! Makes me want to grow a mullet and fuck girls with really hairy muffs! To a background of cheesey '80s synth-pop! With a camera rolling in the corner! While never actually fixing the refrigerator!
"while never actually fixing the refrigerator!"... classic!!! You also nailed it.. I was wondering about the 50hz folks. easy to tune in the mod patch.

hehe, VHS-1 might not be a bad name, i actually kind of like it.
Actually, the one I posted on mod forum uses the insert shell, so while tweaking it might be drag, if you just want to put it in an insert and stick with the default settings, it's quite simple.

but thanks guys, it is an honor to even be on the wishlist.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

stardust wrote:yeah :D but my clumsy fingers wont play the tune with the atoms right ;)
That's not likely mate. :wink:
voidar

Post by voidar »

Just letting people know I'm working on something here :).

A bit to early to release it and I might want to redo the whole circuit with atoms instead of mod-modules. I am also thinking of giving it true-stereo capabilites in all its impressive glory ;)..

Controls from left to right are:

Hum w. 50/60Hz toggle -> generic noise -> crackle & crackle intensity -> overall signal to noise control.
Attachments
VHS-1 MC.jpg
VHS-1 MC.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Nice visual idea! Super! :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

hahaha, awesome man! mullet core...
You might also want to add controls for the tape speed error (the mod delay) so you can control the amount and also the speed of the sin lfo. Just speaking off the top of my head.

Stereo would be awesome, just be sure to have the width controlable so you can choose to go mono. The earlier decks were mono anyway.

If you have any good ideas for things to replace the distortion units with, that'll be great too.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Already on top of the stereo/mono thing. As I remember, the stereo encoded component on a VHS was pretty high-fidelity compared to the mono component, to the degree that cassette deckers would use them for their masters. I've already incorporated a "fidelity" knob that seamlessly morphs between the bandpass circuits and might just settle for that as a solution.

Adjustable tape-speed error is a good idea, though I think the original setting was awesome.

As for the dist-stage; I've redone the whole circuit with SDK modules as I got some surface errors if I choose to optimize the device ("XTC-compatible") when using modular modules, though I am not completely there yet. I found I have to use less distortion than the mod-patch as of now, but I am working on it.
Maybe I could substitute it for a ECC83 stage, hehe. As this device is sort of turning more into a general lo-fi thing. Staying with the GUI though :).

Cheers..:!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

awesome looks great!
voidar

Post by voidar »

Been a bit delay on this one. I mean, it's basically finished, but I want to do some more work on it. Please use the modular version in the mean time ;)..

I might also want to improve on the devices circuit.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

cool! take your time! i'm sure it will be done before the release of the xite... :D