Extended MIDI controller features for Scope/XITE

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Would you find this Midi control expansion ...

Necessary
85%
Usefull
15%
Not of any use (mouse freaks) ;)
No votes

Total votes: 13

HUROLURA

Extended MIDI controller features for Scope/XITE

Post by HUROLURA »

The idea would be to be able to gain midi control capabilities on scope devices using more than the 120 Midi CC messages for each midi channel.

Expansion would be possible through Polyphonic Pressure Messages (as used in the former NOAH unit) and NRPN midi message. This would mean an expansion from 120 to 376 control messages.

The idea would be to allow extensive use of MIDI controller unit like MIDI controller keyboards or MIDI controller (especially in my situation: my novation X-station and couple of Behringer BCR-2000 which offer me : 150 + 110 + 110 = 370 midi control elements).

The additionnal requirement would be a set of SDK DSP modules update providing these features.

Maybe already under way.

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Just to illustrate what I mean in term of MIDI controller setup, here is mine ...

PS: I also have an "old" Kawai MM-16 used for main mixer control (16 channel volume).
Attachments
Mixer control additionnal midi controller
Mixer control additionnal midi controller
mm16.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Device control setup:<br />370 messages available, can be splitted to control 3 devices but would also be fun for a complex one....
Device control setup:
370 messages available, can be splitted to control 3 devices but would also be fun for a complex one....
Hurolura control surface.jpg (127.85 KiB) Viewed 3051 times
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

It would be great! I think it's quite necessary, such a thing would also be a winning point in competition.

btw, how is the x-station, quality wise (faders, smoothness, solidity)?
It looks very interesting.
Lima

Post by Lima »

Seeing the complexity of the projects we can build with our boards I think it's necessary.
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
dawman

Post by dawman »

OSC is the future for sure, but for the immediate time NRPN would be extremly helpful.

My ancient Yamaha DMP7 w/ the QX-1 was capable of 256 MIDI CC's w/ motorized faders. That was in 1986 too.

The fact that modern day controllers can make use of even more messages, 384 I believe, should be utilized.

Hurolura's rig looks like heaven for a DJ.

The knobs I often use are for effects rates and depths where precision is not vital, since the knobs are often not as precise as a fader or expression pedal.

But my favorite precision controller is my 4 zone ribbon.

It was made years ago and are quite rare but it can be applied in many unconventional ways.

For fades on a song it has no equal as it is turned into a giant 24" fader !! It can do 2 or 4 synth Bi-dirctional glides w/ 2 fingers while I sustain the synths with a pedal.

It's conversion of CV's make it a must for analog synths also.

A very wise idea HUROLURA. :wink: Thanks for reminding me of something I always seem to overlook.

BTW, with your current set-up you would really love one of these. If interested, contact Arturia of France, they are close to you, and bought out all of the remaining controllers I believe years back to help sell their CS-80' emulation ( quack :lol: ).

http://www.synthesizers.com/expressionmate.html
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Hi Jimmy,

I think it would probably come as an extra bundle with the very first Origin synthesizer...

Would this other system provided by doepfer and called R2M could be an alternate choice:
http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

I forgot to mention I also use a Yamaha WX-5 as a realtime MIDI controller to get some alternative monophonic way of playing (I used to play some wind instruments when I was a child). As already mentionned: it is the reason why you find the "breath control" message on my plug(s).

The X-station touchpad zone is also a great feature I am thinking to use for vector type control (though a joystick would also do the job).

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

alfonso wrote:
btw, how is the x-station, quality wise (faders, smoothness, solidity)?
It looks very interesting.
A bit Off Topic but here are my feeling about the X-station:
- first contact with the knobs make me think they are a bit too small and too close to each other (I am more used to encoders with knob of the size found on BCR 2000, NOAH/ASB units, Waldorf Synth), but getting used to them, they can do the job. The other trick is that most of them are pot (16) rather than encoders (3 with click feeling though which could be usefull for fine step adjustment)
- the faders are maybe a bit small
- the control surface being organised as a classic synth is smart and easy for synth plug-in control (if I had time enough, I would have build up X-station templates for the NOAH as I did with the BCR 2000, but my plug-in synth project will probably hold me busy a few more months)
- the integrated synth and effect section sounds quite good (almost a A-Station, K-Station here though monotimbral and limited 8 notes polyphony)
- the display is helpfull to see the parameter you are modifying
- the template building software is correct and works good (though not necessary if you accept to "type" the text with the data/value knob - especially when far away from any computer)
- the unit is really compact (with the too close control element drawback as a consequence)

My feeling in general is that X-station is more synth-oriented as BCR 2000 units are more "generic" ones (no surprise here !!!).

CheerZ
dawman

Post by dawman »

i've never used one but I am sure any company that makes Modular synth modules surely knows wassup.

I am waiting for a joystick on Solaris. If that doesn't come it would be my only option left to get.

I used a BC Yamaha type for brass on my old ancient ( R.I.P.) TX816. It was very dynamic but I hated the faces I made. I was unaware until I sawe some promo shots, and realised I looked like a blowfish.

But wind controllers are much more advanced these days. I'd love to hear a synth played by one sometime.