adjust echo speed without clicks

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

the19thbear

adjust echo speed without clicks

Post by the19thbear »

HI.. i havent seen ANY tape echo emulations here that allow you to change the echo speed without causing clicks in the audio output.
is this simply impossible with the sdk??
thanks alot!
Lima

Post by Lima »

I've already asked for it years ago:
http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ight=delay

Seems that actually there aren't enought atoms to build it in a cheap way (low dsp demand).
If I didn't remember badly, one of the mighty developers have done an experimental version some time ago wich eated almost a pulsar pro :eek:
Welcome to the dawning of a new empire
dawman

Post by dawman »

Lexicon PCM81 controled via MIDI CC's. :wink:
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

scope4live wrote:Lexicon PCM81 controled via MIDI CC's. :wink:
make a zipfile of it, then, and upload it :D
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
astroman

Post by astroman »

that made me remember this discussion... ;)

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I don't have much time to write this, but it's worth pointing out that with most delays & delay based FX in Scope (for example), what you perceive as clicks or zippers, is infact the artefacts produced by reducing the clicks to a minimum by means of muting the delay's output whenever the delay time is changed. This is something that's been programmed in the dsp code of the delay atoms without variables & to be avoided, requires relatively severe workarounds such as the one Warp69 mentions in the thread Astroman provided a link to.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

a "trick" to acomplish this could be to recognize a delay change by a little algorithm and if there is a change, then simply set feedback to 0 and mute the delay also.

once the delay is set to its new value, the delay is unmuted and feedback set to its original value.

I guess this could work.

a second trick could be to use two delay with intelligent algorithm and blending the between the two stages.

depends a bit on the needs.

This simplest workaround i use if i wanna change the delay in realtime in a mix, is to setup two audio channels with different setup delays and then place the sample in the host sequencer one time on channel a and if i want the different delay i move the audio sample to the other track. for sure this doe not modulate the delay time but its a nice effect for breaks in a mix where a sample gets a shorter feedback with more feedback.