Combining 2 Signals To Mono Out

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Combining 2 Signals To Mono Out

Post by dawman »

Is there a device or module that can take 2 signals and sum them to a mono output?
hubird

Post by hubird »

any mixer with a Mono button on the master, like the STM 24/48 :-)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Brosky,

But I was thinking of a small module or device that could be used between my mix outs, and an ADAT Destination Module.

Here it is in a nutshell. My production show is making me earn my money, this is a whole new group of cackling hens. They heard my Rotary cabinet and have convinced the stage mangager to buy one. I have to admit these girls are much more dedicated. I showed them how to route an audio channel of the DAS into the B2003 and use the C Vibrato, and Leslie emulation but after hearing the background vocals on a real Leslie on the Dark Side Of The Moon album, then hearing mine, they at least can HEAR the difference, so I'll give them credit there. But the Pro 3X has a mono input, and their sends are stereo. Hence the need for a small module between the stereo outs to a device that converts the 2 signals to mono.

I do not mind putting in extra time when such motivation is abound.

So much for the 3 month pre production / collect a check strategy. :D

Thanks for your suggestion though.
spacef

Post by spacef »

2 mono channels with same pan (full left or right). or centered pan. (you can adjust the gain of each channel in the pan by moving the pan also). I think a dynamixer is enough for this (then you use 1 output pad of the master).

I think there a even simpler "mix" dev somewhere on the device forum (not sure it does this though).
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Doesn't the über-simple 'Channel' mixer have a 'mono' button? Just feed that with a stereo signal and the outputs will be mono-summed. I'm sure I've done pretty much what you describe using that. At the very least, I know for a fact that the Micro Mixer has a mono button (it just takes up a bit more space, as there's a minimum of four channels, IIRC).

Cheers,

Chris
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

modular module, audioinput 1 and audioinput2 into audio output 1?
maky325

Post by maky325 »

micro mixer+stereo pan plugin...stereo pan alone?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ockham's Razor..... :lol:

I tried the Modular idea and it appeared to work when I connected the first channel in the lower section of the STM1632, when making the second connection an error message appeared saying the connection isn't allowed.

A nice idea though.

It seems that the panning of both channels to the left is the best solution ATM.

But since this is a device / module wishlist, I wish for a nice channel device like the SL9000, or Celmo's X-Machine, that allows compression, dynamic gate and EQ, and can sum the audio to a mono output.

Celmo's X actually has a mono DSP saver switch, but it allows the use of the left channel only. Too bad.

I will try inserting the X or the SL9000 into the insert slot of the stock CW Channel, and pan the audio left or right.

Thanks For All Of The Ideas Guys, :wink:
voidar

Post by voidar »

dawman

Post by dawman »

VOIDAR..........My Brotha' !!!

Exactamente !! It sounds right also as I tried other techniques like panning stereo hard left, Modular, etc. This is exactly what I needed.

I owe you for this one.

If you are interested in a Sore Dick Deal on external hardware effects, let me know.

I have a Lexicon PCM81, DoD Spring w/ 16" optimisations, Oberheim EDP, Lexicon Prime Time Model 93, and a Lexicon Vortex.

They will be shown very soon, and you can have first shot for a super Sore Dick Deal.

Thanks Buddy, I really needed both of these, they're perfect, and phase correct to boot. :D
voidar

Post by voidar »

Glad to be of help, but I thought these were well known devices :)..

Not sure if I need anything. But what is the DoD Spring?
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's a hardware spring reverb with custom 16" springs inside of a 1U rack.

I got Celmo's Spring, MCCY's Spring, and Celmos Stereo EchoReq 2 to use instead of the B4000 and external hardware.

B4000 will be my redundant spare if I have a crash. Got it on ebay for 225 and the spring for 100 USD.